Which is better?

I've never even heard of that second card... :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

RAM is king, it'll make ALL the difference.

Erm yeah, so the ATI

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Well, according to this site, http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stab...rk-results.html , the 6100 is a bit better than a Geforce 4 MX. :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

And here's a review of the x700 pro... http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/vide...3211_3411451__2 .

- Everlast

The only advantage the 6100 holds over the X700 is the fact that it supports Shader Model 3.0 (as all Nvidia cards of generation 6 or above does). That doesn't matter much though, since its performance is much worse than the X700. You'll get "better" graphics from the X700 even though it only supports Shader Model 2.0. Better as in higher framerates, higher resolutions and such.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Is this personal bias or is there a bench mark data that hows that this is the case?

Onboard video is usually a bit of a pain in the ass to disable once you have to upgrade to a new card. Rarely are they worth a damn even new anywyay; the chips are primarily for noob computer users who only want basic multimedia features. If that's all you're expecting out of the machine, it should be fine. I'm unfamiliar with that particular chipset though. Maybe try Googling it?

Edit: Looks like Mkreku knows what he's talking about.

Edited by StillLife

Listen to the Swede.

- Everlast

Basically, Hades, everything I'm seeing on Google indicates that the X700 PRO is the best choice here. The 6100 is way, way below the x700 in terms of performance...hell, the 6100 keeps getting compared and set up in VS. tests with completely crappy factory made integrated cards...and barely winning.

- Everlast

Nvidia 6100 benchmarks, or ATI x700 Pro benchmarks.

- Everlast

Basically if you order up all the graphics cards there are, every time there's a cosmic leap in performance it's based solely on having more memory.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Nvidia 6100 benchmarks, or ATI x700 Pro benchmarks.

Both if you please.

Also what "Optimized" drivers are best or would it be better that I stick with the baseline drivers from ATI?

Those were the key words I was using. :thumbsup:

- Everlast

Basically if you order up all the graphics cards there are, every time there's a cosmic leap in performance it's based solely on having more memory.

There are different kinds of memory modules though. GDDR3 is MUCH faster than DDR or even GDDR2. A GPU with 512 MB GDDR2 is actually slower than the same GPU with 128 MB GDDR3. Also, unless you're going to use very high resolutions, you don't really need more than 256 MB anyhow (some say 128 MB).

Having a lot of memory for your CPU often has more of an impact than having lots of memory for your GPU. Type of memory matters more.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!