Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

I hate my horse and I would gladly feed it to the mountain lion if I thought I could get some coin for it.

Just a quick question: are you guys raising your difficulty settings? I've left mine the same for the whole game and I've fought everything using nothing but destruction magic. Nothing but destruction magic. I don't even equip weapons. I've used bound helmet about ten times. Other than that, I've not used a conjuration spell. The thing is, running back and forth, using potions, and spamming fire/ice/electricity works for everything I've faced so far. Daedra, human, or beast. I'm just wondering if you guys have your settings raised.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I haven't touched my difficulty settings, but then again, I loved the sword fight from the start so my Blade skills are disgustingly high (plus the fact that I found a ring that gives 15 Blade and 15 Block skills permanently). I usually sneak up on things, get the initial 6x surprise bonus (which sometimes even insta-kills some of the mages and stuff, even at my current level 36!) and then just run in, whack them, run out and repeat ad nauseum. It's not very difficult, except for the INSANE goblins. They beat the snot out of me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I started off with it at 75% because of my experience with Morrowind.

I've been doing divine blood with mostly destruction spells. Although now with Azzura's star and soul tap I can recharge things more or less at will.

My character dosnt really have enough magika to spam anything exept stuff like flare and minor heal.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I became guildmaster of the thieves guild not more than five minutes ago. I liked the last mission, it was a bit tougher than the rest and pretty satisfying.

I'm thinking about starting the mage guild quests now, because I want to enchant my helmet with night eye.

Currently maxing out heavy armour so I have more space to carry junk. Making a feather 200 so I have even more space to carry junk.

I might do some more plot stuff before looking for some other shrines.

One question. If you complete the plot does the game end ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Currently maxing out heavy armour so I have more space to carry junk. Making a feather 200 so I have even more space to carry junk.

I might do some more plot stuff before looking for some other shrines.

One question. If you complete the plot does the game end ?

No, you can just continue playing once you've finished the MQ. Raiding dungeons, doing guilds and sidequests etc.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I have been at 70%, only lowered it for the said Clannfear mob which you canNOT run from. There is no way to dodge about 4-5 power lunges at once. The problem is that raising difficulty raises HP, and I really don't like that. Unless I am able to hit multiple sneak attacks, fricking skeletons/zombies take +20 arrows in the face before falling over.

The main plot is a little further on for me now, but it's still fairly unbelievable, removed from the game and with bad dialogue. I mean, why is there absolutely NO chaos in the imperial city or ANYWHERE ELSE? There is no reaction to Septim's death and the alleged destruction of the Imperial dynasty except for stupid RAI conversations. You'd think you could participate in some nobles attempting to coup into power or something. Nope. Maybe Oblivion gates wreaking hell everywhere later on would do something. Nothing so far.

Edited by Tigranes

Isn't that so with every ES-game till date?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I've been encountering a very annoying crash bug while in combat. 75% of the time I fight with melee weapons or hand to hand, the game will simply CTD. I don't know why...all my drivers are up to date. I'll just have to go back to KotOR2 until this problem is resolved.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You mean people haven't used wasd ? :devil:

I often use entirely mouse-based movement in FPRPGs lately. Traditionally, I'm ASDF for twitch gaming (FPS, MMORPG), as this is the fastest twitch configuration for rapid and complex character control and has the additional advantage of putting the fingers permanently in typing position, for the sake of any typed commands. That works out like this:

Forward: D

Backward: A

L-Strafe: S

R-Strafe: F

L-Turn: X

R-Turn V

This means that the fingers do not ever need to lift from the home row or move from key to key for essential motion, and thus, do not produce even a moment's delay in twitch play. Keyboard-only circle strafing (as opposed to mouselook circle-strafing) still requires that one finger drops to the row beneath ASDF (to hit X or V), however.

However, I broke my left wrist a while ago and had to game for a while with only one hand, and got into the habit of mouse-only gaming. Surprisingly, this actually works for non-twitch gameplay on a Logitech MX mouse. The basic motion setup, taken as an example of a setup for Doom 3, looks like the following:

mouse.gif

In RPGs with a fair amount of wandering and either simple or infrequent combat, this is a lazy gamer's dream. It is quite workable in Bloodlines, for example. It is much to my disappointment, therefore, that, as far as I can tell, at present, mouse-based motion isn't possible in Oblivion. I'll look harder for a solution, but at present I can't see how to bind the mouse properly and Oblivion won't seem to recognise the keyboard binds I've associated with my mouse keys in MouseWare (the binds from which Bloodlines and my other games simply interpret as the associated disused keyboard keys).

Note to Bethesda AI-programmers: Invisible people should NOT be able to ask guards to attack you... being invisible and all you know

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Yes; A collector's edition exists. It does not have a leather box (ever seen a leather box for a game? :ermm: ) or 24-karat gold coin in it though...

And why they shouldn't...

Random Guard: Dum die dum die dum

Voice: Mista Guard, there is a mean Khajiit trying to kill me!

*Random Guard looks around and sees nothing... goes :)*

Voice: Please Guard, get off your horse and attack that Khajiit, he tries to kill me!

Random Guard: Kill who?

Random Guard: Doesn't matter that air asks me to, and I am probably turned crazy, but that Kitty will DIE!

*Khajiit dies*

Random Guard: So how was I

Random Guard: Hello?

*Silence*

Random Guard: WTF :wacko:

*Random Guard goes back on his horse... a bounty for killing on him and get's crushed by Random Guard #2*

That's why...

if i was invisible id do it....

Good luck trying to convince them to believe you then... especially if you are loaded with loot (from theft) ;)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

Smacking them upside their armored head might work. :)

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Could somebody tell me why I become a LESSER vampire when feeding myself on some juicy blood?

I am Vampirism 50 before feeding and despite "Additional Vampirism and Vampire Skills added I turn Vampirism 25 and lose LOADS of bonusses. Ofcourse also no longer the sun scorches me (only +)... but I doubt this is meant to be. Feel free to say if it IS meant to be... and then also explain why the hell it is made that way

^

Could somebody tell me why I become a LESSER vampire when feeding myself on some juicy blood?

***Edited***

In Oblivion vampirism causes you to gain certain Advantages which are balanced through disadvantages [sunlight, garlic difficulty to interact with NPCs]....

that said, the longer you wait between feeding more beastlike you become, this increases your bonuses AND weakneses.

After feeding your "Curse" weakens and you can walk in daylight for short time... if you want to become more vampiric dont feed on people [yeah, it sucks... no pun intended]

there are 4 stages of Vampirism in the game.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

So.. I started on the main quest again today. I think I was level 38 when I started and I'm around level 40 now. Just a tip for everyone else: don't wait that long with the main quest! I am facing 3-4 Daedra lords in every battle! I go through healing potions like Whitney through crack, my armour breaks in every battle and it takes ages to go from point A to point B, no matter if the points are barely apart. It's a challenge alright. I refuse to touch the difficulty slider.

On a lighter note: I found a magic glass shield today. Now I need magic greaves and a magic helmet and I'm set :))

Oh Yeah for absolutely no info in and outside of the game. Where did you find this description of a TOTALLY unlogical way of being a vampire (the less blood, the better vampire you become... what did they smoke at Bethesda... :blink: ), so I can update myself on everything that doesn't makes sense so I don't come here complaining about intentional idioticy...?

EDIT; For the upteenth time...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

You mean people haven't used wasd ? :blink:

I often use entirely mouse-based movement in FPRPGs lately. Traditionally, I'm ASDF for twitch gaming (FPS, MMORPG), as this is the fastest twitch configuration for rapid and complex character control and has the additional advantage of putting the fingers permanently in typing position, for the sake of any typed commands. That works out like this:

Forward: D

Backward: A

L-Strafe: S

R-Strafe: F

L-Turn: X

R-Turn V

This means that the fingers do not ever need to lift from the home row or move from key to key for essential motion, and thus, do not produce even a moment's delay in twitch play. Keyboard-only circle strafing (as opposed to mouselook circle-strafing) still requires that one finger drops to the row beneath ASDF (to hit X or V), however.

Cool ... I might even give this a whirl, although I try to use the default (long story).

However, I broke my left wrist a while ago and had to game for a while with only one  hand, and got into the habit of mouse-only gaming.  Surprisingly, this actually works for non-twitch gameplay on a Logitech MX mouse.  The basic motion setup, taken as an example of a setup for Doom 3, looks like the following:

mouse.gif

In RPGs with a fair amount of wandering and either simple or infrequent combat, this is a lazy gamer's dream.  It is quite workable in Bloodlines, for example.  It is much to my disappointment, therefore, that, as far as I can tell, at present, mouse-based motion isn't possible in Oblivion.  I'll look harder for a solution, but at present I can't see how to bind the mouse properly and Oblivion won't seem to recognise the keyboard binds I've associated with my mouse keys in MouseWare (the binds from which Bloodlines and my other games simply interpret as the associated disused keyboard keys).

Can't you hook up a gamepad? I'm sure there is an option to do so (I remember there was the option to reverse the Y-axis in the control options).

Or would that add strain to the wrist?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh Yeah for absolutely no info in and outside of the game. Where did you find this description of a TOTALLY unlogical way of being a vampire (the less blood, the better vampire you become... what did they smoke at Bethesda...  :blink: ), so I can update myself on everything that doesn't makes sense so I don't come here complaining about intentional idioticy...?

EDIT; For the upteenth time...

Makes sense, actually. Vampirism is a curse you know and the "beast" aspect of it is only kept at bay by feeding...so, wouldn't a more powerful vampire, (physically) be less keen on drinking, since they've gone further down the vampiric road?

Well...Makes sense to me anyway.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Sorry for the DP, but can somebody tell me how much further I have to go in the Main quest?

I just finished the

Blood of the gods and allies for Burma

quests.

- Everlast