The online campain thread

Okay, tomorrow, tuesday, and thursday are out of the question. Since Saturday is really a good day for you guys, I've done something rare and scheduled DnD for that day. Normally the wife and I go somewhere on Saturdays, that being a day we can spend together. Still, it won't kill me to take Saturday April 22. I can run a short campaign.

I have a more or less standard campaign set for first level characters.

I have a more or less exotic campaign set for first level characters.

I'll work with you guys for a short campaign. If you like it, then we can try to work out scheduling. My experience with large groups is that it's almost impossible to accomodate everyone's schedule, but we can at least get the first two games going. We can consider the first couple of games a prologue. If you guys want to continue, I have other material already written. If someone else steps up to the plate in the interim, the prologue can stand alone as an RPG experience.

At any rate, let me know. The most important thing is to let me know whether you want more or less standard DnD fare or something on the exotic side. Erotic is out of the question.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

hahaha. Well, we'll find a way for anyone to play any standard core class they so desire. Any of you who've participated in various threads know how I feel about prestige classes, which isn't an issue for a two game campaign anyhow. On the other hand, you also know that I put a lot of opportunity for "prestige" like experiences for whatever class you play. My philosophy is to have fun. If we did this at my house, I'd have a big table for playing, a big fridge for beer, soda, and water, and a big counter full of food. I'm not into rules lawyering or enslaving the group dynamic to the ruleset.

A few things you should know before you decide:

I use an unweighted point buy system. Usually, I don't allow any attributes to go under seven unless you give me a really good case that you can roleplay it.

Every NPC gets the exact same point buy system you use, and every one of them levels up in the same way you do.

There are a lot of NPCs. Anyone, and I mean anyone who isn't a grunt will be a specifically crafted NPC with items, abilities, and spells generated before we sit down to play.

If you die at low levels, you're dead. Magic is sufficiently rare, and any raise or resurrect spell sufficiently difficult to cast, that you won't get anyone to even consider raising you.

Characters die in my campaigns. I like to keep everyone alive. I root for the party,but the campaign will punish stupidity.

Finally, the vast majority of non-combat rolls are hidden. I'll make secret rolls for hiding, searching, and whatnot.

Ultimately, however, I'm willing to discuss, at the very least, different ideas. I'm not implacable, so we can hash out details as they arise.

I can understand if what I've described dissuades you from playing. I hope to get something started, but I think it's only fair to be upfront about these things.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Okay, well, I can handle either this upcoming friday or saturday. I'll let folks give their opinions. So far, the only person who's expressed a setting opinion is baley, with exotic.

Obsidian Plays

I shouldnt say anything because Im in the wrong timezone and will most likely be stinking drunk by the time we play but.. if you know the Rolemaster rules, wouldnt that be much more fun to play?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dammit, Kaftan. Okay, we have to decide on ruleset before we continue. I think DnD is the best choice for a variety of reasons. I'm willing to go with Rolemaster, but most folks probably haven't even had a fleeting exposure to the ruleset. Okay, out to dinner. I'll check in tonight.

Obsidian Plays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolemaster

Since I probably wont make it to play, you shouldnt really bother with my opinions. But the only one who must know the rules are the GM, the players could just go along with it.

But mostly I wondered about Rolemaster because its a system Ive always wanted to try but never had the chance to. I love massive, complex systems and RM seems fun :D

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Except you won't be there. :p

I won't be around this saturday, and living in Korea/NZ means I've never been able to actually sit down and play pnp properly, anyway, so I'd probably have no idea if I tried to play. :( Are you guys going to do it in IM or on here? If the latter I'd love to come and read up on it later, but I assume IM would make much more sense.

Edited by Tigranes

@Llyranor: I can handle most Fridays on a regular basis. We're sticking with DnD.

@Kaftan: Rolemaster can be fun, but an IRC Rolemaster sounds like a pain in my backside. Tell you what, we can tinker with a quick Rolemaster session sometime down the road.

@Child: If you want to call your character baley's sister, I don't care, Jim. Just don't flip out when she goes to the great beyond.

@everyone: You can choose character classes and races from the DnD Core Rules. I suggest buying the PHB, but you can also find the online core rules for free download here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

I use these resources most of the time when I create campaigns. During play, I will reference handbooks. Generally, however, I don't reference rules during game play unless I must.

Please give me specifics about what you prefer for the setting.

Also, I'd like to know your character class, race, skills, feats, and other pertinent information. If you need help, you can post it here for help from the players at large or PM me if need be.

I do not frown upon side chat between the players and DM.

Obsidian Plays

I'd want to play, but frankly I don't have a clue where to begin with anything.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Any more specific limitations on character creation, Eldar? i.e are we limited to just PHB races, classes, feats? Or can we think outside the box? Are there any setting specific criteria? What pointbuy value should we use?

I have two big projects due Thursday, so I think a pnp session is exactly what I'll need to cool down on Friday. Have we decided on a time yet?

Also, I am in accord with Baley. Exotic is always good.

Edited by Archmonarch

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Okay, let's just stick with the core classes and races right now. There are a lot of beginners in this campaign and I'd rather keep it simple in terms of character creation. The setting won't be high fantasy, but character creation will be core or now.

I don't have time to help you today, Mus?. Maybe someone can give him a hand with the characters? I'll try to look in tonight and then, if you can just get a general idea of where you want to go with your character, I'll help you get there.

Obsidian Plays

Probs your way, Llyr.

Thanks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

And might I add a few bits of advice on playing online. Learnt from Enders VtM game and others:

• Dont split the party
  • Dont allow solo play

It might make sense in the story to allow players to go off on their own or to split the party, but what it does is alienate the other players who are forced to just sit and wait it out. When playing online it also takes much longer to play, if a player goes off solo and gets into a fight, the other players can expect to have to wait up to an hour.

Its unfair.

I'm in the same boat as Mus?. Want to play, so I'll make sure I read up on the above link. I know the CRPGs down to the toenail, but I'm pretty sure that won't help that much. :p

You guys were talking about Friday, what time Friday? What timezone? It'll probably work out for 3am or something for me, but that's probably better. :)