The online campain thread

I think we were talking about when Numbersman went ape on Baley when he went solo whore for an hour while the rest just sat and waited.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Whatever, dammit. breaking up the group is a bad idea. Sure, it sometimes makes sense. But making a fun gaming experience is my singular goal. Where the rules provide fun, we will follow them. Where the rules will be unfun, we will discard them. Everywhere else, we will decide our course of action based on the constraints of the moment. Breaking up the group is usually a bad idea for the very reasons folks have cited in this thread.

If you guys want to PM your characters, I'll be glad to read them. If you want to email them to me, just send them c r a t e r e u s [atsign] a o l [dot] c o m.

I will be available any time between 8am to 8pm pm on Friday. So, you guys can just let me know.

I will make a post with backstory and campaign specific rules on Wednesday. That should give you plenty of time to read it before our first game. I look forward to getting this campaign off the ground.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, for starters, we first need to know WHO exactly is going to be attending the Friday session. Given the interest level, we're trying to accommodate two teams. Unless you, like, don't mind a 11-dude party. Or, unless we assign an arbitrary limit and use a first-come first-serve policy.

What timezone are you referring to, anyway?

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Sorry, Pacific time and I'm leaving the group organization to you. The setting and rule specific info won't change no matter how many players. As far as the number of players goes, it looks like you're handling that pretty damned well, Llyr. So, like I said, I'll post campaign info on Wednesday.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The setting and rule specific info won't change no matter how many players.

Hmm, so we could theoretically stay as one group. Though, that will inherently bring its own problems, what with some players potentially dominating while others just stay in the shadows, or just general chaos.

In any case, if you do start this week, Friday would likely be the only session to start off. I don't think Saturday's would be ready yet, since it kind of still lacks a DM.

Hadescopy.jpg

I don't mind having everyone show up for the first session. It would mean less gaming and more going over the conventions. We could have a few quick examples of in town NPC encounters, outdoor creature encounters, and some encounters to showcase some of the basics of the game. In fact, that might be a good idea so folks get a chance to see the PnP rules in action.

....But I think you misunderstand me. What I mean is, the setting is the setting and the specific rules to the setting are going to remain the same. I think an 11 person group is going to be a real bitch. We can give it a shot, but I'm afraid it will be difficult and thus discourage folks who would otherwise enjoy the game.

Obsidian Plays

That *could* work on paper, but going through those encounters with so many people could prove to be quite cumbersome. As you say, though, it could just be some sort of teaching session. We'll see how people organize themselves, first. If people aren't getting their act together and do their part in helping to setting the sessions in proper order, then we might end up dropping some people, too.

Hadescopy.jpg

Not to be hard hearted, but that's only fair. Frankly, for all the stated interest, I think there probably won't be a lot of people there. It's not going to be possible for some folks and others will reconsider.

Obsidian Plays

Actually, in that sense, maybe it would be a good way to assess interest. The people who don't show up on Friday, for example (unless they've preemptively reported an inability to attend, such as RPdude), would be removed from the list. Even with just a couple out in this way (which would be unfortunate, but reliability is pretty much a requirement, I'd say), we'd have the party down to 7-8, which could actually be manageable. Also, having a slight surplus of players could make up for occasional absentees (would could then perhaps be placed into the role of a NPC for that week).

Hadescopy.jpg

Sure. The fact is, we'll all have to make concessions. I think we can just meta's example of having folks standing guard at the rear and such. I don't like doing that, but you've got to work with folks. Anyhow, this is a great dialogue between us, but I'm hoping folks respond to you in the other thread and we can get an idea of how many people are in the game and what classes they want to play.

Obsidian Plays

Sorry, Pacific time and I'm leaving the group organization to you.  The setting and rule specific info won't change no matter how many players.  As far as the number of players goes, it looks like  you're handling that pretty damned well, Llyr.  So, like I said, I'll post campaign info on Wednesday.

Hopefully this will include channel and serve information for IRC?

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I'm glad to have you guys. So far, we've got a good core group going.

