Asking the boss for a pay raise

WITHTEETH

I just found out the new guy at work makes 25% more then i do, well I've been working there for 6 years and do not find this funny.

- I successfully complete more work then him with greater quality consistantly

- I do the risky labor

- I don't have disriminating tatoos

- and damnit, i've worked there for 6 years!

Anyone have any tips for asking for higher wages, I am 23 need some advice please... :wub:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Sit down with your manager and very politely explain why you deserve a raise. Put the emphasis on what you do rather than on the negative aspects of the other guy (don't mention his tattoos or other petty things). Be firm yet extremely polite (repeating myself for a reason). If the the situation is unacceptable to you (financially or personally), ask politely for a letter of reference and move on if they say no. Stay positive and polite. Don't get emotional.

another point, don't ever tell him/her that you need a raise (i.e. rent went up, i need a raise), always state it as you deserve a raise based on your qualifications.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You could have sex with your boss.

Become good friends, get him drunk one night and take sensitive pictures of him for blackmail purposes.

Honestly, ask him politely. Mention the time you've been there, what you do, etc. If he says no without a good reason, find another job before quitting.

Basic rules of getting the most out of pay negotiations are:

- Be doing such good work that your leaving would be a serious pain in the ass.

- Be capable and willing to walk out, including having a backup plan

- Approach your boss when they are in a reasonable mood. Do not be above engineering this good mood with cake.

- Be quick and clear.

If you enjoy that sort of thing you could look at www.dramatec.org for some fairly straightforward game theory and other conflict resolution models.

And best of luck! :D

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oi, that link don't work!

http://www.dramatec.com/

Or did you just make me do what *you* wanted?

Also, what are the factors that might lead to your co-worker having a higher base salary? Age? Experience (obviously elsewhere, but in a similar/usefully-related field)?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Also, what are the factors that might lead to your co-worker having a higher base salary? Age? Experience (obviously elsewhere, but in a similar/usefully-related field)?

13 years older, hes been doing it for probably 19 years, he actually owned his own business, but i run my own crew also just like he does.

We have the same job, I'm faster then he is at what we do, but honestly there are a few things he can do that I can't, vice versa. Hes a better carpenter then i am, but we are not carpenters although we work inthe trades. We are painters/drywallers.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

13 years older, hes been doing it for probably 19 years, he actually owned his own business, but i run my own crew also just like he does.

We have the same job, I'm faster then he is at what we do, but honestly there are a few things he can do that I can't, vice versa. Hes a better carpenter then i am, but we are not carpenters although we work inthe trades. We are painters/drywallers.

Rule One in sales (read: negotiating): never badmouth the opposition.

It sounds like he has been given more remuneration because of his seniority, so I would use that angle when talking to the boss. (As in explain how you are more responsible than it might seem, just look at your work record.)

The good news is that your trade is a very portable, so if you are as good as you say, your boss will know you can go elsewhere and will be more inclined to give you a bit more.

You might even be asked to take on some more responsibility in order to get the raise, too, so have an idea what your response will be.

Also, don't let on that you know how much the other guy is being paid, unless the person already knows that you know.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've learned (I'm 14 BTW) that being polite with ANYONE will get you more respect from important ppl.

But you don't have to trust a 14 year old with no boss except his parents....

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The boss has asked me to run the business for 2 days while hes gone, and the other guy for 2 days also. there really isn't much more responsibility out there for this kind of job. I've got everything down to a tee already.

My boss had a bad run financially for a couple years do to an investment, he suddenly gets out of it and pays this guy more then me. I havent had a raise in 3 years. <_< I'm not gonna show any emotion, trust me. :sorcerer:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

all right... if I understand this corectly, he wants to see whos more responsible?

plz don't let the other guy win. OR ELSE.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I can handle stress, no doubt. This guy cracks when working under pressure while leading, the coworkers already know this, this is already why im runing the business for the 2 days instead of this incapable guy who makes 25% more then i do. <_<

Myspace Website!

My rig

Rule One in sales (read: negotiating): never badmouth the opposition.

Just remember not to say anything derogatory about anyone else. Just phrase everything in terms of your own self and experience, so that you emphasise your own advantages (and minimise/don't mention your weaknesses).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm going up for a contract renegotiation in about a month. So I'll be sure to let you know how badly I get spanked. It will make you feel better. I am pretty chicken when it comes to these things.

Actually, thinking about it I've been getting much better since I started playing poker. Maybe you could try it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

this is a BIG job right? as in not Mcd's or other easy (is it easy?) job?

We have the same job, I'm faster then he is at what we do, but honestly there are a few things he can do that I can't, vice versa.  Hes a better carpenter then i am, but we are not carpenters although we work inthe trades.  We are  painters/drywallers.

:ermm:

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Basically If I don't ask for a pay raise then I'm agreeing to work for less then what I'm worth which means I'm abusing my freedom to negotiate. And I deserve my pay if I don't ask for the raise.

If the car doesn't squeek, then it wont get fixed.

Next week, i couldn't get him alone, he ran off early today. And I wont see him for another week due to him going out of state, thus the reason why i get to run theh show for a couple days.

Myspace Website!

My rig

We have the same job, I'm faster then he is at what we do, but honestly there are a few things he can do that I can't, vice versa.  Hes a better carpenter then i am, but we are not carpenters although we work inthe trades.  We are  painters/drywallers.

:ermm:

I've been doing it for 6 years now. I've got everything down to an artform :- But that is just because the time I've put into it. We use many simple machines, and some aspects can be risky, there are also health hazards for the people that don't take the procautions necessary.

Really any job can be difficult if you don't have the right mindset, its all about how you look at the task. ;)

Myspace Website!

My rig

Take all the cash takings for the job whilst you are in charge, and hold back the salaries for all the workers. Keep all the cash; then you'll have an unparalleled bargaining position, when the boss returns ... :)"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT