Mass Effect Hype Preview

http://www.actiontrip.com/features/e32006masseffect.phtml

It sounds like we're gonna have a real universe this time.... and, finally someoen tells the truth - this isn't 'shooter combat'; but typical BIO RT combat (good or bad depending on your view <>).

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

P.S. The other thread was robbed so I'm starting a new REAL ME thread... at least for 1 page hopefully. :D

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well.. it's true. Both KOTORs tended to ahve worlds that consisted of town-small travel area-dunegon.

Hopefully, ME will squash that silliness and have TRUE worlds.

"I should stick this thread in the Kotor forums and let the fanbois have a go at you."

LOL I'm mostly refeerring to the worlds as actual worlds thing. :D Either way: BRING IT ON. :thumbsup:

Edited by Volourn

Nah. No worries there. I have a whole universe to high from them; not just one small desert. (w00t)

Anyways, I really want to see this 'new' dialogue system in action. :thumbsup:

Interesting aspects of this game for me would be the exploration side of things (exploring newly discovered planets actually makes sense in the context of the player's role), as well as approches to storytelling (emphasis on body language, 'real-time' conversation interface). Not a system-seller for me, though.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"I thought this was an action game?"

It's an Action RPG. the combat from what I can see is described ala KOTOR. PC + 2npcs, you make decisions, character stats effect success, you cha have AI control npcs or you can switch to them and control and you can pause to give orders.

Sound slike KOTOR combat to me. Hoepfully, it's deeper and more challenging though.

And, there are non combat skills and dialogue ones have been confirmed in the various previews.

Those peeps at Bioware really know how to use the Unreal Engine to its full extent.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The game looks stunning, but im dissapointed I will never play it :huh: maybe they will port it to PC a few years from now when the hype is gone with Halo 3 ;)

Now what I would like to see in this game are "true" worlds, but by that I mean a planet with more than one eco system. the only Kotor game to show that was 2 with Telos. I mean you get your "desert" planets and "jungle" planets, but if you look at our planet you can find all known eco systems. I wonder how many planets you would be able to visit, I mean the universe is infinite...

I hope BioWare use their creativity to create a new kind of eco system that is truely *alien* [i.e. more than just deserts or jungles with alien animals ;)]

Edited by aerowars617

got a half-page preview from some site we ain't familiar with, written by a guy we never heard of.

'members that black & white won all sorts of Best of e3 awards from a number of different reputable sites.

am gonna wait for somebody we respect to play and give feedback... rather than reliance on mr. smapdey.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ME Combat (as described):

1. Stats effect outcomes

2. You can control the npcs or allow AI to control them in battle

3. You can pause to give commands

Sure sounds like IE combat, and any BIO combat system. Though, it's combat has been described by BIO as closest to KOTOR. (but hooepfully it's much better).

And, it won't take much to have better rping than the Bgs.

R00fles!

It just looked like you were calling the BG games action games which is wrong. It looks to me that ME is a merger of the style used in KotOR and JE, though I would rather see them do a merger of NWN and BG... Oh hell, how Obsidian is doing NWN 2, but that sort of gameplay might be too much for the console kiddies to handle.

"It just looked like you were calling the BG games action games which is wrong."

Well.. they do have lots of action... what do you call having to fight an army xvarts? :D

But, yeah, ME will probably closer to an 'action' combat style than BG... like I said, closer to a mix of JE/KOTOR.

But, the actual role-playing, if previews are accurate, should be at least on the level of JE (which means better than BG).

My biggest worry is the 'new' dialogue system they have... that could turn out ugly...