Vista delayed 'til 2007

Bokishi

Moving to C & C.

On second thought, no I'm not. That forum is mostly for games. Most of the board traffic goes through here.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Good. Means I can hold off on upgrading for DX 10 for that much longer.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'll make Lonewolf's words mine:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not going to upgrade at all.

I think Vista is going to be a hard sell. The majority of the installed PC base has not even upgraded to Windows XP; and Microsoft has not shown enough in the way of improvement (i.e. 'features') to make it worthwhile, at least for the consumer. For the hardware manufacturers, oh yeah.

From what I've seen, it grades your PC on a scale of 1 to 5 during installation--and with most of the machines being built right now, you're lucky if you get a 3. In other words, buy a PC off the shelf today, and it will 'fail' the test.

Don't see the percentage in messing with a reasonable, solid-running machine just to use the latest and greatest operating system--because basically that's all Vista is. It enables conversation with the hardware. And security? Yeah, right. All I care about is whether the apps I use run smoothly and quickly, which they already do. My older games run fine, even a little too fast. But on the positive side, when it does come out, I should be able to pick up some mighty fine hardware really cheap.

Why are you longing for an OS that will need 1024 MB RAM and a 256 MB GPU just to run? Not to run applications, just to run itself! Vista is such a system hog, it doesn't run applications, it IS the application.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ace, and I hope it does push forward the DirectX 10 release date. For those that don't know, directX 10 is *not* fully backwards compatible, so your entire gaming collection will have to run through translators which will slow them all down.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

just going to point out that Vista is going to be a lot harder to hack than XP because they revamped the "clipboard" and other such things.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's just a resource hog. I'll pass.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Eventually I'll do a dual boot system with XP and Vista. I'll wait as long as I can though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Over the last year, Microsoft executives have emphasized the importance of reducing the vulnerability of their products to computer viruses and other malicious code. If the security focus means product development takes longer, they have said, so be it.

"We won't compromise on product quality, and we needed just a few more weeks," James Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Windows division, said in a conference call with analysts and journalists.

In an interview after the conference call, Mr. Allchin said that he made the decision to take a few more weeks yesterday mornning after a meeting with the leaders of the Windows development team. No single feature or problem prompted his move, he said.

"But I wanted to push up the quality even higher," Mr. Allchin said. "And the balance between usability and security is a tricky one."

Translation:

Our market analysis has conclusively determined that the best and only excuse for delaying a product is concern for optimum security, so this is our company line.

The security testing process, for example, has included dozens of outside computer security consulting companies

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I WAS happy with Win98 but eventually I was forced to upgrade to WinXP. It probably be the same with Vista. I'll milk XP as long as possible.

Same here. I'll probably wait a couple of years after it's released ( and they've worked the initial bugs out of it ) before I buy it. My latest home-built computer will handle the software requirements of Vista fine, but it's doing well with WinXP right now as well. :huh:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I have no real interest in Vista. Windows XP does what needs to be done and the OS is should not be a resource hog on a system. An OS's purpose is to allow other applications to work on the system, not to hog it up so that nothing else will run.

Good.  Means I can hold off on upgrading for that much longer.

I feel violated. :huh:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Good.  Means I can hold off on upgrading for that much longer.

I feel violated. :(

Then you should have had a larger penetration testing effort conducted on you.

On track- I missed 98, ME and whatever other stuff micro$oft put out before I got XP; I think I'll manage without Vista for a while. :-

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

I have no real interest in Vista.  Windows XP does what needs to be done and the OS is should not be a resource hog on a system.  An OS's purpose is to allow other applications to work on the system, not to hog it up so that nothing else will run.

Nicely put :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein