I quit the Subway!

Fenghuang

I don't have another job lined up yet, but I'm ****ing enthused right now.

I got tired of being yanked around, getting maybe a two days a week ($90+tips give or take a few depending on the shifts) and left work to do from my coworkers. The proverbial straw came along today when the girl I was working with told me "If your close isn't really good tonight Julie (the manager) is going to be really upset." Instead of saying "**** if I care." (this is the same manager who told me 'talk to you later' when I tried to explain my coworkers were screwing me out of hours) I said okay, I was still going to do it, I was gonna do my best to close. Then she says "This stuff is up here (pointing at the whiteboard with the prep work on it) because it needs to be done." Prep work is not my job, it's the 4-7 person's job because the closer is ****ing busy anyway. She is the 4-7 person, this is not the first time I'd been yelled for neglecting to do other people's jobs (I do what I have time for, but c'mon) but before it had only been the manager, who was my boss. At that moment I decided to quit, I had yet to decide in what manner though.

I ended up writing "I QUIT. Drop off my key tomorrow. -Jim" on the whiteboard. Tomorrow is payday, so it worked out well. I then finished up a day, did better in tips than I had the whole time I've been working there because it was the first nice day in awhile, and people were out and about, then come closing time I left the store in total disarray. I made sure and turned off the ovens and **** so the place won't burn down, and I left the line cooler on so the food wouldn't spoil, but other than that the place was just like it had been when I came in, only a little dirtier. It was ****ing great. The best part is, the manager opens tomorrow! Very Happy

Even better, the last customer of the day was a friend of the old manager who I hired on, who was awesometastic. We were out of every kind of breada but Wheat, and joking around he says "What the hell is this, I'm calling up Jaime and asking what happened here." Jaime is in Washington now, she got a new gig and moved away. Anyhow, I get to talk with her on the dude's cellphone, she says she kind of expected this because the chick who got promoted to manager was sexist and had driven off the few male employees she'd managed to get hired behind the owner's back in the past. Now, if she wasn't the ****ing manager I could deal with it. I mean, if my coworkers give me **** I don't give a damn, but when the person who's supposed to watch my back when I'm doing good, and berate me when I'm bad is, **** dude. No wonder she was constantly harping on me when I was doing my best. Oh well. Anyhow, the dude was awesome, he and I ended up in a sort of three way conversation with Jaime on his cellphone, who is also a total techgeek I found out, too bad I didn't know when she was in town, we could've talked shop (she's married guys, no asking for her number). This went on until after closing, but I really didn't care because I was having a good time, and I wasn't planning to close except n the most barebones sense anyway.

So we talk, and talk, then I end up getting the old manager's phone number to put on new job apps so I can actually have a postive reference (she adored me, I was a quick learner and she said my first solo close was one of the best newbie close she'd ever seen) for new job apps. After that I literally spent an hour talking to the dude in the parking lot just because we were having fun chatting. Politics were the main subject, but we also discussed computers (using a car radiator as a water cooler for PCs was a new idea to both him and Jaime, and we thought up some rad mods), and a new way to harvest CO1/2 from the atmosphere to make synthetic oils, essentially creating a cheap reusable resource that would work on current tech. It was fun.

Anyhow, there's gonna be hell tomorrow when I go in to get my paycheck if she doesn't call here first (I hope she doesn't, she'll wake my dad) and I don't have a new job yet, but I'm really really happy.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Good for you Jim. There is always more work out there, so don't worry too much about finding another job. Here's hoping your next work experience isn't so negative.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I've already got a job interview lined up with an Ice Cream parlor (they finally called back about the app I handed in same time as the one at the Subway). Also I'm going to apply for a job at the local movie theatres (same kind of deal as the Subway, same person owns the three in town) as I talked with one of the guys that worked there for roughly half an hour yesterday just because it was down time for him, and he was enjoyable to talk to, and he said that he's had a really good experience working there. Also the people who work there have always looked consistently happy, if tired (what with crazy hours), and fun.

Also Quiznos is hiring, maybe I should defect. :thumbsup:

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I have no doubt that someone with your unique qualifications will have no trouble finding a new job in either the food service or housekeeping industries. Best of luck.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Best of luck in the job search, Formerly-CoF/SoE. And great way to quit. Use that board, a tool of the man to stick it to the man!

Or rather, Wo-man!

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Yo Eru, remember to tell how it went with the paycheck, ok?

