Top Ten with Feargus

Fionavar

It is my hope that this thread will serve to allow the community to refine ideas/questions/inquiries and the like. One ideas you feel you're idea is ready to be added for consideration, please add it to the sticky here: The Top Ten. As I mentioned in the pinned thread, all of these discussions will be closely monitored to ensure that the they remain constructive and respectfully. Though I'm sure this need not be said - but rather than assume - failure to respect the hopes inherent for this new feature will result in censure. Okay not that the authoritarian stuff from the Roost is out of the way ... thanks and I am hopeful that this will become a rich addition to the fora here.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Game related:

Question: Which are Feargus' Top Ten games of all time?

Question: What does Feargus play in his sparetime right now?

Question: When will Feargus succumb to my will and make another post apocalyptic masterpiece?!

Question: What does Feargus think of the state of the RPG market right now?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Something like?:

Does the extra power of the PS3 and X-Box 360 allow Obsidian to better create the immersive games, amazing stories and wicked worlds they wan't than the older PS2 and X-Box? If so; how about the continually upgrading power of the PC? And if yes on both, what added power/functionality helps the most in making a better game instead of just a graphical upgrade?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Game related:

Question: Which are Feargus' Top Ten games of all time?

Question: What does Feargus play in his sparetime right now?

Question: When will Feargus succumb to my will and make another post apocalyptic masterpiece?!

Question: What does Feargus think of the state of the RPG market right now?

When you feel that a question is refined and ready to be added for consideration for the prioritising stage in 4-7 days from now - then add it to the sticky above. My hope is this thread will serve to allow for discussion and perhaps as a filter not to repeat what may have already been added.

I know this doesn't really have to do with games, but I'm kind of curious anyway. 

Question:  Feargus, how's the family doing?

Fenghuang - this question would be fine to add in the pinned thread, imo.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

But.. I'm too shy to be the first to post in the sticky thread. :'(

..and who knows what you used to make it sticky like that!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But.. I'm too shy to be the first to post in the sticky thread.  :'(

..and who knows what you used to make it sticky like that!

It's okay - honest - be the first and you may also be the first person with the first question in the first Top Ten evah! Gon on you'll like it ... :)

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

What do you think of Obsidian's forum community?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just a quick reminded. If you feel that your question is good to go - post it here: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=41308. If you only post it here, it may not end up being considered as it is the questions in the stuck thread that will be considered for each final Top Ten.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

How representative do you believe is the online gaming community in general of the overall marketplace right now, and do you see its vocal and productive nature as a valuable part of the culture and of Obsidian's game design / production?

The Infinity Engine, notably, integrated the strategic nature of D&D into RPG combat, especially through full party control - while others strived to bring out the more 'personal' side of combat (TES). What parts of the former direction do you believe are appealing and are desirable in future CRPGs?

Dunno if the questsions are fully comprehensible as I've tried to keep it short.

Edited by Tigranes

How representative do you believe is the online gaming community in general of the overall marketplace right now, and do you see its vocal and productive nature as a valuable part of the culture and of Obsidian's game design / production?

The Infinity Engine, notably, integrated the strategic nature of D&D into RPG combat, especially through full party control - while others strived to bring out the more 'personal' side of combat (TES). What parts of the former direction do you believe are appealing and are desirable in future CRPGs?

Dunno if the questsions are fully comprehensible as I've tried to keep it short.

Both questions - with their respective depth - both seem like useful additions to the pinned thread Tigranes. Please do add them if you are comfortable with the final format.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Presuming that Feargus got his finger on the pulse of the gaming market, what is at the time of writing the most profitable (ROI ?) market gaming wise ?

Will you/Obsidian have a go at that market ?

Not so much platforms (yes, yes we know, unfortunatedly thats consoles), but game genres (MMO's, FPS etc.) and demographic groups.

If Obsidian had been a boy group, they would already be busy selling merchandise, from g-strings to life size posters with the developers for all the 14 olds out there (which seems to be where the record companies find the loose money).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's an interesting point. I wonder how well received Obsidian brand merchandizing would be by the the marketplace in general and community in particular ... and, if positively, what sort of merchandise would be most in demand, llike shirts, hoodies, action figures, etc.

I think that Developers had been scared into not creating high-profile developers, lest software development end up like the highest level of sport, with super-salaries for super-stars, and I'm thinking about Atari and Activision in particular ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think that Developers had been scared into not creating high-profile developers, lest software development end up like the highest level of sport, with super-salaries for super-stars, and I'm thinking about Atari and Activision in particular ...

I'm thinking of a certain Romero in particular. <_<

Nevermind, carry on.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Just a quick reminder that the thread will likely be closed in the next week - so for those question posed in the thread and not added to the sticky, please do feel free to add them there. If you would rather not, but would like them included, PM me and I'll do some c&p :blink:

Fionavar

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Well, one from the "controversial" category (I thought I would put it here first) :D

How does Feargus feel about outsourcing of work to other places in the world, where the cost of labour is less than in Orange County. As I understand it, assets are a major cost in the development of a game. There must be hundreds of millions of starving artists out there, willing to work for a loaf of bread and a bottle of clean mineral water, easily capable of doing modelling, composing etc. :rolleyes:

Edit: Perhaps I should rephrase it for the sake of clarity. If it was viable, would he outsource work to places like India, China, eastern Europe, whatever ?

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think the rephrase works, but adding the intent of the paragraph "How does Feargus ..." is provocative and adds depth to the challenging nature of the question Gorth. Do indeed add it.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Are we just going to answer for him? Or will Feargus actually answer these questions?

In discussions with Feargus, the hope is that with each finalised set of Top Ten, he will be intentional to contribute directly.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)