The Chosen One Chooses NWN2

Volourn

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5397

It seems the PC is the Chosen One in NWN2 OC. Not bad set up; but dissapointingly a Chosen One. Still, as long as the role-playing, and characters we interact with are full of quality (which I'm sure they will be), and the combat is challenging and well done, the OC should still be good fun. :ninja:

The rest of the 'interview' goes over stuff already know - lots of races, control the robot like npcs, and improved graphics (duh!).

:shifty::p

P.S. Nothing about length in this one.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

the definition of Chosen One is getting a little strained. you ain't a child o' prophecy and we ain't sure if you got special powers and you ain't being called 'pon to save the world/galaxy from some kinda unstoppable dark force.

you is some poor slob that is worth more to some people dead than alive... is not Chosen One.

say that your character witnessed some crime at start of game, and now some folks is after your arse... want you dead, whether you plan on testifying or not. would that scenario make you the Chosen One? you spend game trying to either find some way to appease the bad guys or makes yourself too valuable to kill or some such other option. sound much different than nwn2?

just 'cause the clowns at codex yells Chosen One with scorn not mean you gotta parrot their stoopidity.

btw, we ain't saying we likes the nwn2 story hook, but is not really Chosen One from what we got.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Seems Chosen One like to me. You, of all people, have a piece of their sword in you. They have happened to gather *ever* piece of sword but the one in you. The whole game is about them trying to track you down. It's all about you. Sure sounds Chosen One like to me. Close enough for governemnt work - super powers or not.

And, come on Grom, you should know by know that I have no need to follow what the Codex does. :shifty:

Edited by Volourn

I agree with Gromnir. Getting a piece of an artifact lodged into you accidently doesn't sound very prophetic. Not to mention the fact that you seem to be on a quest to save your ass. Granted; K2 had the exact same quest at the start yet ti branched off and eventually became a "save-the-world"-quest, from what I can tell. This doesn't have to happen to NWN, however.

On the topic of the article, well I didn't get anything new out of it. At least, anything I couldn't have guessed myself(ton of class combinations, gainable special classes, effects of alignment). Yet, it was an interesting read, too bad about the horrible site design. Thanks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Seems Chosen One like to me. You, of all people, have a piece of their sword in you. They have happened to gather *ever* piece of sword but the one in you. The whole game is about them trying to track you down. It's all about you. Sure sounds Chosen One like to me. Close enough for governemnt work - super powers or not.

And, come on Grom, you should know by know that I have no need to follow what the Codex does. :shifty:

then you should know better than to follow their lead.

you ain't destined to save nobody.

you ain't got no special power.

you ain't no child of prophecy.

you is some poor dumb bastard who were at the wrong place at the wrong time and now people wanna kill you. if you die, does world collapse? sure don't sound that way.

again, is no different than the witness scenario we gave above, and nobody would call that a Chosen One story.

am not saying that nwn2 cannot be turned into Chosen One with elements noted, but it ain't based on what is in that preview.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not too surprising. As much as I find "the chosen one" cliche, it seems just as weird to consider a game that doesn't really focus on the PC either.

Though, my idea of "chosen one" is probably more general than most people's.

Since we have to face the Shadow King(or whatever) eventually, this could very well turn into working with some sun god and saving the continent from mass-undeadification-thing. But that's not really an issue.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

heeeeeere cooooooomes the suuuuuuunnnnn kiiiiiiiiing

- sorry, I couldn't resist.

Edit: Okay, okay, on topic.

Doesn't sound very Chosen One-esque to me, but I'm sure as you become more powerful you get further embroiled in major events.

I don't see the big deal. I mean, nobody wants to play an RPG as a nobody. Here's your quest: go to the store for milk. Rewarded with 30 XP, and some lawful points if you don't steal it.

Mus?: It's a Beatles reference. Back half of Abbey Road.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Dear Drabek

Would you be so kind as to educate me on that reference's origins?

Thank you,

a concerned reader.

Edit: "Mus?: It's a Beatles reference. Back half of Abbey Road."

:) And I didn't get it.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Unless you turn out to be in that position for some reason. Then your just some poor guy in the wrong place.

It may turn out that way. Like in HoTU where you end up the chosen one by default.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Soem of that artwork is new isn't it?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Nah.

kirottu said:

I don't see the big deal. I mean, nobody wants to play an RPG as a nobody.

Yet...

Here's your quest: go to the store for milk. Rewarded with 30 XP, and some lawful points if you don't steal it.

That's the basic framework of quest creation in most RPGs. If people don't want to play as a nobody, then why do they lap up these quests anyway which reduce their characters to nobodies or errand boys all the same?

They have no choice. Generally, the errand-boy/girl quests have to be done so some authoritarian figure will trust you/agree to help you on your greater path.

My "Quest for Milk" scenario isn't a means to an end, unless the main quest is to continue your existence by consuming nutrients.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I agree with Gromnir. Getting a piece of an artifact lodged into you accidently doesn't sound very prophetic. Not to mention the fact that you seem to be on a quest to save your ass. Granted; K2 had the exact same quest at the start yet ti branched off and eventually became a "save-the-world"-quest, from what I can tell. This doesn't have to happen to NWN, however.

But in K2 you were definately a bit odd. It wasnt just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You were the last known Jedi and you had those unique powers.

It's quite possible to be a chosen one and not know it. Like in Bards Tale, or HotU.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Like Gromnir said, this isn't a Chosen One story. The "Chosen One" is a storytelling technique in which the protagonist is important by his very nature, either by deign of prophecy, ancestry, or power. Fantasy stories where the protagonist is the Chosen One include Feist's Magician and sequels, Goodkind's Sword of Truth, Brooks' Shanara, and Jordan's Wheel of Time.

However, the case with NWN2 appears to be just what Gromnir said, that the protagonist is simply some poor schmuck who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The protagonist's importance is incidental; what is really important is the item, and the item would be important whether or not the protagonist was involved. Stories in this vein include, of course, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

A good test to determine if a story is of the "Chosen One" vein is if one could insert any other random person into the plot and have the story continue unaltered.

Edited by deganawida

Deg, I call Chosen One stories basically a story where the PC (main character) is the focus or the druving force of the story through no action of them. ie. Getting a sword stuck in your body when you were a baby reeks of Chosen One. It doesn't have to involve some sort of prophecy at all nor does the PC have to be blessed with some sort of super power.

Deg, I call Chosen One stories basically a story where the PC (main character) is the focus or the druving force of the story through no action of them. ie. Getting a sword stuck in your body when you were a baby reeks of Chosen One. It doesn't have to involve some sort of prophecy at all nor does the PC have to be blessed with some sort of super power.

Okay, now I'm confused. Every game where the PC is the protagonist is "Chosen One"? If you make the PC not the protagonist, though, then what is the player supposed to do? The protagonist always defines the action; that's the definition of "protagonist" (and one of the reasons why I didn't like BG2's story much, as Irenicus was the protagonist of that game).

It's more like Suikoden where some poor sod gets stuck with a great rune and then everyone chases after them because of it.

To be a chosen one only you can complete whatever the task is. However if the PC were to die anyone could take the shard and continue to guard it.

478327[/snapback]