Inter-hall bacon cookout

Atreides

Me and my friends were thinking of having a hypothetical bacon cookout and naturally we'd wash down all that smokey bacon goodness with lots of beer. The cookout would be open to everyone living in the uni halls (hostels) and since it's a bacon theme, you'd get free admission if you dress up like a pig.

Thing is, we're concerned that we might catch flak from dudes. Technically we're not discriminating against anyone - everyone's invited. There's not any anti-social stuff going on either.

The thing is I remember a food for the homeless gig in France caught flak because their soup had a pork base and they were seen as discriminating against Muslims. Should we be concerned?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

It's within the rights of students to eat bacon. It's an event from which you exclude no-one. You might catch flak, but you should not let the fear of it prevent you from doing it. Anyhow, the last time I was on campus, there was some student group, I think the Korean Christian association or something, that had some sort of pork on the menu. That was perfectly legit and no-one caused a scene. Remember, France is crazy. The folks there are willing to riot and cause mayhem for very little provocation.

Now, to be fair, I think you guys should at least have the option for stripples or some other meat substitute bacon. It's easy to find, cheap, and really does make it open to Muslims who wish to join. Frankly, the beer will be a harder problem, but get non-alcoholic beer also. Just don't get much of either because it probably won't be much of an issue.

Anyhow, if I lived close-by, I'd come and join the fun.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't see a problem. Although you haven't actually written 'No Muslims Allowed' on the posters, you have effectively excluded Muslims because you've created an event which few Muslims would feel able to attend for religious reasons, but that can't be helped. You're not obliged to give up either eating pork celebrating the eating of pork in order to suit someone else's culture or religion. I hope you have a great time. :blink:

A problem would only arise if the social calendar of the university were dominated by pork and alcohol-only events to the point where Muslims were repeatedly excluded and unable to participate. That would be discrimination, even if all of these events were voluntary. I doubt that happens very often, though, as most universities have a pretty varied and rich social scene.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Turkey bacon's ok on a sandwich.

Real bacon can't be beat tho...too bad it's so horrible for you. :-

Sounds like a fun event tho - go for it, don't worry about it...like someone else said, it's a voluntary fun student thing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Muslims don't drink alcohol, so they aren't going to be put out by the bacon thing.

How many muslims are there on campus? Ask them if they want to join in, and what they'd like if they do. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Muslims don't drink alcohol, so they aren't going to be put out by the bacon thing.

How many muslims are there on campus? Ask them if they want to join in, and what they'd like if they do.  ;)

Yeah they aren't supposed to imbibe alcohol but the specifics of that point are in contention... depending on who you talk to. I'm pretty sure any muslims in the proximity won't make a fuss about the bacon event, its not as if they are being denied the ability to eat food of their choosing at cafeterias.

Edited by Surreptishus

Youd better change these plans of yours to a lettuce-cookout right away not to piss off the vegans. And it better be organic and ethicly grown lettuce, none of that cheap taiwanese child-labour lettuce.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And change all your clothing to fairtrade labels, so that there isn't any exploited developing world people paying for your party outfits with their blood, sweat, lack of healthcare / superannuation and slave wages.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, I think Jews and Muslims would consider that even more offensive :)"

p.s

you can make bacon out of turkey? :ermm:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

you can make bacon out of turkey? :huh:

I think it refers to the process and presentation of the turkey meat - curing it and selling it as slices or rashers. Or maybe its because nowadays dead farm animals comprises so much of the animal feed that i guess technically you could get pig meat out of a turkey... :)

Just watched last week's South Park, 1003.  Talk about great timing :)

A quality episode a few stealth jokes that may or may not have been intentional ^_^

The family guy stuff was a bit out of left field though. I enjoy family guy but matt and trey weren't wrong in their criticisms :lol: Now we just have to wait a few months for the reply :ermm:

Edited by Surreptishus

So, pork leaves out the muslims (and jews if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong).

Beer leaves out quite a number of groups too...

If you try beef, all the hindus will sacrifice you to Kali or some such...

If you try vegetables, some enviromental extremist will blow up your dorm...

Only one thing left...

McDonalds :D

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So, pork leaves out the muslims (and jews if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong).

Beer leaves out quite a number of groups too...

If you try beef, all the hindus will sacrifice you to Kali or some such...

If you try vegetables, some enviromental extremist will blow up your dorm...

Only one thing left...

Freefall fruitarian :ermm:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]