Degrees

Which degrees would impress Development companies the most, and open up the most possibilities with a position for advancement. All the counselors I've talked to know bugger all about it. Hell, they can't even figure out what courses would be useful for helping me brush up on skills needed for CISCO certification.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Let me tell you what I have hard from someone IN the industry. He said if you wanted to get into the Game Development world and especially the programming world, it would help more to go for a Programmer Education.

An Education where you get certified that you know how to program advanced stuff. And not some kind of new Game Developing schools, some which teachs you how to model and stuff... Those things is for absolut amatures. You see, Modelling and Animating is the art part of a game, and art and creativity isnt thing you LEARN IN A BOOK.

Here's my plan, study programming in school, in free time do alot of research using a 3D Software, examples of those is, Autodesk's Maya and 3D Studio Max, also there is this one software called Softimage XSI.

Languages there is BlitzBASIC, which you could take and learn programming fast with. Also there is C++ which is the Industries Standard! If your a Microsoft fan aka X-Box 360, go for C# and Managed C++.

I dont know quite how the US higher education system works but what matters to a developer isnt your degree, its that you know your stuff and above all that you have something to show that proves it- a tech demo or art portfolio but preferably a game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There are CISCO certifed courses (though network administration is nothing to do with games).

Yeah, that was my short term plan for decent qualifications I could pick up that would open up some fairly high paying jobs so I can work myself through University easier.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Yep. Complicated stuff, though, lots of fiddly details and blame when things go wrong: and as a network engineer when things go bad, they go spectacularly wrong ... :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Besides Programming Degrees, how well do Engineering Degrees stack up to provide a basis for mathematical and physics programming? Is this a field that would transition well into game development? What about technologies such as pattern recognition, intelligent learning, and the like?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for a Computer Science with Games Devlopment Degree course at my local university. I was wondering is the above kind of qualification helpful when trying to get into the Games Industry? Also I live in England so anyone know of any Games companies here that may take me on after I get the degree or maybe as an apprentice in an apprenticeship, to get me on the first rung of the industry?

I have vivid ideas for games and love making them (Using editors). I am totally fascinated by the development of Games, so any help is really appreciated on this matter, I need to get into the industry its what I was born for. ;)

One thing that I get the impression you have to look out for based on available programs here in sweden.

Look out so you don't apply for a program called "game programming", that is 99% design and 1% programming introduction and 0% maths, if you want to be a programmer. Not that designers aren't needed its just that alot of the programs here with the word game in the description aren't what they seem to be.