:geek:

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hey Calax can I come down and work at the McDonald's with you?

sure :-

the McDees in auburn pays more (it's at about 10 an hour because alll the sanfransisco tourist busses go by there with grumpy tourists) where mine only pays about 7.25.

but my boss is cool. If I don't get a ten or somthing like that happens she'll make it up with either buying my food or giving me another break the next day :)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've already got a job interview lined up with an Ice Cream parlor (they finally called back about the app I handed in same time as the one at the Subway).  Also I'm going to apply for a job at the local movie theatres (same kind of deal as the Subway, same person owns the three in town) as I talked with one of the guys that worked there for roughly half an hour yesterday just because it was down time for him, and he was enjoyable to talk to, and he said that he's had a really good experience working there.  Also the people who work there have always looked consistently happy, if tired (what with crazy hours), and fun. 

Also Quiznos is hiring, maybe I should defect.  :(

Cinema is a cool place to work at your age: free films, lots of peers and girls and films, and you have to ability to hand out free passes to prospective girls, AND you have somewhere to take them on a date (AND even get paid).

Sorry to hear the tribulations of the workplace, but it is a fact of life: not every situation is salvageable, and Kenny Rogers was right.

I have no doubt that someone with your unique qualifications will have no trouble finding a new job in either the food service or housekeeping industries. Best of luck.

Peter Venkman responding to Audrey, upon her asking for some time off, Ghostbusters.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

just going to point out that you could report your former boss to the franchise owner for being sexist. And if the owner does nothing toss a letter at the department of labor.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Janine Melnitz

Was commenting form memory, I didn't even check the spelling of Venkman (although I got it right). Audrey is the girlfriend in Little Shop of Horrors (one degree of seperation with Rick Moranis). Plus, she talks like an Audrey. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

just going to point out that you could report your former boss to the franchise owner for being sexist. And if the owner does nothing toss a letter at the department of labor.

I would but the owner of the franchise owner is also a sexist, doesn't hire male employees because he thinks they're all thieves. The old manager hired me behind his back because he let two of her staff take extended vacations and she needed the help bad. I'm too lazy to do something long and drawn out like file a report with the labor board or take a discrimination suit. Though the discrimination suit is pretty tempting as I'd eventually get some money out of it.

But like I said, lazy, and I'm pretty happy right now as I have a good reference out of the old manager when I was already getting ready to quit...before I was just gonna find another job and leave two weeks notice first.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Peter Venkman responding to Audrey, upon her asking for some time off, Ghostbusters.

Good catch, but I though it was Ann Potts

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I've already got a new job. I defected to the Quizno's, they hired me on the spot.

As for going into work and getting the paycheck and dropping off the key, mass hilarity/embarassment for the manager ensued.

I walked in, bold as hell, slapped the key down on the counter, went back to get the check. They hadn't been dropped off yet so I got ready to leave. The following conversation took place a little before Noon.

Julie [manager]: Hey Jim, wait.

Me: What?

Julie: so you're not even going to finish out the week?

Me: Nope.

Julie: Wow, you couldn't even make it working in fast food? That's pretty sad.

Me: Yeah, and you've managed to chase off every guy Jaime [previous manager who is totally sweet and awesome] ever hired, that's pretty sad too.

Julie: <glares>

I walk out the door to the back room and head for the exit. She hollers from the back "So are you gonna use that as an excuse?" I says, "No, but I'm sure the Labor Board and the ACLU would just love to hear about it." And then, this is the kicker, she screams in front of the entire store, during lunch rush, which consists mostly of little old men and women since this is a retirement community "BULL****!"

:(

I went back and got the check later since they hadn't been dropped off yet. She handed it to me over the counter and I says "Thanks, good luck." It's always good to be congenial even if you're lying through your teeth, drives your opponent crazy and makes them look worse when they lose it. I head for the door, having been polite and 'wished her well' and she says as I'm walking out "IT'S NOT ABOUT BEING MALE OR FEMALE." again, in front of the still ongoing lunch rush, I think I came out pretty good.

Quizno's is hiring me for $0.50 less than Subway did an hour, but they want me for sixteen hours more than what I was promised when I hired on at Subway. From the various contracts and layout of the store, it looks to be a better work environment. Everything is new and shiny, and there should always be 2-4 people on staff, which means no more of the "OH GOD THERE'S TWENTY PEOPLE IN LINE AND ONLY ONE OF ME AND MOST OF THEM WANT 3-5 SAMMICHES OR MORE!" that I got at the Subway. I am pretty happy. I also get to go home and sleep earlier from this job. :)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP