DVD-R/RW Not Playing At Proper Speed

deganawida

Hello.

I reloaded my PC a couple of weeks ago, and have since noticed that my DVD-R/RW is not playing DVDs back at the proper speed. Playback is choppy and slow, and also will only show up in WinDVD (I also have RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, DivX, and InterActual Player). I first noticed it Saturday when installing City of Heroes, when I noticed that audio playback during installation was choppy. Last night, I went to play "Batman Begins" on my PC, only to find that none of the players save WinDVD would show any video, and that all players played sound choppily, and noticeably slower (the Willie Wonka song from the ad at the beginning of the DVD was the giveaway).

System:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+

1 GB DDR RAM

140 GB HDD

DVD-R/RW with Lightscribe

NVidia GeForce 6600 LE

I've checked for Starforce, and saw nothing under Non-Plug and Play Devices registered to it. Also, as I said before, DVDs played just fine before I reimaged my PC. Currently, CD audio, as well as all audio files stored on the PC, play without error.

Any advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Correction: I just tried an audio CD, and had playback difficulties. FYI, this PC is only 5 months old, so it should not be worn out.

Edited by deganawida

Nope, it'll be a software switch that changes the CD drive to an old backward-compatible state (sometimes copy protection software, like StarForce, does this).

Can't recall the details at the moment ... there is a registry switch, too, but it is buried deep (I'll look it up later if someone else doesn't post it first).

Not sure about music CDs, though, that shouldn't be affected, IIRC ... :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Meta, since no one has responded, if you don't mind, please post the registry key when you can. Nothing that I have done has worked, and I'd like to try it, to determine if the problem is hardware related. If it is, I will be thoroughly ticked off.

Have you tried this?

Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot after work. I did check my IDE settings and saw that they were all set to DMA, but that article states that there are display problems with that which might be the problem.

Thank you, Diamond.

Anyone else who wishes to suggest a solution, please, let me know. I appreciate all the help I can get.

That's the one I was going to reference ... I'll check my reference for you, too.

PS

This problem may be (is supposed to be?) fixed in Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2)
:lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Thank you all for the help.

The DVD-R/RW is suffering from a hardware problem. However, the system has a full one-year warranty, and I am currently speaking with the vendor to get the drive repaired or replaced.

Again, thank you for the help.