Shadowrun at E3?

Gamasutra Article

The long-rumored video game return of the Shadowrun RPG franchise has been all but confirmed today, according to an opening splash page on Microsoft-owned developer FASA Studio's official web site.

The teaser image, shown here, appears on the front page of the company's web site, fasastudio.com. Four distinct characters are shown, all of them highly reminiscent of the RPG series' characters, along with the tagline, "The rules of combat are about to change." Additionally, the domain name shadowrun.com forwards itself to FASA's main website, which seems to indicate that these factors are more than coincidence.

Shadowrun's return to the video game world was unofficially confirmed July of last year, when FASA Studio animator Theron Benson commented to consumer web site RPG Vault that a Shadowrun project was in development for the Xbox 360, describing it as "a first-person shooter based on an old paper RPG of the same name from a couple decades ago."

If true, this project will mark the first American Shadowrun video game in over twelve years, following games for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Genesis, which were developed by Beam Software and BlueSky Software, respectively.

Shadowrun is a traditional "pen and paper" RPG, initially developed by FASA Corporation between 1989 and 2001, when the company closed its doors and transitioned its intellectual property rights. FASA Studio, developer of the MechAssault, Crimsons Skies and, apparently, Shadowrun video game franchises, is the result of a reorganization of the original FASA Interactive division, which was sold to Microsoft in 1998.

The current intellectual property rights to the ShadowRun franchise currently belong to FASA co-founder Jordan Weisman's WizKids Inc., who continue to publish Shadowrun traditional role playing games through Chicago-based FanPro LLC.

splash.jpg

It's supposed to be a Deus-Ex-like game. I think it's been in development for nearly as long as Duke Nukem Forever, it has changed genre/developer/engine many times. I dont really know what to expect in term of quality exept UE3 graphics.

I've heard that too. On various game fora, so take this with a grain of salt.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm guessing it's going to be very reminiscent of Project Snowblind.

Changes that it's more like Deus Ex are kind of non-existant. If the recent trends are any inclination.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Although I'll probably buy it, I'm definitely disappointed they didn't go the RPG route. I read in a magazine that it still has a release date set late this year. I assume we'll find out if that is true during E3.

Just because it's rumored to be a FPS doesn't mean it can't be an RPG. It could be like Bloodlines. Hell, I like the Shadowrun setting enough that even a standard FPS might not be bad, though not near as good as a real RPG. As long as it's not a simple, crappy Diablo/Gauntlet clone ala Fallout: BOS.

What pisses me off is the mention of only Xbox 360. There's absolutely no way in hell I'll ever buy a 360 after I essentially wasted money on an Xbox. Microsoft needs to get their head out of their ass and realize they've got a significant interest in encouraging people to buy PC games as much as they do Xbox ones.

If they just remade the same game as on the SNES but with updated features I'd be extremely happy.

Same here, that game was excellent.

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_image.asp/508/22

It seems like it's not just an Xbox 360 exclusive....but who knows, maybe it runs on Vista only.  <_<

Ah, interesting.

Excellent?

No.

Good?

yes.

If you want an excellent Shadowrun game... play the one for Sega

Oops, missed this earlier. Well the last time I played the SNES one must have been around 14 years ago? And it was excellent back then to me. :(

The site for the upcoming Shadowrun game has openened, featuring information about the game, and even forums. And it's really just another case of "I told you so":

Q: What is Shadowrun?

A: Shadowrun™ is a team-based FPS for both Xbox 360™ and Windows Vista™, set in a world where ancient magic blends with modern weapons and advanced technology to form a revolution in multiplayer FPS gaming. Purchase new weapons and abilities each round in an extraordinary arms race to increase your options and open up new tactics for your team.  Gather your team from four different magical races, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.  And fight for control of a magical artifact that can shape the course of the world.

Ha ha. Any and all optimism people had about it resembling Deus Ex in gameplay has just commited ritual disembowelment.