Realtek audio

I have an Asus p4p800-e motherboard with onboard Realtek sound. The sound just plain doesn't work and I was wondering if any of you gurus out there had any idea what coule be wrong. I went through the troubleshooting and there speakers are on, the sound is not set to mute, the volume is up, etc. Is there something specific I should know? Help.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Probably something to do with the Bios or the Drivers........since that's usually the case. I don't know beyond that, but try the company's site.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I tried Asus, but a search for audio or sound does me no good. I tried Realtek, but there's a lot of crap out there and I was hoping this is some sort of known issue. I have onboard sound enabled in the bios, but I don't know if that means a damned thing. Pain in the ass if I've ever seen one.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I tried Asus, but a search for audio or sound does me no good.  I tried Realtek, but there's a lot of crap out there and I was hoping this is some sort of known issue.  I have onboard sound enabled in the bios, but I don't know if that means a damned thing.  Pain in the ass if I've ever seen one.

I think if it has onboard sound, the drivers would be included with the basic motherboard drivers and wouldn't have stand alone audio drivers.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oh, the drivers are all installed. In fact, the Asus Realtek audio program runs from the right side of my toolbar. It's just not putting out any sound. Before I assume it's a physical problem on the motherboard, which seems unlikely, I'm trying to look into other possibilities. I'm sure it's something simple.

Obsidian Plays

the speakers are on and plugged into the right jacks. In fact, I've tried moving them around. I have the DVD plugged into the audio in inside the box, but I'm not even getting system sounds right now. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Obsidian Plays

I refrained from asking that. I gave him more credit. :D

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Okay, no biggie. Apparently, the older speakers don't work with the Realtek onboard sound, even though they work pefectly fine with Soundblaster live. What a pain in my backside.

Obsidian Plays

I'm glad it all ended well.

The cure-all (after removing the largest root cause of all issues: unplugged cables) for Windows PCs is to uninstall and re-install the drivers.

Sound cards and their drivers are infamous for their dramatic interference with high-demand applications: especially games.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT