Question between two games

Plus, can I direct download Space Rangers 2?

Freelancer single player didn't have much by way of replay for me, but I have enjoyed multiplayer. To be honest, however, I lan Dungeon Siege 2. Even multiplayer, Freelancer just doesn't do it for me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Plus, can I direct download Space Rangers 2?

Freelancer single player didn't have much by way of replay for me, but I have enjoyed multiplayer.  To be honest, however, I lan Dungeon Siege 2.  Even multiplayer, Freelancer just doesn't do it for me.

You don't get the original Space Rangers if you Direct Download right? Like you would if you bought the game in the store. Has anyone who bought it have any problem with starfoce so far?

No, you don't. The question is, why would you want to play SR1 if you have 2?

http:/www.direct2drive.com has the digital version for 30 bucks. US and Canada only. No Starforce in this version.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

No, you don't. The question is, why would you want to play SR1 if you have 2?

http:/www.direct2drive.com has the digital version for 30 bucks. US and Canada only. No Starforce in this version.

I just wonder about the Direct Download because you can only use their patches and do they come out with them quick? Also, is the game deep enough to have a physical manual in front of you instead of a pdf file that you can only download once?

Hey! Try the demo.

Yes, they both have demos!

This is, of course, excluding the possibility that you're some kind of modem loser, but if not then seriously, just try the demos.

Hadescopy.jpg

Replay value? Not that I've actually replayed either, but I'd have to go with Freelancer. The comparison is wildly unfair though, since Space Rangers takes much longer to complete the first time (at least it did for me). Although by the time I did finish it, it felt like I had gotten the most of what the game had to offer out of it, so I don't think I'll be playing it again anytime soon (and I felt the game became a bit repetetive at the end).

Which is the better game overall is hard to say though. I really liked Freelancer in the beginning, but the second half it became a linear mess and thus lost part of what made it good. Space Rangers stuck to it's guns all the way through and the game deserves credit for that.

In the end I'd probably recommend Freelancer, but it's tight and depends a little on what you want to get out of the game. You should also take a look at Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, that was a really good game.

It's not a 'RTS' in the conventional way. The devs call it a 'Tactical Fleet Simulator'. You focus completely on your fleet, there's no resource gathering or anything. It's a slow-placed game where you only control a few ships at most (10 max, or something), but designed in such a way that even just one ship is plenty to have fun. Battles don't end in just a few seconds of twitch-clicking. In fact, twitch won't really help you here, given the pace of the game. Depending on which weapons you carry, you can try to take out shields, or bypass them and attack the hull, or specific parts of the ship. Basically, depending on what your detection capabilities are (you get pretty good customization options for your ships), you can highlight individual parts of the enemy. Shield generators, individual weapons, radar, etc. Here's the thing, you can give a specific target (could be different ships, too) for each specific weapon you have. You'll also have to manage your energy to power your weapons, shield, engine, etc, so using all your weapons all the time might not always be efficient.

Lots of fun. There's a demo around, but it's not very user-friendly. I found the readme for that did its job well enough, though. The way the full game introduces you to the game is very well-done, it's a shame they didn't release that part as a demo.

Hadescopy.jpg

So you can, for example, target all your lasers on a battleship to take out it's engines, while targeting your mass drivers at a destroyer whose sheilds have gone down to damage its hull.

Hadescopy.jpg

Well, I've pre-ordered Space Rangers 2 (complete with the original Space Rangers on the DVD: is this any good?).

Also I'll probably pick up Freelancer.

And, I've got Episode 1 preloaded and ready to play ... just downloading the demo to Nexus now ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I only payed ANY attention to this game because I recognised the art style as being the same as 'Imperium Galactica 3', which was exactly the same game, by exactly the same people, but the company that had 'outsourced' the IG name decided they didn't like the game and forced them to change it, at which point they ran out of money.

The game then pops up 2-3 years later in pretty much the same shape as 'Nexus'.

Hadescopy.jpg