Has anyone played K2 before K1?

I'm just interested in asking this as I finnally got K1 this past Sunday. As some of you may know, I've beaten K2 on multiple occasions, and all that. Some of the things I was doing would be picking certain dialogue options to see "Influence Gained: Carth" (which I never did see). Naturally, I was already installing mods before I even played the game for the first time (and on my own, I replaced the K1 portrait of T3 with K2's). Hacking through Taris took me longer than I thought (at least it wasn't Peragus :blink: )

However, I'm not playing with any patches, when doing so it always resets and I get nowhere... (if it's screwed up somewhere it's time to download another mod lol j/k [maybe])

Kinda feels like watching the prequels after seeing the OT

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

:huh:

Something is very wrong here... :o (unless you like prequels more ;))

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

my mate played K2 first, and didnt really understand the importance of K1 he reckoned it was boring and all, its the small modifications and enhancements which make the kotor2 menu's and better but not the gameplay and all

I'm just interested in asking this as I finnally got K1 this past Sunday. As some of you may know, I've beaten K2 on multiple occasions, and all that.

what was it like playing K2 before K1. Most people I talked to said they hated Kotor and that was mainly because they played #2 before #1.Actualy after playing #2 they didn't even bother playing #1.Everyone I talked to said that. And everyone who played K1 first is loves it and is going to stick with it.

I pitty the fool who don't have the force.

:rolleyes:

Something is very wrong here... :- (unless you like prequels more :blink:)

episode I and II were bad...episode III was better than the originals, possibly the best movie ever.

kotorsign.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

KOTOR was for me the dawn of a new age. IT was the game thats broke the barrier and allowed action/FPS gamers to open up. I myself HATE RPGs. I only played KOTOR because 1. it was a Star Wars game and 2. I saw the trailer. I was blown away. ANd take it from me (a guy who HATES RPGs) I LOVED KOTOR. IT had one the most intersting storylines in a game for a LONG time.

It took me on a wild ride and really gripped me. I got to see new Force Powers for the 1st time and meet new jedi masters, (instead of the usual Kyle Katarn & Luke Skywalker from JK2 & JK3) new worlds, new people etc. The game was worhty of the GOTY award it won. But the main thing is if you didn't play KOTOR there would be a LOT of things that would be confusing if you playes TSL 1st.

And any sensible gamer will tell you: It's better to play the old ones 1st so all the stuff that you can do now, you couldn't do then, will be appreciated.

Edited by dtriniman

I played K1 first since I bought it when it came out.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

what was it like playing K2 before K1. Most people I talked to said they hated Kotor and that was mainly because they played #2 before #1.Actualy after playing #2 they didn't even bother playing #1.Everyone I talked to said that. And everyone who played K1 first is loves it and is going to stick with it.

I played K2 first...I saw it in the store and I think I thought it was a sequal to a different SW game (ie, one someone had told me about a long time ago) so I bought it.

Then when I realized my mistake and found I loved K2, I bought K1. I never got very far tho...I didn't hate K1, I just found it boring. I have no rational reason for it, beyond the fact that I didn't like the blue alien, Carth's, or the Wookie personality so there was nothing to 'hook' me in early on. I did like the travel system tho. And it was definitely harder than K2...not difficult, mind you, just harder than K2...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wish I could of had the K1 storyline in a K2 interface. Love the influence feature. That concept has a lot of room to grow.

K1 was truly a remarkable story, I loved it.

I must respectfully disagree about E3 being the best. When I first saw it, I just didn't buy off on Anakin's fall to the dark side, sorry. It seemed rushed to me.

Personally, I am one of the odd ones who over the years has come to embrace E5 as my favorite movie, which took me a good 20 years!

-ap76

KOTOR was for me the dawn of a new age. IT was the game thats broke the barrier and allowed action/FPS gamers to open up. I myself HATE RPGs. I only played KOTOR because 1. it was a Star Wars game and 2. I saw the trailer. I was blown away. ANd take it from me (a guy who HATES RPGs) I LOVED KOTOR. IT had one the most intersting storylines in a game for a LONG time.

It took me on a wild ride and really gripped me. I got to see new Force Powers for the 1st time and meet new jedi masters, (instead of the usual Kyle Katarn & Luke Skywalker from JK2 & JK3) new worlds, new people etc. The game was worhty of the GOTY award it won. But the main thing is if you didn't play KOTOR there would be a LOT of things that would be confusing if you playes TSL 1st.

