2006 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

Guest The Architect

****! Guus Hiddink has just announced that Kewell is not playing. BAH! Nonetheless, BRING ON ITALY! REMEMBER WHAT WE DID IN KAISERSLAURTEN! Don't underestimate us Italy or you'll suffer the consequence of elimination.

Good Luck Australia, because the only Dutch men left in the Tournament are Guus Hiddink and Johan Neeskens.

I'm devistated since yesterday. Damn, I still can't believe what happened that night. We totally didn't deserve to lose against them sad Portuguese players. And the referee wasn't helping us either. Now we can go home thanks to Luis Figo and it's queer-squad.

Didn't Jaap Stam retire from International football? When the Dutch qualified, he should have come out of International retirement like Nedved, Zidane and Figo did. IMO, he's still a class defender, he's not the player he once was, but the Netherlands could have done with his intimidating presence in the World Cup. When I saw the Netherlands 23 man squad, I always wondered why Davids, Seedorf and Maakay weren't in it, for me, it was one of those WTF moments. I'm surprised that Boateng, Reiziger and Zenden were overlooked too, yes, they are old and not as good as what they used to be but IMO they are better than some of the subs and reserves that the Dutch had in their squad, for me, if I was the manager of Holland, Davids, Seedorf, Maakay, Reiziger, Zenden, Boateng and Stam (if I could convince him to come out of retirement) would be in my Dutch 23...

Yeah. After Euro 2004 Jaap Stam retired from International football. He wanted to focus on AC Milan and his family. However, Marco van Basten recently asked Stam if he wanted to return into the Dutch squad. Unfortunatly he refused. But after this summer, Stam will go back to Holland and will play for my favorite team AFC Ajax. Stam will play less matches because the Dutch Premier League contains less teams then the Italian Serie A and perhaps he will think of a comeback in the Dutch squad, but the chances are still going to be very small.

About the players you missed in the Dutch team: Roy Makaay is a great striker, but when he wears the beautiful orange shirt, he plays bad, because he isn't a ideal striker for the Dutch squad. Makaay didn't even made it into the last 33 players and I don't think he won't play for us in the next two years, because he has some serious competition for his place as second striker. His name is Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. He scored over 33 goals in the last season for Ajax and it was a big suprise when Van Basten called up Vennegoor for the last 23 instead of Huntelaar.

Reiziger also retired from International football since Euro 2004. He doesn't play well anymore the last years and he suffered a lot of injuries. These days he's just a subsitution at PSV Eindhoven. Although he said a couple of months ago that he still wants to play for the Dutch team, Van Basten did not gave him another chance because he isn't in top shape and he doesn't play full matches anymore.

Edgar Davids was in the early months of Van Basten's career at the Dutch team captain. But after he didn't played matches anymore at his club, Van Basten decided that Davids shouldn't belong into the Dutch squad until he found a new team. But after last summer, when Davids moves to the Spurs, he still didn't get his invitation for the squad, except for one useless last game against FYROM. Now it seems that Van Basten ignores Davids. I regret it, because he's still one of the best.

As for Clarence Seedorf. For the last two years, Seedorf is fully ignored by Van Basten, for an unkown reason. He plays well at AC Milan, but most of the people hate him because he played like **** a couple of recent games in the Dutch team and because he always misses penalty's. Maybe that's why Van Basten ignores Seedorf for over two years.

And as for Boudewijn Zenden and Boateng. Well, Zenden had a great season with Middlesbrough. But Van Basten was on the Dutch tour. He prefered players from the Dutch league like Van den Bergh, Babel and Bobson on his position. And he didn't wanted Zenden playing like a leftback of leftmidfielder because Zenden isn't a defender and as a midfielder he couldn't play in a 4-3-3. After Zenden went to Liverpool he suffered from diverse injuries and he didn't play all the time so he is forgotten.

George Boateng is a great player, but Van Basten simply prefered the young Wesley Sneijder for his position. Sneijder was at the moment in great shape (But he lost is somehow).

And everyone in the pub was laughing at how much of a loser Ronaldo was being. By all rights, that shouldn't injure an eight year old girl.

So that makes the foul okay?!? :p

He was taken out of the game, so your argument seems woefully biased to me.

They knew Bouhlarouz is our best player, and they just played to get him out. If he was involved with something like that, the slightest wrong move would get him sent off the field and Portugal knew it.

