Praise of enhanced films!

I recently purchased the original trilogy remake collection made in 2004. Aside from the same enhancements as the mid 90's re-release, and as many may know they added a few extra shots at the end of return of the Jedi and switched Sebastian Shaw as the force Vader with Hayden Christensen.

And it was so much better than the original, the shots of Coruscant, Naboo and the other planets really enhanced the ending.

All you "old school" nerds who disaprove of this should be ashamed.

On a side note, having watched the six movies in a short time frame, they seem to fit together quite nicely with exception of two small things. One being Obi-wan did age quite a bit for just being 57 and Yoda's massive senility. Other than that, great.

Comments? Tid bits of fact here or there?

wookiedance.gif

Coruscant at the end of RotJ was actually added to the theatrical remake from 1996. But Naboo and Hayden Christensen (along with Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine in ESB and replacement of Jeremy Bullock's original voice for Boba Fett) were not added until the DVD release (from 2004), as you correctly point out.

I agree that they messed up a bit regarding Obi-Wan's age. They should either have made him a little older in the prequels, or else they should have let the prequels begin further back in time. Anakin sure looking more than his early forties to me when Sebastian Shaw played him at the end of RotJ.

Though I am definitely "old school" (and saw the original movie in the cinema), I generally don't mind the changes that have been made and feel that many of them enhance the movies more than anything. Lots of people hate the Solo and Jabba scene in ANH, but I've actually been waiting to see it since I saw the scene recreated in the original comic book version of ANH when the movie came out (though Jabba looked *quite* different back then...)

There is one particular change that I find to be unforgivable, though! It's the changed Greedo scene, where Greedo now suddenly shoots before Han does. Taking aside the ludicrous notion of just how Greedo was able to miss at point-blank range, the change is inexcusable because it changes Han Solo's character. The whole scene was defining for Solo, depicting him as a hardened scoundrel who wouldn't refrain from cold-blooded acts when it was necessary for his survival. That's the definition of Han Solo. Whatever Lucas decides to change him into later, that's where he began. That's where he had to begin. But with this change, Han is reduced in his conviction and resolve, because he is now far more guided by his ethics and moral compass, even if it's going to get him killed. And the whole point was to demonstrate, that Han Solo wouldn't shy back from hard choices due to moral scrouples if the need arose. How else would he survive in the harsh world of a smuggler? There is no answer to that now... :angry:

I should be ashamed? Oh, God forbid we stick to original versions. (especially ones that make more sense) When you've been a Star Wars fan as long as I have, there is no shame is complaining about unneccesary changes to a classic film. So don't you tell me EVER that I should be ashamed of myself because I want things preserved the way they are. <_<

Edited by Wild Storm

I recently purchased the original trilogy remake collection made in 2004.  Aside from the same enhancements as the mid 90's re-release, and as many may know they added a few extra shots at the end of return of the Jedi and switched Sebastian Shaw as the force Vader with Hayden Christensen.

That is one one major issue I have with the enhanced films is that part. That was ignorant for them to do that. Why not cut out Alec Guinness and put in his younger self as well? No they should have stuck with the older version there.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I should be ashamed? Oh, God forbid we stick to original versions. (especially ones that make more sense) When you've been a Star Wars fan as long as I have, there is no shame is complaining about unneccesary changes to a classic film. So don't you tell me EVER that I should be ashamed of myself because I want things preserved the way they are.  <_<

Un-bunch your tighty whities, don't call your mom to yell at me, stop flipping out and take your ritalin. If you took it personally, thats your problem, dont get a hemorrhoid.

Those who complain that good editing decisions and added scenes ruined the original films are the ones who should be ashamed.

I would rather praise the enhancements. If you don't like the re-releases dont buy them, but don't get all ticked off at me for voicing my opinion about people who spaz out for petty reasons, which you helped to make a valid point for me.

wookiedance.gif

Those who complain that good editing decisions and added scenes ruined the original films are the ones who should be ashamed.

Good? You call butchering a movie good?! It makes absolutely no sense that Hayden replacing Sebastian. None! Like was said before, if they changed Sebastian, why not change Alec or Yoda?

I would rather praise the enhancements. If you don't like the re-releases dont buy them, but don't get all ticked off at me for voicing my opinion about people who spaz out for petty reasons, which you helped to make a valid point for me.

