Notebook graphics glitch

Okay, I've seen several similar problems to this, but I don't think I've seen this exact one. (bonus points for alliteration)

I'm trying to run KOTOR II on my new laptop. Its a Compaq Presario V5000Z. Basic specs are as follows.

2.2GHz Turion 64

1 gig ram

120 gig hard disk

ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200m (128mb)

From what I've seen I'm pretty sure the problem lies with my ATI card, but first let me explain what happens. When I start up the game it loads fine, the intro credit things load fine (LA, Obsidian, etc) but when I get to the menu, suddenly these blocks of miscolored pixels start invading my screen. If I close the game quickly I can halt their advance, but if I wait and try to fight them off, they over power me, and eventually cover the whole screen making it very difficult to see what I'm doing. The really interesting thing (and by interesting I mean disturbing) is that it often continues after I close the game, infecting my normal windows desktop.

Needless to say, this is extremely annoying. I have KOTOR II patched to current, and I've tried several different things I've seen suggested for drivers, but to no avail. If anyone has faced a similar foe and defeated it, or has insight into my problem, I would be most greatful. I thank you.

Humbly your's,

Kirran Grey

• 1 month later...
Okay, I've seen several similar problems to this, but I don't think I've seen this exact one.  (bonus points for alliteration)

I'm trying to run KOTOR II on my new laptop.  Its a Compaq Presario V5000Z.  Basic specs are as follows.

2.2GHz Turion 64

1 gig ram

120 gig hard disk

ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200m (128mb)

From what I've seen I'm pretty sure the problem lies with my ATI card, but first let me explain what happens....

Humbly your's,

Kirran Grey

I also have the ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M (128mb), and cannot run KOTOR II on this new laptop (3.2GHz AMD Athlon 64; 512mb ram; 80 gig hard disk).

The game installs normally, starts normally, but then the movement keys are erratic and unusable (even if remapped).

I am looking for some type of fix or work-around. I emailed Lucas Arts Tech Support, but they just gave me a long list of how laptops are inferior for running games.

But, this laptop is more of a desktop replacement, and runs many high end games very well. It exceeds all the box listed requirements, except the box says one of the supported video cards is the ATI 300m (and doesn't list the 200m).

I asked Lucas Tech Support how I can get a refund, but (surprise); no reply.

Isn't there something that can be done? Obviously I cannot upgrade my video chip, and I understand that over time the newer games will not run on the laptop, but this laptop is very capable; new; and a desktop-replacement. And with all the complaints I am seeing about KOTOR II from ATI card users, clearly there is a problem.

In this case, shouldn't I be able to get a refund?

TelcoKen

either 1) graphics card or 2) processor, i dont think its the processor but mines 2.8 intel and runs pretty well, so there might be a bit of lag with you guys, but then its most likely your graphics card