Yes, but I can't blame Figo for it - it was pure acting too, when that dutch player tried to convince the ref that Figo had made a headbutt. And when the ref is then so weak as to fall for it, yet won't pull the red card that should then follow, then I really can't fault Figo for overdoing it later. Besides, why aren't you blaming Bouhlarouz for being an idiot? Of course this is likely to happen if he decides to put an elbow right in Figo's face. Bouhlarouz deserves the Mickey Mouse award of the month for being a completely brainless fool.

I'm not a sore loser, I'm actually proud of my team for being better players.

Like I said, we're actually the winners here. There is zero respect for Portugal and their players here right now. The only reason we lost is because the ref missed Maniche's red card offense early in the game.

Yes, that's so unbiased - the defense rests...

As for how criminal Figo was, he HEADBUTTED Van Bommel in the FACE when nothing was happening. This is how foul Portugal was playing, and it's utterly disgusting. Oh, and next time someone goes down, Portugal needs to stop flocking around them so nobody else can reach them. I know one of our players pushed them away the last time this happened, but what that player should have done and what the Portugese player deserved was a swift kick to the groin, and they're lucky we're better than that.

I didn't see it as a headbutt. To me it just like he pushed his head close and lightly touched Van Bommel. Stupid, yes, but scarcely a headbutt. Von Bommel deserves an Oscar for it, though, and the ref deserves to be sent home for falling for it. As I said, if the ref thinks Figo made a headbutt, then he should sent Figo off. Instead it's just 'oh, I didn't see it, but you seem to have done something, so here's a yellow card'. What a pathetic ref!

But seriously, I do think Portugal deserved the win. They were no better or worse than Holland when came to fouls or play, but they could at least score. Maniche's goal was a true beauty, whereas Holland was woefully ineffective in that department. I went away thinking the right team won... and that football lost... ;)

Feel sad for them. I can see their effort and enthusiasm that they put in. When Viduka chased the ball that was obviously overhit all the way to the side in the first half that was obvious.

Unfortunately they met and lost to the team that I support.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Yup, it was.  I think Iaqinta could have dragged his leg over Lucas Neil if he tried to but he didn't.

Yeah... it was weak by the ref, though - that was a fairly cheap penalty to say the least, and Iaquinta got exactly what he was trying for. I think Italy might still have won, because I don't see the Aussies keeping up that pressure for another 30 minutes, but even so, I'm not likely to remember that game ending in a way that was all fair and okay...

Still, Australia has won a lot of respect. Anyone who says they're not good enough after this world cup should have his head examined. On a good day they'll beat anybody IMHO.

Yes, but I can't blame Figo for it - it was pure acting too, when that dutch player tried to convince the ref that Figo had made a headbutt.

Dude, it was SHOWN in the REPEAT over TWENTY TIMES

It was, and that is how I reached my conclusion. And I see I'm not the only one here who thinks so either...

There is no think about it. Figo hit Van Bommel with a headbutt. There is zero deniability in this case. Next thing you know, you'll be denying that Van De Sar was kicked in the face. That's just pure dingo.

EDIT: Heck, they just showed the repeat again, and that was no "nudge".

Edited by TrueNeutral

There is no think about it. Figo hit Van Bommel with a headbutt. There is zero deniability in this case. Next thing you know, you'll be denying that Van De Sar was kicked in the face. That's just pure dingo.

Yes, it was.

Edit: I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten the red though. He should.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You've said that before and I'll answer again; that was barely a headbutt and Van Bommel didn't react in pain until he realized he might get Figo sent off.

Heja Sverige!!

Yes, it was.

Edit: I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten the red though. He should.

Agreed. Bloody stupid of Figo, but either it's a nudge and not so bad, or it's a straight headbutt and should give straight red. Seemed more like the former to me. But if the ref thinks it's worse, then it should have been a red card right there.

It's not the force of the headbutt that counts, it's the action itself. It's like when Beckham kicked that italian player when lying down (Euro 2000?) and got sent off. He missed the kick, but because he tried to kick another player deliberately, he was sent off anyhow. Figo headbutted the dutch player so no matter if he missed, hit weakly or hit him hard, he should be sent off.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Exactly.

Heja Sverige!!

It's not the force of the headbutt that counts, it's the action itself. It's like when Beckham kicked that italian player when lying down (Euro 2000?) and got sent off. He missed the kick, but because he tried to kick another player deliberately, he was sent off anyhow. Figo headbutted the dutch player so no matter if he missed, hit weakly or hit him hard, he should be sent off.

Agreed, but I still can't tell whether that was a deliberate headbutt or not. It did not seem violent enough to me to count as such when it happened, even after watching several replays of it.

But yes, if the ref thought it was a headbutt - attempted or otherwise - then that's a red card.