And any sensible gamer will tell you: It's better to play the old ones 1st so all the stuff  that you can do now, you couldn't do then, will be appreciated.

i agree, i hated RPG's like FF and so on, but kotor was different you could independantly chose basically everything, force powers, LS/DS, party members and so on

Wish I could of had the K1 storyline in a K2 interface.  Love the influence feature.  That concept has a lot of room to grow.

K1 was truly a remarkable story, I loved it.

I must respectfully disagree about E3 being the best.  When I first saw it, I just didn't buy off on Anakin's fall to the dark side, sorry. It seemed rushed to me.

Personally, I am one of the odd ones who over the years has come to embrace E5 as my favorite movie, which took me a good 20 years!

-ap76

yes i also agree again, if kotor1 and 2 combined with the best aspects it would be a great game, this is the sort of stuff i would like to see in K3 if there is a k3...

KOTOR passed me by until I just decided to finally get TSL. TSL blew me away - the story telling was fantastic, and really overawed me with a sense of history and mystery that I felt I just HAD to seek out the original. I finally got it through, and to be honest, KOTOR blew me away more.

Sure in some ways I was disappointed - TSL had made some good inovations in the interface that I felt were definite improvements over the original - thus, I was narked not to have them. And the story-telling that had really got my interest going just didn't exist in KOTOR - but over all I really did prefer the KOTOR's story - it perhaps wasn't written as well as in TSL, but my GOD, TSL is so bleak!

I remember, even playing TSL the first time, Peragus was really depressing and seeing a living, moving ship on the entry to Telos I was amazed - my God, the game can handle non-aggressive NCPs! (Civilians in other words)

But all in all, KOTOR is more brighter, lacks some of the comedy of game two but, has, I think, a crew I'd prefer to spend my time with, and I think more lively music. And it was finished properly too.

I'm not rubbishing TSL - far from it, but as a gaming experience , I do prefer KOTOR, even though I played it second.

I'm just interested in asking this as I finnally got K1 this past Sunday. As some of you may know, I've beaten K2 on multiple occasions, and all that.

One thing I wish I could do was have K2's interface in K1... K1 is a deeper game, while K2 improved on K1 in many aspects. I had a nostaglic trip on Dantooine after seeing it in K2... I knew my way around the Matale (Khoonda) grounds and the Enclave grounds, then I almost ended up getting lost when venturing elsewhere from those locations (ie, the Grove and southward). K1's storyline is good minus some of the cliches that come with it (some of the sidequests I've seen are pretty notorious for this).

One example I'll use is (though not really a sidequest):

Replace the Endar Spire with the Tantive IV

Replace Bastila with C-3PO

Replace Taris with Tatooine

Replace the Black Vulkars with Jawas

Replace the Sith Soldiers with Stormtroopers (and while we're at it replace Malak with Vader and Karath with some high ranking Imperial Admiral)

and just continue through the list and you have a hacked up version of ANH

K1 felt a lot like K2 in the beginning (compare Trask and Kreia; Taris and Peragus [though the civilization made it a bit more bearable]), and having the stowaway kinda reminded me of Visas (how efficient is the Ebon Hawk's security system?)

I still play like there's some sort of influence system in K1 (Influence Gained: Bastila)

Of course, some things still don't change. I still dislike Vrook the most of all the Jedi Masters :)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I played K2 first. I pointedly ignored K1 on the grounds that it was Star Wars, and therefore not to be touched with a bargepole. When K2 was released I found I couldn't ignore the series any longer, my resolved crumbled, and I bought it just after it's release. I adored K2. I really did. I was captivated, completely under it's spell.

Eventually, my resolve weakened further and I ventured out to lurk in forums. In the end, I was hearing so many referances to K1 that I decided to buy it. I did so. It didn't capture my heart in the way it's oppressive sequal did, indeed, at the start I was disappointed by it. Eventually, role-playing that particular PC suckered me in and I grew very fond of K1 as well. However, K2 and the Exile will always hold that special place in my heart.

I kinda found K1 to be a little short as well, as the game did shove you forward quite often (or so it seemed to me)

... and the Star Forge made the Trayus Academy look entertaining. At least the Bastila moment was nice...

Weird thing was, on the Star Forge, K2 could have still happened if Revan died. You would have just had the DS ending of K1 and replace the name "Revan" with the name "Malak". Wow.

DAWUSS