can a sith lord be a woman?

Sith Lord is simply a Sith title equivalent to Jedi Master. Both titles apply to both male and female. Besides, you don't see any Jedi Mistresses walking around. :rolleyes:

PS: Lumiya gave herself the title of Dark Lady of the Sith after both Anakin and Palpatine (along with all his clones) were dead. So, does that help a little?

Edited by Jedi Master Dakari

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

Amen Judge Hades. Finally something worthwhile has come out of your cybermouth. :rolleyes:

He is right. It is just like females running for president. Just because our country's(U.S.A.) past 42 prezzes have been of male gender doesn't mean that women can run or get elected. Just because they are of a different sex doesn't mean they can't do the same thing men can.

dragon113mq.jpg

"Great intelligence usually goes hand in hand with great stupdity."

Join The Sibilati!

-Sibilati retrorsum sibilamus

Sith Lord is simply a Sith title equivalent to Jedi Master. Both titles apply to both male and female. Besides, you don't see any Jedi Mistresses walking around. :rolleyes:

PS: Lumiya gave herself the title of Dark Lady of the Sith after both Anakin and Palpatine (along with all his clones) were dead. So, does that help a little?

Occasionally, a female jedi master might be referred to as Mistress. Atris was addressed as "Mistress" by the Handmaidens but that really had nothing to do with her being a jedi.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE U GUYS!!! OF COURSE A SITH LORD CAN BE A WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because most of the time a sith lord women is a hot sithlord women. lol.....im just tellin it staright up :)

stealthsig96zx.jpg

He's not saying a woman can't be a Sith Lord - it's just whether you would refer to her as a "Sith Lord".

Besides, you don't see any Jedi Mistresses walking around

Bastila ;)

True... I was quite surprised when I read such reactionary answers to that simple post. Raising and rubbing the "feminist" card on his face was uncalled for, cheap shot really :cool:

Sheesh... lead posisoning and political correctness are interchangeable in my book :p

My first language is Spanish, which is very gender-focused. If I called a Spanish-speaking woman "sir" or "lord" I'd be stared at crossly, at the very least. :D

;)

I have to ask, why was this needed to be in its own thread.  Why did this question need to be asked?  Why can't people use common sense and answer these things for themselves?

*lol* You have a point :)

Maybe the game will be reissued as KOTOR II: The Sith L/ords/adies/Mistresses to avoid these posts in the future. The logo may take half the game cover, but what the heck. :p

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE U GUYS!!! OF COURSE A SITH LORD CAN BE A WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because most of the time a sith lord women is a hot sithlord women. lol.....im just tellin it staright up :p

;)

Think of the title of "Sith Lord" being gender-blind, much as the same way the folks in the Star Trek world would refer to their subordinates as "Mister," like James T. Kirk refers to Lt. Saavik as "Mister Saavik."

:p

He's not saying a woman can't be a Sith Lord - it's just whether you would refer to her as a "Sith Lord".

Besides, you don't see any Jedi Mistresses walking around

Bastila :)

True... I was quite surprised when I read such reactionary answers to that simple post. Raising and rubbing the "feminist" card on his face was uncalled for, cheap shot really :cool:

Sheesh... lead posisoning and political correctness are interchangeable in my book :p

My first language is Spanish, which is very gender-focused. If I called a Spanish-speaking woman "sir" or "lord" I'd be stared at crossly, at the very least. :D

as is the english language

as is the english language

;) Well, not as deeply as in Spanish. I don't want to turn this thread into a grammar lesson (I'd prefer trivial threads to fade quietly into the background)...

/teacher mode ON

Take inanimate objects for instance. English has the gender-neutral article "the" to refer to, say, "The chair." In Spanish, you have *two* articles that accomplish that same role: "el" (which is masculine), and "la" (which is feminine). In Spanish, "silla" (which is th translation for "chair") requires the *feminine* article (don't ask, lol), so you must say "la silla" (the chair). "El silla" is a grammatical horror :D

But I guess that is true for all languages that descend directly from Latin, anyway

/teacher mode OFF

/Police Squad! mode ON/ Move along now... there is nothing to see here... /Off/

In le army i'd call a female commanding officer "sir"...

Precisely, in the *military*.

Are the Jedi a military organization?

Their titles are more related to medieval titles than anything else (to evoke that sense of olden times I guess)... you know, there were dukes/duchesses, Margraves/margravines, counts/countesses, that sort of thing.

Hmm, maybe I should shut up, since there was this Angelina Jolee Bindo in KOTOR1 , hehe j/k

Edited by hierogrammate

Hmm, but "Lord" is a medieval title, and that is militaristic in a way (feudal lord). And there is a Jedi Council, that deliberates. And they try to keep the peace and make balance, so basically they are like galaxy police. So they police things, which is militaristic too. Verily, it doesn't matter.

Since Lord is a male term, there is no such thing as a female Lord. Whoever heard of a "Darth" female outside of KOTOR?
Why outside of KOTOR? KOTOR is no more or less canonical than other EU sources. If KOTOR II says that there was a female Darth (Traya), then there was.

A woman can be a Sith Lord, if she can do an adaquate job with a Sith Lord's laundry. Upon the "separation of the whites" she then becomes a full-fledged Lord of the Sith.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Hmm, but "Lord" is a medieval title, and that is militaristic in a way (feudal lord). And there is a Jedi Council, that deliberates. And they try to keep the peace and make balance, so basically they are like galaxy police. So they police things, which is militaristic too. Verily, it doesn't matter.

Well, yes and no.

I'll readily admit that I find it silly to make these comments to analyze a fictive creation (with exaggeratedly huge timelines) written with modern sensibilities, and not actual history... but that's what we fans often do anyway ;) I'm not being argunentative here (well, at least trying NOT to be), just trying to clarify what I said. I'm no historian either, just writing what I know on the subject at hand.

Lord is really an aristocratic/political title and, sure, there are usually knights under them, but its not a military title in the modern sense (and sometimes a few of those "underlings" had more power than the Lord himself). The Jedi Council is also more of a political body too, a theocracy of sorts (with The Force as the Higher Power there). They are also more like Roman magistrates than modern police too (the law-enforcing police force as we know it didn't began to take form until one or two centuries ago). I mean, they go around and (some) people see them as just arbiters, and sometimes, judges or lictors.... but police? I don't think so. Maybe if they start issuing speeding tickets for Banthas (j/k). Still, I won't stand firmly behind this, again, since the Jedi Order etc. are recent fictiive inventions... more a fuzzy plot device than anything else.

Still, the original topic here was about gender and titles. Sorry for digressing.

What I meant here was that I agreed that in MODERN military contexts, like in the US, you will find ppl calling a female military superior "sir," instead of using her actual military rank, as you correctly pointed out. In other words, in that context, "sir" is used as a less formal address for "Captain" or "Lieutenant" or whatever other rank you are subordinate to.

But Lord (if we judge it from its historical roots), is a bit different. Lord could be used as a less formal address for a Duke, Count/Earl, Margrave, etc. (almost the same as the use of "sir"above in moder US military settings). Lady or Mistress (although modern use of the latter rather complicates things a bit) could be used in the same manner for a Duchess, Countess, Margravine, etc. So, historically, these particular titles are genre-bound.

If they are not doing that in the movies and the novels (and I admit I began and stopped reading any SW novels after Timothy Zahns' Thrawn trilogy), well, ok then. But that doesn't invalidate or changes its actual origin.

Edited by hierogrammate

Since Lord is a male term, there is no such thing as a female Lord. Whoever heard of a "Darth" female outside of KOTOR?
Why outside of KOTOR? KOTOR is no more or less canonical than other EU sources. If KOTOR II says that there was a female Darth (Traya), then there was.

I agree, "darth" is something ELSE altogether, an invention of the SW universe. The "Darth" title appears to be genderless.

Sometimes I wonder if this "Lord vs. Lady" debate is because "Lord" sounds to some so agressive and testorterone-laced while "Lady" sounds to others passive and "passing the time knitting"-like. Tell that to Lady Lucrezia Borgia or Lady Mary Stewart (no relation to Martha Stewart, please). :D

Edited by hierogrammate