I can't bring myself to like Avernum

I know that it's an indie, I really don't care about the graphics and I know that it has all sorts of great dialogue options and story lines and freeform choice and whatnot... It's supposed to be a "classic" RPG with all the elements that are sorely missing in RPGs these days.

But I've slogged through the Avernum 4 demo for like... a week... and it seems like the game is nothing but just constantly casting Icy Rain on goblins left and right. It feels like Temple of Elemental Evil, which I also could not bring myself to even scratch (I shelved it a little after I got myself into the temple... I still need to try and get myself to finish it... though it has a sophisticated implementation of 3E combat that is really smooth, is it really just more of the endless slaughter that I've seen so far? Not to mention that 3E combat in itself is quite boring ad nauseam)

Is there some sort of mindset you have to get into to enjoy these games, or are they really just hackfests?

Avernums are hackfests. ^_^

I don't know who made you think they'd be anything else, but tell him I called him stupid.

Anyways, nwo that's that settled, you really should try the previous Avernum games. Second and third are universally viewed was the best of the swries and Nethergate isn't bad either. Both games are combat-oriented and eventually you will be just shooting the heftiest spell on you arsenal fight after fight, but at least they are enjoyable. Fourth is not.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think it's lame how much they copy Jeff Vogel. But the more the merrier.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It's as much an rpg as Baldur's Gate is. In fact, it's even more so, if we go by some people's definition.

kirottu said:

Too bad for you.

kirottu said:

Indeed, I even had trouble trying to play BG II a few months back. It's not that the graphics are horrible, it's just that I can't help thinking I could be playing a better looking game. It's sad, really, because there is a lot of magic in those older games.

The exception so far has been JA2, but even that is starting to look dated. It helps that there is no real substitute for it though.

The Spiderweb games are simplynot good. They are also overrated. I've tried all the demos, and their nothing but overglorified dungeon crawl. The Codex crowd slobbers over it because it has turn based combat. It's too bad that the tb combat is of the simpliest nature as to be boring and unthinking. There is absolutely no role-playing in the demo, and I'd rather not fork over my cash for the full game(s) to be prven right or wrong about. The sad thing is that the graphics are the best aprt of the game(s).

LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

The one thing I like about Spiderweb is that the owner is a Bioware fanboy which makes the Spiderweb fanboys cry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"combat is of the simpliest nature as to be boring and unthinking"

"overglorified dungeon crawl"

"There is absolutely no role-playing"

"the owner is a Bioware fanboy"

Hmm, I wonder if these statements are related somehow.

The Spiderweb games are simplynot good. They are also overrated. I've tried all the demos, and their nothing but overglorified dungeon crawl. The Codex crowd slobbers over it because it has turn based combat. It's too bad that the tb combat is of the simpliest nature as to be boring and unthinking. There is absolutely no role-playing in the demo, and I'd rather not fork over my cash for the full game(s) to be prven right or wrong about. The sad thing is that the graphics are the best aprt of the game(s).

Then it's pretty easy to see that you haven't actually played the Geneforge demos.

"Hmm, I wonder if these statements are related somehow."

Hehe. Except the fact the SW games are tb.

"Then it's pretty easy to see that you haven't actually played the Geneforge demos."

Nice try; but I have. Big almost empty map with cities of one note npcs, and bland combat.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Avernums are hackfests. ^_^

I don't know who made you think they'd be anything else, but tell him I called him stupid.

Hmm... That was the impression I got from lurking on the Codex boards.

Anyways, nwo that's that settled, you really should try the previous Avernum games. Second and third are universally viewed was the best of the swries and Nethergate isn't bad either. Both games are combat-oriented and eventually you will be just shooting the heftiest spell on you arsenal fight after fight, but at least they are enjoyable. Fourth is not.

Well if they really are just hackfests when it comes right down to it, then never mind. Thanks for the info.