Look what's finally out.

12. Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. Can you describe your contribution to the role-playing elements of the game, your experience, and why there was such a dramatic difference between interviews/previews, promising us depth and fusion, and the final product, that, apparently, featured neither of those?

JE Sawyer: Even by popular standards, there are no role-playing elements in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. The reason I asked to not be listed in the credits is because I felt like I contributed virtually nothing to the released game. The story was completely changed, the character advancement system was torn out, item collection was removed, complex combos got the axe, and so on. The only bits that remained from me were superficial things like cultural elements that made no sense in the story's barebones framework. It's certainly possible that the game Midway released was more fun than the game I designed -- but it wasn't the game I designed, period.

RPGCodex Vaultdweller interview with with JE Sawyer, posted on Fri 17 March 2006, 04:05:40

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT