Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

I've ridden horses when before, and even when I was kid it was much less frustrating than Oblivion. Besides, that's one aspect where you're overdoing the pointless realism, especially when the horses aren't as fast as they should be, and they can't really do anything.

I dont get it why people dont like the horses, I think theyre fine except a bit expensive for what you use them for. And regarding the animations, did you expect them to take a horse to a Mo-Cap studio?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't dislike the horses in Oblivion. I hate them.

I think some snappy game developer should create "Horse Sim 2006" for those of you who think having a horse is great. Other developers should only include horses if they add something to the game other than a ridiculous horse maneuvering mini-game.

BTW: I don't hate the horses because they're hard to handle. I hate them because they're slow and pointless. I don't use them at all. I still have that painted horse that I got for free and the only thing it does, other than gloat because I can't sell it to a glue factory, is show up whenever I use the fast travel option.

Arguments about horses in real life are completely irrelevant. Should the horses defecate and urinate in the streets? Should the player be forced to pay for the upkeep of his horse? Should the horse be subject to injury after several days hard riding without sufficient feed or care? Should the horse run away when the player engages in combat near it? Should the character be thrown from the horse when it's spooked, thus risking injury? SHould the player be subject to injury or death if the horse rolls over on him during a fight or at some other unexpected event? Don't give me the realism nonsense.

Now, this horse business is nothing but gimmick. It's completely unnecessary for a game like Oblivion. On the other hand, mounted combat is a big chunk of the DnD ruleset, and so I'd much rather see a game that uses that ruleset include horses. ...But not just so a few rabid horse fanatics can sing the glories of looking at the damned things. Make use of the mounted combat rules or simply drop horses entirely. Every hour spent on implementing horses so a few overgrown 4Hers can get their kicks is an hour not spent tightening up the physics, checking for bugs, or implementing something I truly miss in Oblivion... flying. Of course, unlike the idiotic horse-loving crowd, I'm not going to rail against Bethesda for excluding flying from the game. Hell, for all I know, it's in there somewhere and I just haven't found it. On the other hand, maybe they took flying out of the game so they could include horses. A stupid design, but one must bow to the wannabe catwpokes amongst us.

On a lighter note, I've decided to end my current game and start over again.

I was never happy with my decisions for my first character. No, it didn't seem to make the game particularly difficult. It was just galling when I discovered how bad a decision it was to use Speechcraft as a primary skill. For that reason, I decided to retire my former character as the Arch-Mage of the mages' guild. I feel good about it. For me, Oblivion is a game about exploration and adventrure. Not finishing the main story arc is unusual for me, but the way I see it, there are many story arcs. For Catherine, the new head of the guild, the main story was making the guild safe. Her work was vital in preserving the security of the empire from a danger nearly as grave as the one posed by the oblivion gates.

So, here's my character build for Deirdre. Feel free to comment, ridicule, mock, scorn, admire, flame me for hating horse, or whatever else springs to mind.

Deirdre uses magic as her primary inclination.

She prizes Intelligence and Willpower.

She was born under the sign of the Mage.

She is a lovely High Elf.

Her primary skills are:

Athletics

Blade

Alchemy

Alteration

Destruction

Restoration

Illusion

I swapped out Mysticism, which I very rarely used. I included Alchemy so I would have something to pump my intelligence. (I know, it's a fast leveler, but so was Speechcraft and that didn't seem to hurt me much)

I swapped out Speechcraft because it was largely unnecessary, especially in the mid to late-game. I included Blade so I could gain a little extra strength and it's always nice to have alternatives to magic in a fight. My former character mowed down everything, but it sometimes required patience. Now I can finish off battles with my blade. I expect to rely on spells as my primary weapon in combat, but I welcome having options.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think you should name your horse, Eldar. Perhaps 'Rag Nag'. Or you could go with the classics 'Old Paint' or 'Glue Factory'. Maybe bonding with your steed will lead to a better gaming experience. Feed the thing some oats, man!!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think you should name your horse, Eldar.  Perhaps 'Rag Nag'.  Or you could go with the classics 'Old Paint' or 'Glue Factory'.  Maybe bonding with your steed will lead to a better gaming experience.  Feed the thing some oats, man!!!

This made me laugh out loud. I really should. I really wouldn't feed him to the mountain lion, you know.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On a lighter note, I've decided to end my current game and start over again.

I was never happy with my decisions for my first character.  No, it didn't seem to make the game particularly difficult.  It was just galling when I discovered how bad a decision it was to use Speechcraft as a primary skill.  For that reason, I decided to retire my former character as the Arch-Mage of the mages' guild.  I feel good about it.  For me, Oblivion is a game about exploration and adventrure.  Not finishing the main story arc is unusual for me, but the way I see it, there are many story arcs.  For Catherine, the new head of the guild, the main story was making the guild safe.  Her work was vital in preserving the security of the empire from a danger nearly as grave as the one posed by the oblivion gates.

So, here's my character build for Deirdre.  Feel free to comment, ridicule, mock, scorn, admire, flame me for hating horse, or whatever else springs to mind.

Deirdre uses magic as her primary inclination.

She prizes Intelligence and Willpower.

She was born under the sign of the Mage.

She is a lovely High Elf.

Her primary skills are:

Athletics

Blade

Alchemy

Alteration

Destruction

Restoration

Illusion

I swapped out Mysticism, which I very rarely used.  I included Alchemy so I would have something to pump my intelligence.  (I know, it's a fast leveler, but so was Speechcraft and that didn't seem to hurt me much)

I swapped out Speechcraft because it was largely unnecessary, especially in the mid to late-game.  I included Blade so I could gain a little extra strength and it's always nice to have alternatives to magic in a fight.  My former character mowed down everything, but it sometimes required patience.  Now I can finish off battles with my blade.  I expect to rely on spells as my primary weapon in combat, but I welcome having options.

Maybe a new character thread ?

I'll post mine in a bit. I have to wait till the DOA IV match is over though :ermm:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Name it after your wife.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Just because we're talking about horse doesn't mean you have to be a jackass, Pixies. Anyhow, I named my first character after my wife. It would be weird seeing Catherine riding around on Catherine.

Obsidian Plays

It would be funny though.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It would get me slapped. My wife sometimes watches me play these games, you know. Anyhow, I don't actually use my horse. I only see it when I've fast travel to some place that doesn't have a stable.

Obsidian Plays

Thats why it would be funny.

Horse armor is simply the first.  There is more content coming that is much more worthwhile.

That said, if your horse was dying too quickly before, horse armor will help.  It increases the survivability of the horse wearing the armor.

I haven't had a problem, and I'm still riding the first horse ... ... and I've ridden up and down mountains ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm surprised I haven't been flamed yet. You guys know I was just giving you a hard time over the horse thing, right? :Eldar's tongue in cheek grin icon:

Obsidian Plays

Just because we're talking about horse doesn't mean you have to be a jackass, Pixies.  Anyhow, I named my first character after my wife.  It would be weird seeing Catherine riding around on Catherine.

Unless Catherine (PC) is a narcissist ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't dislike the horses in Oblivion.  I hate them.

I think some snappy game developer should create "Horse Sim 2006" for those of you who think having a horse is great.  Other developers should only include horses if they add something to the game other than a ridiculous horse maneuvering mini-game.

BTW:  I don't hate the horses because they're hard to handle.  I hate them because they're slow and pointless.  I don't use them at all.  I still have that painted horse that I got for free and the only thing it does, other than gloat because I can't sell it to a glue factory, is show up whenever I use the fast travel option.

Arguments about horses in real life are completely irrelevant.  Should the horses defecate and urinate in the streets?  Should the player be forced to pay for the upkeep of his horse?  Should the horse be subject to injury after several days hard riding without sufficient feed or care?  Should the horse run away when the player engages in combat near it?  Should the character be thrown from the horse when it's spooked, thus risking injury?  SHould the player be subject to injury or death if the horse rolls over on him during a fight or at some other unexpected event?  Don't give me the realism nonsense.

Eldar, you know horses come in different speeds in Oblivion right? My black horse goes quite fast..it's no Sonic the Hedgehog, but what the heck. Then again, my guy's a heavy armor wearer with relatively low athletics, so maybe it just seems fast. Either way, it's a great benefit over just running.

As for the the actual feel of the horses, it's not irrelevant in a game that attempts to be immersive and present a somewhat lifelike world. I sure as hell don't want a horse in a game to handle like an arcadey sports car, especially when you'll be riding it in first-person. That would greatly hinder the immersion.

As for the defecation and urination thing, the juvenile part of me(85%) says hell yes! Imagine having the capability of encouraging your horse to do its business on the a fallen foe, that would really liven up the game. It would be Radiant. Perhaps in the near future, we'll see the release of an official mod from Bethesda which enables bowel movements for horses...for a price, of course. One can only hope.

Edited by StillLife

Which place sells the black ones? I've forgotten and I dont fancy trooping around since I know it will be the last place I look.

Cheydinhal. Or however you spell it. For 5k. :(

Anybody else get the "Need New Couriers?" topic in the Imperial city...I can't find anybody who'll tell me about it, but I saw it up in the corner a few minutes after I first entered town.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I think the unicorn is the fastest ride you can catch in Oblivion. Of course, you'll always end up in trouble with that damn critter, but it's sooo worth it when you're flying down the road.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You know, that unicorn is the only steed I find tempting. I don't know how you access it, but that sounds great. Unless you're pulling my leg. In which case, I think you're a rat bastard.

Obsidian Plays

I think the unicorn is the fastest ride you can catch in Oblivion. Of course, you'll always end up in trouble with that damn critter, but it's sooo worth it when you're flying down the road.

How do i get the damn thing? I haven't been able to find it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy