BREAKING NEWS: BETHESDA TELLS ESRB TO STICK IT!

Seriously, Bethesda gave the ESRB all the necessary material to rate the game and held nothing back in terms of what is in the game without mods. ESRB dropped the ball on this and they need to be held accountable.

Actually, from that article, all I got from it was Bethesda stating: "Yes, Mr. ESRB, you the boss... We will kiss your butt and do as youd emand."

R00fles! :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What sayest you about all this Josh?

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

The problem with this situiation is the court of public opinion is already very much against the gaming industry. GTA messed up big by creating a gray area between modders and extra content. I mean, they really screwed the entire industry here. Now it's going to require a very strong movement to educate people on what modding is. It sounds like Bethesda isn't going to fight it, but they aren't just lying down either.

I think the golden sales period is over anyway.

Wonder if this would open the litigation floodgates from parents who bought the game for 15 year old children ?

We are after all talking about a society which will sue if they spill hot coffee in their laps.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The fact that the ESRB did not rate the game M based on violence surprises me, to be honest. I have no doubt that Bethesda showed them the game and tried to be honest with their answers, so the violence angle is most certainly the fault of the ESRB, not Bethesda.

However, I think it's pretty careless for Bethesda to have let those base skin textures stay in. The argument may go, "But a person can't normally see those without a third party hack." Great, then don't make the textures anatomically correct to begin with. I don't understand how someone can know what happened with GTA:SA and think that the "can't be revealed without a third party hack" argument flies. Clearly it doesn't -- whether you agree with it or not -- so don't do it. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Certainly doesn't sound like Bethesda is sticking it to the ESRB. Unless "sticking it to the ESRB" is complying with their requests.

I agree with Josh...after the hot coffee fiasco Bethesda should have been more careful.

The fact that the ESRB did not rate the game M based on violence surprises me, to be honest. I have no doubt that Bethesda showed them the game and tried to be honest with their answers, so the violence angle is most certainly the fault of the ESRB, not Bethesda.

However, I think it's pretty careless for Bethesda to have let those base skin textures stay in. The argument may go, "But a person can't normally see those without a third party hack." Great, then don't make the textures anatomically correct to begin with. I don't understand how someone can know what happened with GTA:SA and think that the "can't be revealed without a third party hack" argument flies. Clearly it doesn't -- whether you agree with it or not -- so don't do it. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

*sigh*

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Violence is ok but sex isn't?  :ermm:

Welcome to the U.S. of A! >_<

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Violence is ok but sex is a major taboo.. so how about we comrpomise and let you *** people to death :ermm:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Taking a life is not ok.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast