Is anger the only emotion the Jedi are aware of?

In K1 and K2 (moreso K1 than K2), they always blab on about how emotions can lead you to the dark side, and when they talk about emotions, it almost, err... I mean, ALWAYS happens to be about anger! Do they think anger is the only emotion out there? How about happiness? Can happiness lead to the dark side? How about love?

Y'know I actually thought that Bastila's going to the dark side was one of those "doing the wrong things for the right reasons" kinda things. Now she could properly express her emotions, whatever they may be. Zez-Kai Ell was right. The Order was flawed at that time. The Jedi should have been allowed to have emotions, but at the same time, keep a clear head about things and not necessarily act on impulse. Heck, by their teachings, a droid would have made the best Jedi :lol::ermm:

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Heck, by their teachings, a droid would have made the best Jedi :lol:  :ermm:

HK-47 for the win :)

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Love. Love leads to jealousy, which can turn one to the darkside. Just look at what happened to Anakin.

Jealousy had nothing to do with it. Anakin's fall was damn near inevitable, where as strong with the force and physically able, his mind was weak and susceptable to the workings of Darth Sidious..and Sidious knew this from the very start.

Love is forbidden because of its emotional entanglements. Love is a powerful emotion, one that can defer your thoughts from better judgment, much like anger can.

The Jedi preach of being mindful of your thoughts, extreme emotions block judgment and without that better judgment you cannot make clear choices or you hesitate to make them, and that can (and most likely will) lead you down the dark path.

The Jedi are wary of all emotions, because every emotion has the possibility to lead one to the dark side.

"There is no emotion..."

Edited by Darth Hades
wookiedance.gif

Love can very easily lead to the Dark Side. Strong emotions of all kinds have the potential to bring you to darkness.

But this is the great problem with the Jedi Order. Passion, anger, and love are all human and thus bring greater power and understanding to those that allow themselves to experience these things. The Jedi purport to help other human beings, but how can they do this when they do not think or suffer like others? The Jedi have good intentions but are unknowingly arrogant and blind to the extreme.

Just my two cents.

swesbrly5iz.gif

Love can very easily lead to the Dark Side.  Strong emotions of all kinds have the potential to bring you to darkness.

But this is the great problem with the Jedi Order.  Passion, anger, and love are all human and thus bring greater power and understanding to those that allow themselves to experience these things.  The Jedi purport to help other human beings, but how can they do this when they do not think or suffer like others?  The Jedi have good intentions but are unknowingly arrogant and blind to the extreme.

Just my two cents.

Your money seems good here.

As we know, not all Jedi are the same, regardless of their oath to the Order. They all have different minds and thoughts as humans (though not all Jedi are human :D).

The codes of the Jedi work to help younglings, Padawans and even Knights/Masters control themselves and their feelings. Similar to modern religions of today, there are many different interpretations of the code, of LS/DS and of the Force itself.

No one way has been proven right all the time, but the basis and guidelines are presented. The Jedi Order of the KOTOR had a strict interpretation and enforcement of the code and had become increasingly paranoid. Fearful of their own demise at the hands of the sith they became arrogant (Vrook and Atris) and overly cautious when decisions needed to be made "in the moment".

wookiedance.gif

Love can very easily lead to the Dark Side.  Strong emotions of all kinds have the potential to bring you to darkness.

But this is the great problem with the Jedi Order.  Passion, anger, and love are all human and thus bring greater power and understanding to those that allow themselves to experience these things.  The Jedi purport to help other human beings, but how can they do this when they do not think or suffer like others?  The Jedi have good intentions but are unknowingly arrogant and blind to the extreme.

Just my two cents.

im glad someone was able to put into words what i could not. very well said. it doesnt seem right to have some elite group deciding what is wrong and right for the people in general, an elite group that locks themselves away from reality and spends their lives thinking at rocks and leaves. According to Revan, one would have to be human to defeat a jedi. as for anakin's fall to the dark side, this was not due to love but rather the fact that it was forbidden, creating feelings of guilt and anger against the jedi. palpatine exploited these feelings and manipulated anakin into turning against the jedi, and later, killing the very person he destroyed the jedi and the republic for. and while some might say that order 66 was terrible and all, it may have been necessary. sometimes a slap in the face will do more than words, and the jedi, who had remained ignorant for nearly 25,000 years, needed a sharp look at reality. the slaughter of nearly all of the jedi order forced them (excuse the pun) to step back and look at what was wrong with the code and teachings.

kotorsign.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

Yoda: Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Just my two cents.

And yet IIRC correctly, the whole issue of love is part of the reason why Grampa Joe left the Order. I think he even states that love doesn't lead to the darkside, and that you've got to control those emotions (keep them in check) instead of letting them take over you

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

There is no emotion, there is peace.

Words I wish I could live by. I have far too much anger in me.

Same here. I get riled far too easily.

I think that if a Jedi can master Detachment, there is almost a guarantee that they will not fall to the Dark side.

Edited by Jedi Brute

Same here. I get riled far too easily.

I think that if a Jedi can master Detachment, there is almost a guarantee that they will not fall to the Dark side.

And yet, "Apathy is death". What is Detachment, if not Apathy?

And just jumping on the bandwagon, I get angry far too easy too. Common human "failing"? :lol:

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

shame you get minimal options where you can force choke, or force crush people, just any NPC that you come across :blink: i would have been over using that power

And yet, "Apathy is death". What is Detachment, if not Apathy?

And just jumping on the bandwagon, I get angry far too easy too. Common human "failing"? =]

To my way of thinking, Detachment is when you do not get too emotionally involved in any one thing. Apathy, on the other hand, to me means that you have no desire to do anthing to either help or harm.

Sometimes it comes down to the strength of character of the individual. No point shielding someone from strong emotions when they will have to face them at some point in their life anyway. Distancing yourself from those emotions doesn't make you stronger, facing and overcoming them while still being true to yourself is what matters. Anyone can get angry, but it's how that anger is dealt with that makes the difference.

*philosophical cap now off*

:blink:"

You're feeble skills are no match for the power of the Bumfluff!!