2006 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

The results have been going according to expectations so far. The closest thing to an upset is France drawing against Switzerland, plus the "flair" teams like Holland, Brazil, Portugal have been scraping through on a goal. Same for England though I wouldn't call them a flair side though I expected them to do better.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

England has never been more than a 1 goal win / draw side in recent years, especially with Eriksson. I would also argue that France's fire has been tempered by the freezing crevasses of wind inside Domenech's brain.

On the whole I agree though, until Australia game I have always been able to say who will win around 50-60 min mark.

The results have been going according to expectations so far.  The closest thing to an upset is France drawing against Switzerland, plus the "flair" teams like Holland, Brazil, Portugal have been scraping through on a goal.  Same for England though I wouldn't call them a flair side though I expected them to do better.

Sweden drawing against 10-man T&T?

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Saudi Arabia was held to a draw in stoppage time. :lol:

Part of me was relieved, though. If Saudi Arabia had won, the streets would have been full of people driving around at crazy speeds celebrating the victory and crashing into things.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Late win for Germany. On the one hand I was kind of hoping Poland would win it, but then again I can live without Poland whereas Germany need to do well for the tournament to stay truly hot in the country. We also have the situation with Sweden, because if they finish second in their group they're likely up against Germany.

However, if Ecuador beat Costa Rica by more than one goal and then manage a draw against Germany (after all, Poland nearly did it and Ecuador beat Poland) then Ecuador win the group. It'd feel kinda wacky to win the group and still have to face the Germans, but you still wanna do it. Sweden will need 3 p against Paraguay tomorrow, but I have a bad feeling. 2-0 Paraguay is my prediction.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Late win for Germany. On the one hand I was kind of hoping Poland would win it, but then again I can live without Poland whereas Germany need to do well for the tournament to stay truly hot in the country. We also have the situation with Sweden, because if they finish second in their group they're likely up against Germany.

However, if Ecuador beat Costa Rica by more than one goal and then manage a draw against Germany (after all, Poland nearly did it and Ecuador beat Poland) then Ecuador win the group. It'd feel kinda wacky to win the group and still have to face the Germans, but you still wanna do it. Sweden will need 3 p against Paraguay tomorrow, but I have a bad feeling. 2-0 Paraguay is my prediction.

Actually, i'm more positive on the Sweden-Paraguay game. I'm betting a 1-1, since neither team are really that good.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

England has never been more than a 1 goal win / draw side in recent years, especially with Eriksson. I would also argue that France's fire has been tempered by the freezing crevasses of wind inside Domenech's brain.

On the whole I agree though, until Australia game I have always been able to say who will win around 50-60 min mark.

France haven't scored a goal in the finals since they won in 1998. :ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, discussing 2002 now is pointless. The issue is that they could have fixed the stupid team by now, and they DIDNT. How many freakin world cups do I have to watch until they fix the stupid, stupid team? :ermm:

Edited by Tigranes

Yeah that too.  Spain just brushed aside Ukraine though the sending off and penalty was very harsh.

It wasn't very harsh Atreides, It wasn't penalty, but if he decide the penalty he had to show the red card to the ukranian player, the rules are the rules

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

Yeah that too.  Spain just brushed aside Ukraine though the sending off and penalty was very harsh.

It wasn't very harsh Atreides, It wasn't penalty, but if he decide the penalty he had to show the red card to the ukranian player, the rules are the rules

That's the thing. It seems like the rules are down to the interpretation to the referee and are applied inconsistantly. Refs have let players that tug on jerseys/pants like that go unpunished all the time and suddenly in this case the player's punished.

In the CL that was a clear penalty as it was going to get - Lehman (last man etc) bringing down the player from a clear attacking chance and for the rest of the game the commentators and people were bitching about how the ref should have exercised his "judgement" and not "spoilt" the game.

It would be better if players and the audience knew for sure what the consequences of actions are so they don't waste time arguing about the application of the law.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

REAL men play football.

Funny you should say that. Rules are rules, and thus it was neither a penalty nor the red card. :( No news of rescinding the ban, however, and thats the real pity

Sweden plays Paraguay tonight. It's a must win game for Sweden if we're to have any hopes of advancing from our group. And even if we advance, we'll most likely face a reinvigorated German team. They've looked pretty solid thus far, even though they barely escaped with a win against Poland. Still, they did win it and that says something.

I'm predicting 2-0 for Sweden tonight!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The ref didn't signal a penalty over Luis Garcia before the "penalty" over Torres, and as the ukranian who "made" the penalty was the last defender it was red card, too easy.

Fenghuang, what you call soccer is called here football, sorry :p

REAL men play Rugby not football if what you call footbal is what you can see in the NFL :-

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

Damn, good attempt from Trinidad and Tobago, they managed to hold out for some 80ish minutes against a seemingly defunct English team. They even had several good chances. Would have been fun if they had advanced from the group over England or Sweden, but alas. :-

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

FINALLY A WIN FOR SWEDEN!!

We had like a billion chances again, but everything seemed to go agaisnt us. The refs denied us an almost sure goal, a slow volley was kicked away a few inches before thw goal line and the goalie fell (!) in the right direction on Allb

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!