'Dark Messiah of M&M' interview, 2 gameplay movies

funcroc

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3149483&did=1

1UP: So most of the design of the game is designing objectives that are satisfying and rewarding and entertaining to get to...

RC: ...and then let the player play with the tools we provide and let him express himself the way he wants and play the way he wants.

JR: In some cases if we decide that you can earn an experience point because of the objective -- for instance killing people -- some player will probably find a way we didn't think about to do it...

RC: It's a player-driven experience. We want him to surprise us. We want him to do something us designers didn't even think about. The more people who play that way, the more we'll be glad.

Edited by funcroc

I'm leery of it, but I have my hopes. I loved the Might and Magic series. I hated it when 3DO drove it into the ground. I have mixed feelings about what I've seen so far, but I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Dark Messiah is going to be awesome. :cool:

Rope arrows man! ROPE ARROWS!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I read about it in CGW. I was way leery of it, but after that article, I changed my tune a bit. It looks like a very solid fantasy First Person game. You have to think "Thief" more than M&M. The physics engine also sounds super impressive. I really like the fact that casting freeze on the ground will cause enemies to slip...some might even fly off a ledge if you aim it right. That's good stuff.

I don't see this as a disgrace to the M&M name, as 3DO already killed the brand repeatedly by rushing out bad games. Between this and the new HoMM, I'm hoping for a revival.

Edited by Hurlshot

Looks like Oblivion with a deeper combat system.

Which actually got me thinking. If the Revolution controller can act like a virtual weapon. Is the whole pushing buttons thing going to hack it in the future ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yeah, I kinda lost interest in this title. First off, a swordfighting game on the Rev done right would most likely be quite more fun. Second, given Ubisoft's track record, and given how the HOMM5 beta had Starforce, this game will probably end up with Starforce.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Uh, I don't allow Starforce to influence my game interests, but I believe Starforce being a part of HoMM5 beta was a Nival decision. HoMM5 and the new M&M are being developed by two different teams...although I'm not sure on the publishing side.

The Revolution ideas sound great, but I'm still hesitant on how well it will work.

I've never played the games, but I've noticed that 3DO doesn't do much of anything that's...Good.

It's not being made by 3DO, I believe Arkane Studios are making it - They made Arx Fatalis.

3DO? As in the console company that had all the arcade stuff? :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Remember what Atari is today? :)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Aw, man, 3DO were great ... apart from the limited all-the-same-clones games they released ...

Part of the reason why you used to get an RPG every couple of months. Didnt seem to bother anyone at the time.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]