The MMORPG "bandwagon" effect...

How many times have you heard someone who plays an MMORPG complain about it to no end? I know I have, that someone being me. I used to play Final Fantasy XI, see, and that is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. Thirty minute ship rides with randomly spawning monsters on board that could kill you in one shot, hours looking for groups that usually fall apart, fighting the same stupid crabs ad nauseam for sixty levels in horridly dangerous areas where chains of monsters could rape you in less than sixty seconds, insanely inflated prices... ugh.

But I kept playing until level 50 because of my linkshell. I suppose I have only myself to blame because of the fact that I introduced some of my real life friends into that linkshell, thus when I wanted to quit, I really couldn't because my friends who were still hooked into the hopeless treadmill didn't want to leave, and I would feel like I was abandoning them. The thing about MMORPGs is they have an insidious way of addicting you through conditioning: they give you little, meaningless, virtual rewards that feed your ego and make you feel you didn't waste that 15.99 that month because you managed to get the <insert l00t here>. Meanwhile, they keep getting your money, and the more money you spend on the game, the less you want to quit because you'll feel like you've thrown it all away. It's very much like scientology.

The problem is, once the game DOES break you from this habit, players tend to stay for the "social aspect" AKA they can't abandon their friends without feeling like a jerk. On one hand, MMORPGs with friends can be extremely fun on the friendship alone, on the other hand, is it worth the frustration? What would you do? What are your opinions on this subject?

The reason why I'm asking this is because the newest expansion for FF11 has just come out, and my sadomasochistic friends want to play again, and that means that they want ME to play again. Even though I loathe this game with an unbridled passion. Even now I can hear the addiction rationalizing with me, "Hey, they improved so many things with the patches, and since now everyone is playing WoW the economy would probably not be that messed up... c'mon... give it a try..." Then I realize just how unhealthy it is to be hearing voices in my head.

Anyways... anyone have any experiences similar to mine? I don't want to let down my friends, but I also really don't want to waste another damn dollar on this game. What would you do in my shoes?

Yes I know exactly what you mean. It describes my last year of EQ pretty much.

In the end it's your choice. I've gone through a lot of MMPORG friends over the years. In the end I decided that real world is more important than a virtual life and if they can't understand that then I'm better off making a clean break.

MMPORGs are like the Matrix. You have to find your own way out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If it isn't fun, don't play. If your friends insist that you play even though you don't want to, you might need to reconsider the nature of the relationship.

It can be rough, but the primary reason one should play a game is for entertainment; obligation should not even be a factor.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. It describes my last year of EQ pretty much.

In the end it's your choice. I've gone through a lot of MMPORG friends over the years. In the end I decided that real world is more important than a virtual life and if they can't understand that then I'm better off making a clean break.

MMPORGs are like the Matrix. You have to find your own way out.

Oh see the thing is for the next few months I'll find myself with an obscene amount of free time and little to no responsibility. I would never dream of starting up an MMORPG again had it been a few months ago... In fact, that's why my RL friends are starting up FFXI again as well. So in terms of the "real life", that's not an issue. Not until around August at least.

I want to get them to play guild wars instead but they're being stubborn. It's infuriating.

If it isn't fun, don't play. If your friends insist that you play even though you don't want to, you might need to reconsider the nature of the relationship.

It can be rough, but the primary reason one should play a game is for entertainment; obligation should not even be a factor.

Well, my friends aren't *insisting* that I play it, but they have been bugging me about it. I don't think our friendship is in jeopardy here (THAT would be a ridiculous reason for losing a friend: refusing to play the same MMORPG as them. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a nerd, but I'm not THAT much of a loser). And I guess it *could* be fun playing with them... I just wish it was a different game!

EDIT: One that doesn't have a black hole money vortex aka "monthly fee".

Edited by Ginthaeriel

I have yet to cancel my WoW account as my boyfriend plays, and so do some friends. When I mention cancelling my account, he makes sad faces, although really - I have only logged in once in the last month, and he is part of a regular raiding group that I'm not in, so he doesn't need me to play.

Till WoW, MMOGs had only had had a six month or less lifespan for me - although SWG was only six months because of the boyfriend, again. Then - WoW has only lasted this long because I've been playing on and off and had more people bugging me to play.

Without people I know playing, MMOGs have no pull whatsoever beyond character creation and the first few hours exploring the world/working out what's what. Other than the guilt factor, nothing keeps me playing. Not that WoW wasn't fun at any point - it was...

I've come to the conclusion that, I should steer clear of MMOGs, I just don't get much out of them, and in reality I'm a single player gamer that enjoys the odd multi-player session with friends.

That said, I'm certain I will be convinced to play Warhammer Online when it comes out. Such is my life.

As far as FFXI goes - I tried it out, none of my friends were playing - I lasted all of a week before getting sick of it.

I don't personally get into the whole equipment/PVP rank addiction - thankfully. I spend most of my time going "O RLY HOW NICE" when The Boy tells me what phat loot he obtained from the last Molten Core expedition.

Anyway - if you don't want to play - don't play. I wouldn't put too much thought into it - that's where the trouble lies :devil:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

I'll go bonker over Warhammer Online. I just know it. :ph34r:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Although some people seem to thrive on the grinding, I definitely will only stick to a MMO if I have a decent group to socialize with. I don't consider it a chore to hang out with friends in an elaborate virtual world. It's not much different than these forums.

I tend to stay away from MMOs these days..

Mainly because I get very attached to people,

I dont like saying bye and knowing ill never talk to them again

makes me very sad.

I played Phantasy Star Online for years..

I only managed to break away from it because the DreamCast

servers went down.. Then I was really sad about all the friends I made

and how Id never play with them again.

Brb I need Ice Cream...

Edited by sega-soldier

"I wouldn't know about the BEST MMORPG because I refuse to pass that kind of judgment on something I've never played...

But I can, without a doubt, state which is the WORST MMORPG. Yes, worse than Star Wars Galaxies. In fact, this game is probably the worst game in the entire history of the world. It's worse than State of Emergency. It's worse than Deer Hunter 10.

FINAL FANTASY XI

Final Fantasy XI is one of the most party-based MMORPGs in the market right now. Oh wait, scratch that, FFXI is one of the most party-INHIBITIVE MMORPGs in the market right now. For a game that forces you to work with other people in order to do *any* sort of progression, it sure does do a great job of making you want to kill said other people, curl up into a little ball and live the rest of your life as a hermit, isolated from the outside world, severed of all contact from the bad nasty wicked men.

The game pigeonholes you into having at least one member of one single class, multiplied by four. You can predict at least half of the composition of 90% of all parties currently active in the game. WHM/BLM/RDM/PLD. This means that all of the other classes will probably spend a large majority (hours) of their game time doing nothing but sitting in town sending tells looking for groups. Hell, even the characters who are in the

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Lyr, did you take that from somewhere? Quite a rant, and I have to agree. I played FFXI for a couple months. While I loved the graphics, gameworld, and playerbase, I really hated the mechanics. I remember really wanting to scream when I lost the same level over and over again.

Has anyone else noticed that Sega-Soldier seems to write in verse? It's not good poetry, but I keep looking to see if there is a pattern to his meter. Is it a sonnet?

I play City of Heroes. I have played it for quite a while and continue to enjoy the experience.

What I don't like is the sort of judgemental crap foisted on us here. MMORPG are bad and therefore anyone who says he likes the game must be deficient in one way or another.

Idiotic. Now, having said that, I couldn't stomach either Guild Wars or Anarchy Online. I have not, as yet, tried the other two. Much of the time I have spent playing City of Heroes, I've been the exemplar of one person or another, and therefore did not grind for any reward whatsoever. Nope, I just played in order to share the experience with someone.

It's a bit more complicated than saying, "oh, he doesn't let me quit." Quit anyhow. If he puts a gun to your head, play until you escape and then turn the bastard in to the police.

You know, my wife and I have several interests in common, but she likes to go to the gift shop of every church, museum, girl scout guild hall, etc that we've ever visited. Yeah, every now and then, you end up doing something that you don't find particularly fun as part of being a good friend.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I play City of Heroes.  I have played it for quite a while and continue to enjoy the experience.

My wife and I have been playing the 14-day trial of CoV. I have noticed that, at least in the time that we've played, the CoX games seem to be fun, which is something that I definitely found lacking in WoW.

@ Llyranor

You basicly just describing the Powergaming and Elitist crowd.

Every MMORPG has them, people who would turn the game into a chore before even thinking about having fun for a change.

The game is solid and to this day I have yet to find a MMORPG I enjoy more. Maybe it's because I've always had a rather large Linkshell (guild) with very close friends. I was never short on party members, quest members or people who wanted to try new (and sometimes) crazy thing.

Don't treat this issue as a MMORPG issue, as it really isn't. Say that your friends took up snow boarding as a hobby. Would you join them, given that you hate snowboaring and don't want to spend the money? If not, then there's no reason for you to do it here, either.

Of course, having friends means following the bandwagon every once in a while. It's part of the doing-things-together aspect of friendship. Which of course leads to the age old adage that you should choose your friends wisely :D

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

I play City of Heroes.  I have played it for quite a while and continue to enjoy the experience.

My wife and I have been playing the 14-day trial of CoV. I have noticed that, at least in the time that we've played, the CoX games seem to be fun, which is something that I definitely found lacking in WoW.

it only gets better as you get more powerful :p

I play on the same server as eldar (sometimes we play together but I let my acct drop and might or might not restart it for a month just to see what's new in I7) Honestly playing as a guy who can turn into a flying squid or a freaking crab is kinda fun!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, we haven't teamed for a while, but if any of you happen to see Eldara in Paragon city on the Pinnacle server or Eldara's evil sister or Lord Obsidious in Rogue Isles, let me know and we can team.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm kinda in the same boat. In fact, family and friends of mine who enjoy EQ2 bugged me to buy the game, and I did.

It's not a bad game. When it groups it can be found, and I love seeing the different areas, and monsters. Combat can be challenging too. But, if it wasn't for everyone, I doubt I'd be willing to spend nearly $20 a month to continue playing.

Fun? Yes. Fun enough? Dunno about that.

Of course, as per usual, dwarves make it worthwhile.

GO DWARVES GO!!! :p:luck::luck:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've been playing EQ2 lately as well. It actually has a ton of depth. The item variety is outrageous, the different skills you get when levelling are awesome, and the quests are limitless. So far my biggest struggle has been finding decent folk to play with though. It's not a very easy game to solo, particularly if you only like doing quests. I haven't really made up my mind about paying for another month.

"I've been playing EQ2 lately as well. It actually has a ton of depth. The item variety is outrageous, the different skills you get when levelling are awesome,"

True.

" and the quests are limitless."

Yeha, theya re. Problem is therely most a list of kill x number of a certain type enmies. Some aren't but those are the rarities.

"So far my biggest struggle has been finding decent folk to play with though. It's not a very easy game to solo, particularly if you only like doing quests."

Cool. If you want, do a player search for Volourn. He's a Level 23 Paladin. I also ahvae a level 8 character; but her name is hard to remmeber as I haven't played it much.

"I haven't really made up my mind about paying for another month."

:devil:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.