New to PnP/DnD? READ

Llyranor

Okay, some of us (including me to some extent) have very little or no PnP experience. Hence, the interest is there, but we might not know where to start.

This is the System Reference Document for DnD3.5 http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

Read through the basic documents and it should give you some insight into how sessions are played.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Or you can read Kaftan's Amazing Guide to D&D 3.5 :o)

Q. How do I kill stuff?

A. You tell the DM "I attack the goblin" and then you roll a 20-sided die. You have something called Base Attack Bonus which is a value from 1-20. You add that value to the result of the roll and if the number is greater than your opponents AC value, then you hit him.

Q. How do I loot?

A. You just tell the DM that you loot everything of value in the room. IF he is an evil DM, he will tell you to roll a d20 and add your "search" value to the roll, if the result is higher than what the DM judges to be the difficulty number, then you find hidden loot.

..and thats pretty much it :-

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Q. How do I loot?

A. You just tell the DM that you loot everything of value in the room. IF he is an evil DM, he will tell you to roll a d20 and add your "search" value to the roll, if the result is higher than what the DM judges to be the difficulty number, then you find hidden loot.

Tell him you want to take 20 on every search check and have all your teammates "aid another" :-"

If I want to start thinking about a character, where can I find one of those Character Sheets that has attributes, skills, feats, etc? And the current Point Buy system, don't they always change the number of points?

Thinking of Wizard or Rogue, but the former might be too hard for a beginner. (Maybe the latter, too. :p)

Ah.... looting. My favourite part about murder is the way people explode into bags of coins and gemstones.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Trying to create a character, using something called PCGen which loads 3.5 info and makes it a little easier for me (and hopefully correct). I'm not worrying about any 'special stuff' or backgrounds yet, just trying to get the mechanics correct:

1/ Eldar sez:

a straight, unweighted point buy system. That's Players, NPCs, and monster NPCs. You have 70 points to attribute. You must put, at the very least 7 points in each attribute.

So I can lump 70 points anywhere, and e.g. make it 8/14/10/16/10/12 ? (or whatever adds up to 70?)

2/ I tried an elven wizard. Apparently with 16int (3x2)x4 = 20 initial skill points, right? I read up on all the skills, and decided to put some into Concentration, Decipher Script, Forgery, Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft.

3/ 1 Feat, I think I did Combat Concentration, though I was surprised to see Run on the list. You need a feat to Run? O.o

4/ In the spell tables, I know about how many spells I can memorise per day, but do I start out with any spells written in my spellbook? And if so, how many per level?

I'm just trying to get up to speed, and hopefully I'll know enough not to slow anybody down in the actual thing. We'll see.

Edited by Tigranes

Tigranes: Yes, you can put your attributes to whatever value you desire. In PCGen, you set your attributes to the desired point and then the program automatically adjusts your score based on your race.

So, your initial set would work just fine assuming it adds up to 70 points.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That's a **** load of information there, Lyr. :-

I'll look into it, but only after I get my dumb ass back on track in terms of school...for christ sakes, I actually let myself slip so far as to be in real danger of not graduating. Three different classes that I need to pass, I'm currently NOT, in the 2nd of 3 six week terms.

Once I'm certain that I do, in fact, have a future, I'll get right on this.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

You're not the only one, I'm afraid.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes, that's the natural reaction.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Stomp stomp stomp, zap, boom, kabloowie.

*sigh*

Oh yeah.... :lol:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes :lol:

kirottu said:

WhiiiiIIIIIIRR

...stomp

CRUNCH

YOU HAVE FORTY SECONDS TO COMPLY

-Elwood Blues

• 1 year later...
WhiiiiIIIIIIRR

...stomp

CRUNCH

YOU HAVE FORTY SECONDS TO COMPLY

I'd like to apologise for this. It's just wrong on so many levels.

-Elwood Blues