Eldar is a great name for a DM. On the other hand, since we're all gaming together, you can call me Daniel, Dan, Danny, Danny-boy. Danielito, Danmeister, the Great Dandini, or some such. I'll answer to both, but Eldar sounds too formal for the kind of beer swilling, chip eating, wench chasing (only my wife, of course) sort of campaign I intend to run.

Obsidian Plays

The Great Dandini should be notified of the fact that I am scheduled to be on a camp all of this weekend. o.O That's probably not so good.

Hola El Danielito, I try to get my act together(e.g read the links Llyranor provided) and be wherever I'm wanted on the net on friday/saturday.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It's not I have nothing against variety, but I suggest we remove competition between players altogether or stay to core classes. Things could get kinda messy and unfair. Of course, if this going to be a happy romp as one close-knit(more or less, I expect the chaotics to not agree with the lawful, etc) party, then no worries.

Oh yeh; what about pets, familiars, guardian spirits and companion animals, et cetera? Any restrictions?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Okay, the group dynamic will probably be good. This is an IRC game, which means I

Edited by Eldar

Obsidian Plays

Name: Horace

Race: Halfling (Aka Hobbit)

Class: Rogue

Alignment: Neutral

Height: 2' 11"

Weight: 40 lbs.

Level: 1

Exp: 0

-------------------------------------------

STR: 9

INT: 16

CON: 9

DEX: 13

WIS: 12

CHA: 11

--------------------------------------------

EQUIPMENT:

Item: Weight (lbs.):

Pants .05

Shirt .05

Leather Boots 1

Wool Socks .025

Archer's glove (left) .25

Backpack w/Quiver 2

Shortbow 7

Rope (30 ft.) w/Grapple 5

Dagger (Iron) 9

Small Leather Cuirass 8

Small Leather Greaves 8

Arrows (30) (Iron) 7.5 (.25 each)

Total: 47.875 out of 67.5

SKILLS:

Skill: Pts. (total= 8+3 *4)

sleight of hand 4

spot 4

use rope 4

climb 4

jump 4

bluff 4

open lock 4

swim 4

tumble 4

listen 4

sense motive 4

SPECIAL abilities:

Sneak Attack

Trapfinding

Backstory: Horace hails from the (relatively) small hobbit-town of Lohbel. As a child, Horace was loathsome toward

the menial hobbit life that his family led as farmers, and so he would often venture

far away to neighboring towns and areas, exploring and pestering the larger, human town-folk and slowly learning how

to deal slyly in his environments, utilizing his small size and shooting the dimunitive game he spotted in between towns

(technically, the areas he traveled to weren't as far away as he thought,

but hobbit-children are sometimes foolish like that). The hobbits would often deal in the human towns, as they

were neighbors, so eventually his home-town of Lohbel caught word of Horace's questionable antics and, already

disgusted with his unconventional lifestyle as a hobbit, they exiled him with the utmost disdain.

Nowadays, Horace travels from town to town, searching for adventure and hoping to find some lively

cohorts with which to romp.

This is a character someone has already submitted to me. It's a good example of what I'd like to see. Please get your character to me today if possible. It will make it much easier. Also, has anyone decided where we'll meet and what we'll use? I assume it's irc. We can name the channel "Obsidian RPG" if we want or some other similar name.

Obsidian Plays

Name: Horace

Race: Halfling (Aka Hobbit)

Class: Rogue

Alignment: Neutral

Height: 2' 11"

This is a character someone has already submitted to me. It's a good example of what I'd like to see. Please get your character to me today if possible. It will make it much easier. Also, has anyone decided where we'll meet and what we'll use? I assume it's irc. We can name the channel "Obsidian RPG" if we want or some other similar name.

That's one tiny Halfling, even for a Hobbit! Pippin and Merry were 3'6", give or take an inch. :-"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Pippin and Merry were unusually tall for hobbits of that era, especially after their 'late spurt' of growth subsequent to their meetings with the Ents. [/tolkien nerd]