I hate Sony BMG

deganawida

I hate Sony BMG. This morning I got a priority one request (I work tech support for a local university; for those who remember/care, I'm no longer with the local Board of Education, and now make twice what I did before) about a PC experiencing memory dumps. I log on, see the error report, and what do I find? "This error is caused by the Sony BMG-First 4 Internet software." For those who don't know what that relates to, it's the bloody rootkit and copy-protection software that Sony BMG installed on audio CDs which installs on PCs even if the "reject" option is selected. The bloody software is compromising our systems.

So, anyway, now I have to pour through tons of info and the program itself to try to find the *.exes so that ZenWorks can block it. I'm ticked.

EDIT: It's not the work I mind, but the fact that we might have hundreds of compromised systems.

Edited by deganawida

Sony BMG's the worst one of the bunch... In my last job as music director at an Internet radio site, they would send us CDs for us to play... but the CDs were coded with something that prevented the computers from playing the songs. What the hell did they expect us to do with those? Use them as coasters? Listen to them on our CD players and think, "Yeah, that's a good song... Boy, I wish I was able to play the damn thing on our stations."? THEY ARE INTERNET STATIONS! WE HAVE TO COPY THE MUSIC TO PLAY IT!

Honestly. I've got no patience with Sony BMG. Dealing with labels is something I definitely don't miss from that job.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

Could you write a bot program that scans your system via the network and remove the program for you?

Removing the program has to be done a certain way, due to the hooks the rootkit uses. Failure to remove it properly deletes the optical drives from the PC.

Microsoft is actually now treating it as spyware, and does have some updates for it, but I'm not sure if those updates are under the automatic function. It took Microsoft a long time to go from "legitimate business practice" (which, FYI, is what Symantec and MacAfee classify the rootkit as) to "spyware". They may have it hidden so as not to tick Sony off.

There's a removal tool on their website, isn't there?

From what I hear its a stupid complicated process that really doesn't need to be stupid complicated. You have to like email them a request for the removal tool, then they'll email you back to confirm, then they'll send you a unique download link thats only active for 48 hours or something stupid and I think the file is encrypted or some dumb thing like that. They don't want to make it easy to fix their mistakes.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You don't have the intellectual capacity to bait someone, Hades. You just squirm around various internet forums and shout your nonsensical garbage, but no one hears, no one ever hears, Hades. They don't hear you anymore. They're tired and they don't care. So go on with your shouting, your hollering, your crazed whimpering, but realise please, that none of us here have hearts big enough to truly give a damn.

I merely pointed out that you do not posses the capacity to genuinely bait someone.* I did not defend my failings. I attacked yours.

I do not really care about your opinions, your views or your ideals, banal as they may be. But mocking various internet personae drives a wheeze of passion into my heart.

Though, we have reached an interesting situation. We're locked in this little venom-dripping discussion. But as you're not smart enough to discern sarcasm, I must declare that I was the first to bait. I win. You lose.

*Or perhaps you do, but only when the baitee desires to be baited. Which poses a few interesting philosophical questions. Would baiting someone who desires to be baited constitute a baiting? Why are we here? Why did mommy castrate my younger brother Charles?

Edited by Baley

That's not quite an alpha male-like behaviour. I expected more of you, Hades. Even on the internet us testosterone-driven beasties should seek to challenge our bitter rivals. This is oh so disappointing. I'll have to do something meaningful with my life now. For shame, Hades, for shame!

But that's how the world works, it twists and strangles you, apparently benevolent, apparently kind and honest and decent, it's all a master's ruse, a charade. It's final goal is to make brave men surrender to heterosexual lust! All for the species' continuous survival! Bah!

Edited by Baley

HA HA! >_<

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf