ummm... this'll change christianity

Calax

I hate doubting religion...

I just say Jesus was some really helpful guy and God doesn't exist. thats just my opninion though...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Actually, I would say the source is excellent in terms of the scholarship. In terms of the document, wildly varying accounts have been in circulation from the very beginning. The gospels weren't even settled until 4th century anyhow, and, technically speaking, the books of the old testament weren't settled until the middle ages.

So, Christianity as a whole isn't going to be torn or shattered by this translation. It will just go into the pile with other apocrypha. The article said it was based on an early Greek text. I would actually love to see the early Greek text itself. Of course, we'll probably never get that chance.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Bleh, the Catholic church has a ton of this stuff under lock and key. Many religious folks don't seem to understand that there are numerous interpretations of the bible, and the new testament wasn't put together until 400 years after Jesus lived. There is only one real constant, and that is to have faith in a single creator. Everything else is human interpretations.

It's a complicated religion.

Reminds me that I think I promised Eldar to beat him with his bible... I'm such a heathen.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

The trinity was a way to convert the polytheists easier. :-

If this gospel holds truth, or at least as much truth as any other gospel, it seems Jesus was trying to fulfill the prophecy instead of letting it happen naturally. Interesting, don't you think.

Edited by Judge Hades

there are many "gospels" that did not make it into what Christians call "canon". The Gospel of St. Thomas is an example.

Any book from that time that suggests the physical is inherently evil is Gnosticism, one of the earliest heresies.

when it comes to textual criticism, there is "low criticism" and "high criticism". Adding or subtracting a book from canon would be high criticism.

but speaking of criticism in general, there are a number of passages in the New Testament that textual critics say do not belong there, partly because the dialect changes from 1st or 2nd century to 4th or 5th century all of a sudden.

one such passage is the story of the woman caught in adultery and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". chances are, that is not really canon.

You know, it is times like this is why I would love to have a time machine. I would go back in time. Kidnap Jesus, bring him tot he future and have him tell Christians the real lowdown of what he is trying to teach, then take him back for him to get killed.

You know, it is times like this is why I would love to have a time machine.  I would go back in time.  Kidnap Jesus, bring him tot he future  and have him tell Christians the real lowdown of what he is trying to teach, then take him back for him to get killed.

First of all, that is with the assumption that what they already think is incorrect. Secondly, why would you care so much?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That's be an interesting trip.

Hades: Hey Jesus, can you step into this time machine? Your followers are bugging the heck outta me.

Jesus: Sure man...hey, you're a bit pale, want me to cure that?

Hades: That'd be awesome...hey this is way better than a tanning booth!

Jesus: Thanks, it's called heavenly tan. It doesn't even turn orange.

Reminds me that I think I promised Eldar to beat him with his bible... I'm such a heathen.

You know, I do a lot of writing. Oddly enough, because I didn't plan it this way, I almost always have a bible next to my work computer. If it's not there, it's on the shelf some four feet away. If you ever came to my house, Lucius, you could literally pick up my bible and beat me with it.

Of course, I would quickly offer you a beer in the hopes that I could prevent the beating. :Eldar's laughing and offering Lucius a beer icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hey, I would be the type of time traveler that would bring religious leaders of the past to the future to show them the world they help make. Such as I would also love to kidnap Muhammad and show himt the world of Islam or Joan of Arc so I can give her a tour of modern France and it leaders.

Then return them to their own times. Well, maybe I would just dump Joan off in Paris. Leaving someone to be burned alive just doesn't sit well with me.

But you would change the past ... maybe Jesus would decide that it wasn't worth dying for humanity, and he'd run off with Mary to France, settle down and have some children ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

who said jesus didn't have kids? I mean if he's "holier than thou" wouldn't he "be fruitful and multiply" at every possible point?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Linky to aol news

admittedly it ain't the most trustworthy of sourses but still... the whole judas/jesus thing mighta been a hoax!

Oh great a another form of christianity...just what we need.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf