New ransomware threat appears

metadigital

New ransomware threat appears

A new type of ransomware is making the rounds. According to security firm Sophos, the Trojan - dubbed Troj/Ransom-A - threatens to delete one file from an infected computer every 30 minutes until the $10.99 ransom is paid via the Western Union money transfer service.

The malware activates itself and warns that it has hidden itself away and is undetectable unless a CIDN number is entered in the computer. Once entered, the Trojan promises to remove itself. If the malware refuses to go peacefully, the hacker helpfully gives a Yahoo! email address for anyone wanting technical support on how to remove the files.

The program also disables the Ctrl-Alt-Del key combination to prevent anyone trying to close the Trojan before it deletes files.

So-called ransomware is becoming a worrying trend in the development of viruses and other threats. For some time business have been subject to blackmail threats from criminal gangs threatening denial of service attacks against larger web sites. Now it seems that hackers are targeting individual users.

In March this year, Sophos warned of the Zippo Trojan that encrypted a victim's files which could not be unlocked unless a ransom of $300 was paid.

'This Trojan horse is designed to take your data hostage, and tries to scare users into paying up quickly by threatening to wipe files one-by-one,' commented Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. 'Our concern is that this may be the beginning of a growing trend of malware designed to extort money from innocent users.'

Steve Malone

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ya know...it may just be me, but whenever I see a new thing like this, where people create viruses, malware, or whatever, and unleash it on people who're just using their damned computers...I get a strong urge to take the people responsible out on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic, start dumping chum in the water, and when a minimum of 5 large sharks show up, jab them with a sharpened USB plug-in, and give them a little shove over the side.

:thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I have to agree with LoneWolf16.

No, really, I have to. He has a gun.

Oh... how I laughed...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

He's not kidding. I know where you all live. :thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Can you come around, then? I need a lift next week ...

My car can't traverse oceans...otherwise, sure, not like I'm doing anything. :thumbsup:

- Everlast

The honest upright citizen in me thinks this is terrible.

The hooligan in me who's always out to make a quick buck can't help but saying to himself "Man, that's awesome!"

They can have my files. Seriously. Anyone who doesn't keep backups of their important things is at fault anyway.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I do't know how to back-up my stuff.

Also, I'm going to have to not agree with Lonewolf, as violence doesn't solve anything. I would like to take him out into the middle of the desert for an interesting and exciting chess mach.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Definitely.

I'm wondering how many people actually pay up and my mind's running rampant with quadruple digit figures extorted in seconds.

Probably a lot easier to get caught with Ransomware than other types of nasties though.

Meh.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

It's really funny when you pretend to know about a certain topic, and by funny, I mean not funny.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Actually I do see your point about there being a purpose. Wrecking stuff for money or ransom does make more sense than the human excrement who wreck things just for wrecking it. One step up from chimps if you ask me. But I still don't approve.

I also fail to see how my 'not backing things up' should mean I ought to have my stuff vandalised. The responsibility is on the perp not on me. This isn't opportunistic housebreaking or car theft. This is pre-meditated.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Nonono, the ocean and shark thingie is way too soft a punishment. No these dudes needs to get a life sentence of male gang raping in the shower room at the worst of the worst US prison facilities. (and if they're not from the US, I'm sure we can find room over there anyway!) :angry:

How'd that sound?

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Actually I do see your point about there being a purpose. Wrecking stuff for money or ransom does make more sense than the human excrement who wreck things just for wrecking it. One step up from chimps if you ask me. But I still don't approve.

The organised criminals who target online assets (websites, etc) of rich corporates use the threat (and a small demonstration, usually, of a smurf DDoS attack) to extort them (typically tens of thousands of dollars at a time).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds like you lack perspective. :shifty:

What does that mean? That my vision is limited?

Oh and thanks for the condescending smiley, it's my favorite. :rolleyes:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Nonono, the ocean and shark thingie is way too soft a punishment. No these dudes needs to get a life sentence of male gang raping in the shower room at the worst of the worst US prison facilities. (and if they're not from the US, I'm sure we can find room over there anyway!) :angry:

How'd that sound?

That even upset me, the shark-boy. :p

- Everlast

How'd that sound?

That even upset me, the shark-boy. :p

Flawless victory!

DENMARK!

How does one catch this?

Um...

Did you get tested after we, you know, cybered? Because, well...

I'VE GOT IT OK!

There, I said it.