Atreides

Who'd rule in 3000  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd rule in 3000

• Computers
    • Superior genetic entities
    • Pikachu!

Computers:

We've had computers for 70+ years, longer if you count Babbage's counting machine. Maybe 30 since they started shrinking them and well, computers have infiltrated every part of our lives. If they all went off we'd be going blind. We wouldn't know what to do. No money (food etc), transportation, utilitites blah blah. Stone age.

That's just shown us how dependent to them we've become in just 30 years. What future does AI have for us? A master race with our time in the sun over?

Genetics:

In the other corner we have genetics. When we know enough in the future we can manipulate what we want life to be. The genetic potential to be "Better", stronger, more beautiful, smarter etc. Gattaca suggests society could be segregated with Homo Sapiens v 1.1 taking over. And why stop there? Why do we even need to resemble Homo Sapiens in all but name? Why evolve when we can make leaps?

Anyway who'd you back, technology or a genetic master race to reign supreme in say the year 3000?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Damn it, Atreides, you didn't even vote in your own damned poll. Well, so far genetics are winning by a margin of 1-0-0

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

cona011.jpg

"In the year two thousaaaaaand!

*sings in falsetto voice*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Genetics wins! (intentional)

Anyone else read Revelation Space? If that's where we're going with genetics, count me in.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I just realised that the robot overlords could control our numbers in a more enjoyable way than the Terminator scenario. Think Fry's Lucy Liu in Futurama.

Pleasure/love golems/androids. I used pleasure/love because different people will be in for different things but the outcome's the same. Your soulless soulmate or the perfect pasionate lover(s). The robots will use the basic urges life has embedded in us through the years to control our numbers.

Of course that raises the question whether an artificial lover is any less real than a human one. I could imagine the perfect romance in every way, but then I'd look into their eye as a window into my soul and feel the emptiness echo.

I voted genetics, but it's really a vote for the evolutionary process, which can be applied to silicon-based life forms just as easily as carbon-based ones.

Trying to create truly intelligent AI via the traditional route of engineering leads you to the interesting epistemological question of whether it's even possible to understand something more intelligent than you. Since understanding is critical to engineering and we aren't even close to understanding our own intelligence, I'll go with the "we'll grow'em first" crowd.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

I just realised that the robot overlords could control our numbers in a more enjoyable way than the Terminator scenario.  Think Fry's Lucy Liu in Futurama.

Pleasure/love golems/androids.  I used pleasure/love because different people will be in for different things but the outcome's the same.  Your soulless soulmate or the perfect pasionate lover(s).  The robots will use the basic urges life has embedded in us through the years to control our numbers.

Of course that raises the question whether an artificial lover is any less real than a human one.  I could imagine the perfect romance in every way, but then I'd look into their eye as a window into my soul and feel the emptiness echo.

In other words you favour Huxley's Brave new World view of the future to George Orwell's 1984 view.

I vote for the third way: genetics and AI merged into Homo Sapiens Digitus!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I guess genetics will take the upper hand. Or something entirely unknown today.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Humans will evolve into cyborgs. We already have artifical devices implanted into us like hearts and teeth. Soon we will have a chip stuck in our brain.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Considering computers have just been around for 70 years, maybe 160 if you're stretching the definition I think they're off to a great start. At 70 years life would be lucky if it had single cells. And how many millions of years life took to achieve consciousness is another thing to consider.

In a few centuries I'm kinda backing computers to make huge strides and catch up with life. However I agree with MasterRaven that the winner's probably going to be some hybrid of the two.

Considering computers have just been around for 70 years, maybe 160 if you're stretching the definition I think they're off to a great start.  At 70 years life would be lucky if it had single cells.  And how many millions of years life took to achieve consciousness is another thing to consider.

In a few centuries I'm kinda backing computers to make huge strides and catch up with life.  However I agree with MasterRaven that the winner's probably going to be some hybrid of the two.

What are we if not self-replicating organic computers?

Nah, that's like saying any any decision making's a subset of Computers.  More like certain computer aspects (decision making?) are a subset of... Decision Making.

I'm not certain I correctly understand what you mean(I may need to update my virus definitions?).

Are you saying something(your soul?) manages your brain so that it can manage your functions?

It's a reply to "What are we if not self-replicating organic computers?" then you mention decision making. Granted number crunching doesn't solely define computers, I don't think decision making is defined by computers or that they set the benchmark either.

It's a reply to "What are we if not self-replicating organic computers?" then you mention decision making.  Granted number crunching doesn't solely define computers, I don't think decision making is defined by computers or that they set the benchmark either.

I never mentioned decision making.

The act of "making a decision" is the result of a process launched as a reaction to stimuli, no?

The process activated is dictated, more or less, by your programming, which is basically your genetic code transmitted from your parents and your familly, altered somewhat by your life experiences. The brain is "like" a computer or rather, a computer is "like" a brain.

*We are still comparing theories on organic vs. mechanical computers, right Atreides?*

Ah, so you mean that we're basically a function that takes stimuli as parameters and spits out responses. I agree with you in many ways but at the moment humans are much more sophisticated than computers in that respect so I'd go with "computers being a copy of us" rather than vice-versa in that respect.

I agree with you in many ways but at the moment humans are much more sophisticated than computers in that respect so I'd go with "computers being a copy of us" rather than vice-versa in that respect.

I agree with you completely :)

And in many ways, cars, cameras, industrial robots and many other machines are copies of some part or concept from the human body.

It's almost like we reproduce mechanically as well as biologically... :devil:

Now I'm wondering if there is a relation between the drop in births(if there is one) and the rise of industrialisation/technology... :geek: