NWN2 interview & new screenshots

funcroc

Good stuff, though I didn't notice any new info. Nice to see new screenies, though.

More exciting is what JE posted on the Bioboards:

Hello, my friends. I have some exciting information for you all. Perhaps you will be excited to laughter. Perhaps you will be excited to tears. Time will tell.

Our old friend and enemy the radial menu will not be in NWN2. In our (meaning my) analysis, the radial menu was a pretty slow and cumbersome interface overloaded with functionality.

"But wait how will I emote/buff eighteen people/do DM stuff oh God?!"

All of the functionality of the radial menu has been handled through new interface functionality. Forgive me if this stuff has already been discussed. Let me detail it here:

* Right-click hold drop-down menus. Have you played Fallout? Same thing. Holding a right-click on an object (or in the world) will bring up a vertical context-sensitive menu list of icons. Each icon is an action that can be performed on that object or will lead to a vertical sub-menu that contains other actions. E.g. attack is a stand-alone icon. Paladin class abilities leads to a sub-menu of lay on hands, etc. The menus never go deeper than that.

* Quick cast menu. The quick cast menu is a handy lil' menu that brings up every spell you can possibly cast, allows you to pick one and then (optionally) have it immediately close so you can target folks. It's very nice. You can also apply meta-magic feats here.

* Quickbar. You have a lot of potential quickbar slots (~140) and might be challenged to fill them all up. Anthony and Brock may also be implementing a valuable bonus goodie on the quickbar, but the details of it will have to wait...

* Lingering targets. Whenever you select a target for an action, they become your current target. Attempting to perform more actions assumes you want to perform the action on that target unless the target is an invalid type for that action. E.g. selecting an enemy and casting magic missile and sleep wouldn't even bring up the targeting cursor, but trying to cast bull's strength would.

* Modal menu. "Modal" actions like stealth, search mode, rapid shot, power attack, etc. will be on a modal menu that can be expanded or collapsed on the main screen at any time. It's very handy for seeing what modes your character is in and toggling them.

Any questions? Nah, didn't think so. BOOM!

Can you say awesomeness-driven?

Thread: http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewt...475550&forum=95

He also answers more questions in that thread.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Question? Does a target have to be selected in order to cast a spell? Say i want to cast a fireball in the middle of the Opposing parting and not select anyone. Is this possible?

Yes. Not only that, but you will also get a targeting circle so you know where it's going to land. The same goes for rectangular spells like wall of fire.

............................. :thumbsup:

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

1st SS: I must point out that the house in the foreground is... well.. crap. Especially the lit window.

2nd SS: The grass also appears 2D and of even lower pixel quality than Oblivion. At least we're not in first person to have it shoved in the face.

3rd SS: The tree branches are low quality and clip into the air.

Either Obisidian is a lot more honest, or this isn't looking as impressive as previous screenies. Oh well, its just grafikz.

The interface comments sound a lot like what I've always thought was ideal for RPGs. (Except horizontal not vertical drop down menu. :thumbsup:) Good stuff.

I think JE's finally back in his stride with this

Not sure if anyone has asked this, but will Seige Engines of any kind be in the game? It would be really cool to have a catapult launch flaming pots.

It is

a mystery.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

If you want to make a "butt chest," you can place a chest and then make an item called a butt and put it on top of the chest. Then you can giggle a little bit.

Lewl.

(w00t)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

1st SS: I must point out that the house in the foreground  is... well.. crap. Especially the lit window.

2nd SS: The grass also appears 2D and of even lower pixel quality than Oblivion. At least we're not in first person to have it shoved in the face.

3rd SS: The tree branches are low quality and clip into the air.

Either Obisidian is a lot more honest, or this isn't looking as impressive as previous screenies. Oh well, its just grafikz.

The interface comments sound a lot like what I've always thought was ideal for RPGs. (Except horizontal not vertical drop down menu. :thumbsup:) Good stuff.

On the other hand, the elven woman in the screenshot actually looks like a female. Not like in Oblivion, where the ladies all looked like members of the east german olympic swimming team of the 70' and 80's.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Lets not compare it to Oblivion's graphics. The NWN series seems to be worse than the Elderscrolls series in terms of graphics. Yes, Morrowind was better than NWN regardless what Volourn says. It would be like comparing Half Life 2's or FEAR graphics to Doom 3. Let us compare NWN 2 graphics to NWN 1, which NWN 2 looks completely kickarse.

I think the point's filtering straight to relevant options rather than going through the Type of action -> Spell -> Finger of Death thing which makes a lot of sense.

It's a filtered to-the-point menu less the circle.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Mouthwatering screens... AND, it looks like we're *finally* getting rid of the cartoonish-avatars-trend in crpgs. These chars actually look like humanoids! Now if the animations are equally good, I might end up having tripple joygasms playing this game. :o

Hang in there, and don't forget flying, climbing and horses.. :)

*ducks to avoid eggs and tomatoes*

J.

Edited by Junai

I hope this interface works as good as it sounds. It's the main reason why I rarely play mages. I hate having to navigate unwieldy menus just to cast a simple spell. In NWN there's slots available for quick casting but you're screwed if you need something else. Melee characters are so much easier to control and that's usually because you don't have to fight the interface.

GS: We've also heard that the henchmen (and women) will be a lot more interesting in Neverwinter Nights 2. But the henchmen in the original game already had their own stories, so what could you do to make them more interesting? Will you have more control over henchmen in general, and will they be more useful in combat? And will you finally be able to manipulate their inventories on a more detailed basis?

The stupidity of the gaming press never fails to astound.

Ho yeah, the henchmen already had their OWN stories. That is so beyond amazing you can only improve on technical aspects... :rolleyes:"

Edited by Lyric Suite