By telling me I should be ashamed and claiming that I need to take ADD medication is not an opinion. It's called being an ass. If anyone should be ashmed, it should be you for supporting butchering classic films and being a complete ass to people with different opinions to you.

Edited by Wild Storm

I haven't seen the remakes but i do think it wasnt necessary.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I should be ashamed? Oh, God forbid we stick to original versions. (especially ones that make more sense) When you've been a Star Wars fan as long as I have, there is no shame is complaining about unneccesary changes to a classic film. So don't you tell me EVER that I should be ashamed of myself because I want things preserved the way they are.  <_<

Un-bunch your tighty whities, don't call your mom to yell at me, stop flipping out and take your ritalin. If you took it personally, thats your problem, dont get a hemorrhoid.

Oh, come on. How can you tell people they should be ashamed and then expect them not to be insulted?

If you disagree with them, then fine. That's fair enough. But then state your position and explain your reasons for it. Your opinion is no better than mine or Wild Storm's, or anyone else's. If you make a potentially inflamatory comment, then you can expect nothing else.

Opinions welcome. Trolling, no thank you - we're all stocked up here... :wub:

I would rather praise the enhancements.  If you don't like the re-releases dont buy them, but don't get all ticked off at me for voicing my opinion about people who spaz out for petty reasons, which you helped to make a valid point for me.

Nobody is getting ticked off because you voiced your opinion. It was the suggestion that he should be ashamed that did that.

And no, I don't agree with you that all the changes were for the best. There are some really annoying additions in ANH with lots of stupid robots and so just as Luke and Ben enter Mos Eisley. Did they hurt the film? No. Did they enhance the experience? No. They just made it longer, which isn't an achievement in itself.

And see my previous post for why the Greedo change was inexcusable.

Oh, and on the subject of Greedo, check this site :)

Edited by Jediphile

Good? You call butchering a movie good?! It makes absolutely no sense that Hayden replacing Sebastian. None! Like was said before, if they changed Sebastian, why not change Alec or Yoda?

There actually can be a good reason for that, even though I would sort of have preferred they kept Sebastian Shaw.

In short, Anakin returned to who he was before he fell to the dark side. And his most recent LS self was indeed that played by Hayden Christensen, since he was consistently Vader and not Anakin from that point on and until Luke redeemed him when he died.

Yoda and Obi-Wan, however, never fell to the dark side, so their force-ghost selfs would be unchanged from who and what they were when they died.

I hate Hate HATE the sy snootles song in Jedi... its less than a minute but it is so bloody irritating. Other than that the changes are all good.

Oh god no, not that. That was lame.

It was just as lame, if not more so, in the original version, I fear... So to me the change was a non-factor... :wub:

In regards to Shaw being replaced there is this. To connect the films ultimately it was for the better and one of the few great changes. Not to mention when we last saw Anakin, he was his younger self. He never aged enough to look as old as Shaw.

Hell if they had kept Shaw in the scene, why not make him the old, pasty white, crusty, dying Vader? Would that make more sense for you hardcore goonies?

wookiedance.gif

In regards to Shaw being replaced there is this.  To connect the films ultimately it was for the better and one of the few great changes.  Not to mention when we last saw Anakin, he was his younger self.  He never aged enough to look as old as Shaw. 

Then who died in Luke's arms? :ninja:

Hell if they had kept Shaw in the scene, why not make him the old, pasty white, crusty, dying Vader?  Would that make more sense for you hardcore goonies?

Yes :alien:

Agreed. Actually, I like those "first" enhanced films from year 1977. They were...well, BETTER or atleast good as the good old ones. But this new DVD thing...OMG, it is crap. And that Jar Jar shouting (or other gungan) in the end: Meesa free!

Urgh.

I liked very much that 1997 version. It took out that stupid orange gloom from under landspeeder, added Coruscant to ending (that is damn cool scene), made better cloud city etc.

But any new additions in DVD:s just suck. Heck, I want original versions to DVD :blink:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Agreed. Actually, I like those "first" enhanced films from year 1977. They were...well, BETTER or atleast good as the good old ones. But this new DVD thing...OMG, it is crap. And that Jar Jar shouting (or other gungan) in the end: Meesa free!

I hate JarJar, but given that Lucas, in his infinite wisdom, decided to make him part of Star Wars canon, the addition of the Naboo scene in RotJ is somehow fitting, and it's just a few seconds anyway. I'm just glad that was all he decided to add... :blink:

I liked very much that 1997 version. It took out that stupid orange gloom from under landspeeder, added Coruscant to ending (that is damn cool scene), made better cloud city etc.

Erm, you do realise that only ANH is from 1977, right? ESB is from 1980, and RotJ from 1983... :o

But any new additions in DVD:s just suck. Heck, I want original versions to DVD :p

Oh, come on. They're not *all* bad. The X-wing attack on the Death Star in Ep. IV is definitely nicer in the revised version. I do have the original versions of the films on video, and the x-wing attacks just look old.

And although it probably sucks for Clive Revill (the original voice of Palpatine in ESB) and Jeremy Bullock (the original Boba Fett), it was relevant to have them replaced in the DVD by Ian McDiarmid and Temuera Morrison respectively, since it made for better consistency. It was also better to see a Wampa with a severed arm in ESB rather than just watch some ugly arm-like thing with white hair drop to the ground after Luke chopped it off.

No, not all the changes were for the better, I'd agree, but I'm not going to slash them just for being new and "heresy and defilement of canon"...

Hmm...I wasn't clear enough ^_^

Yeah I realize, but I mean those first whatever edition of Original movies, which were published 1997 if I remember right. You know those VCR?

Oh, come on. They're not *all* bad. The X-wing attack on the Death Star in Ep. IV is definitely nicer in the revised version. I do have the original versions of the films on video, and the x-wing attacks just look old.

That was in first edition (from 1997) of movies too :(

IMO they shouldn't do more adds than that VCR had.

edit: Those VCR thinks were...umm...special extended edition? Something like that anyway

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Hmm...I wasn't clear enough ^_^

Yeah I realize, but I mean those first whatever edition of Original movies, which were published 1997 if I remember right. You know those VCR?

I have those as well...

That was in first edition (from 1997) of movies too :(

IMO they shouldn't do more adds than that VCR had.

edit: Those VCR thinks were...umm...special extended edition? Something like that anyway

Yes. There are three versions of the films, or rather three versions of ESB and RotJ. There are only two versions of ANH, since it was unchanged from the special edition to the dvd-version.

ESB on dvd is changed from special edition only by:

1. Original Palpatine voiced by Clive Revill replaced by new shots with Ian McDiarmid instead.

2. Temuera Morrison replacing the voice of Jeremy Bullock as Boba Fett (Bullock obviously still embodies Boba, though).

RotJ on dvd was changed only by:

1. Naboo appearing very briefly during the "pan across the galaxy" bit of the victory celebrations at the end.

2. Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw as the force ghost of Anakin next to the force ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda as seen by Luke at the end.

I know there was a rumor that the dvd would also have a brief shot of Padme in it, presumably when Luke asks Leia about it, but it seems to have stayed a rumor, which might be because Lucas decided to kill Padme in RotS...

EDIT: I still wish that Lucas would have put the early "lost scenes" with Biggs back into ANH. Luke meets him just before the x-wing battle in the special edition, which makes little sense, since we don't know the character. Owners of the Star Wars: Behind the Magic interactice CD-ROM (like myself) can still see them, but it's not the same thing as having them in the movie itself...

Edited by Jediphile

Got no problems with the changes made to the original trilogy. Recently watched all six movies in a short period as well, and episodes 4 to 6 still hold the same magic for me that they ever did. Having said that I'm glad George stopped where he did. If they had put any reference to midichlorians in Yoda's speech about the Force in ESB I think I'd have to try and forget I'd ever seen the movies at all.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Maybe he should tinker with episodes 1-3 and take out the midichlorian references.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Jabba was re-done for the dvd edition of ANH.

I'm not sure that's right, but even if it is, it has no impact on the story at all, since it's all the same dialogue and scenes. Sadly I don't have my taped Special Editions with me right now so that I can compare...

Rumour has it he is looking into converting the OT into 3D for some new viewing system... it is not entirely unlikely that he would take that as an opportunity to tinker with the actual content of the films yet again.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Lucas will never be finished with Star Wars. Somehow I like that he is still passionate about his creation, even if I do disagree heavily with some of the choices he made to change stuff. The Greedo-change is particularly sore, but I don't see why the cut scenes from ANH, ESB, and RotJ couldn't at least have been included as extra material on the dvds as they were for the prequels.