What is Obsidian in relation to BioWare?

Steel Caliber

You're being snappish with the newbies again Visc.

Obsidian has no official connection with Bioware. However many of the members of the two companies are pretty good friends, and respect each other's talents. Back in the day Bioware published under the company that roughly 1/3 of Obsidian's current staff come from, Black Isle Studios. After Black Isle Studios fell with Interplay, Obsidian was formed and needed stuff to work on so they'd have money for more projects, a nest egg of sorts. Bioware helped them out.

Old friends, book ends, etc.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Game Developer Studies have their own strange story... Heh.

You know, if you ask me I would says... Both companies make such great games! And they are familiar to each other very much, but you cant just live with one of them, you just gotta have both.

As have been stated before they are friends, and likes to share things together...

Yes...and no.

Most of Obsidian is the staff from Interplay and if it weren't for Interplay than Bioware wouldn't be where it is today. I guess they're just trying to repay the favor.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

"Obsidian has no official connection with Bioware."

Oh really? So.. they didn't license BIO tech from BIO? WOWSERS!

"Most of Obsidian is the staff from Interplay and if it weren't for Interplay than Bioware wouldn't be where it is today."

False. BIO is where they are today because they made it so. They are 100% responsible for their successes (and possible failures). Just as Obsidian ultimately is for those.

Let's also not forget the fact that Interplay tried their bestest to screw BIO (among other developers) so trying to give credit for that to Obsidian is not exactly cool to say in regards to the cool dudes at Obsidian.

" I guess they're just trying to repay the favor."

Not quite. The BIO owners have a good ralationship with the Obsisidan founders, and since they weren't inetrested in making NWN2 or KOTOR2 they decided to prod them in the right desription.

Obsidian (and ye old dogs at Interplay/BIS) did NO favors for BIO. You do know what a favor is right? They did a business deal. A business deal that BIO earned; not given.

BIO had a contract(s) with Interplay. It was a professional relationship; not a favor from one to another. A favor is usually done without contracts last I checked.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Obsidian has no official connection with Bioware."

Oh really? So.. they didn't license BIO tech from BIO? WOWSERS!

"Most of Obsidian is the staff from Interplay and if it weren't for Interplay than Bioware wouldn't be where it is today."

False. BIO is where they are today because they made it so. They are 100% responsible for their successes (and possible failures). Just as Obsidian ultimately is for those.

Let's also not forget the fact that Interplay tried their bestest to screw BIO (among other developers) so trying to give credit for that to Obsidian is not exactly cool to say in regards to the cool dudes at Obsidian.

" I guess they're just trying to repay the favor."

Not quite. The BIO owners have a good ralationship with the Obsisidan founders, and since they weren't inetrested in making NWN2 or KOTOR2 they decided to prod them in the right desription.

Obsidian (and ye old dogs at Interplay/BIS) did NO favors for BIO. You do know what a favor is right? They did a business deal. A business deal that BIO earned; not given.

BIO had a contract(s) with Interplay. It was a professional relationship; not a favor from one to another. A favor is usually done without contracts last I checked.

Honest I wasn't around back then and what I said is what I gleaned from hanging around these boards for a year or so. Everyone else was yelling at the newbie so I figured I'd be nice for a change, looks good to the POs. :blink:

I do have to say that licensing Bio tech doesn't really seem like an official connection to me though, otherwise Epic has official connections with half the industry. :)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

"I do have to say that licensing Bio tech doesn't really seem like an official connection to me though, otherwise Epic has official connections with half the industry."

Yup. When you sign contracts to sell/exchange tech I'd consider that an official connection.

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't both companies part of Black Isle Studios?

If I remember correctly, Bioware recommended Obsidian to make KotOR TSL becase of the experience they had together.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

I wouldn't, at least not in that case.

An official connection I'd consider something like, Obsidian is owned by Bio, Obsidian is partners with Bio, Bio is Obsidian's publisher, etc.

Licensing an engine seems more along the line of buying a product to me but whatever.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Holy semantics, Batman!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't both companies part of Black Isle Studios?"

No. BIO was an independnet company signed by Interplay(BIS) to make games.

Obsidian was never a part of BIS. Its founding members used to work/run BIS which was a division of Interplay.

Edited by Volourn

A favor is usually done without contracts last I checked.

Not at all. It's not at all uncommon for business contracts to be structured in such a way that it could be interpreted as a favor. Granting a contract at a significantly reduced price compared to the competition based on previous working relationships (or perhaps reciprocating a similiar gesture) would be a favor as far as I'm concerned. For the record this is not a comment about whether or not Bioware did do Obsidian a favor.

As for "official connections," I agree with those posters that do not see licensing an engine as being an official connection. Pandemic and Bioware are what I would consider an official connection, as they are for all intents and purposes now working together under the same parent company.

Edited by alanschu