Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

I picked some really "bad" skills when it comes to fast leveling.

Blade -

Heavy Armour -

Block -

Restoration -

Although I'm familiar enough with the Elder Scrolls to offset that it's just not possible early on because it's very fast indeed.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So, it's not the game's fault: it's the faulty players' strategies (or lack of cogent strategem)!

lack of balancing whilst building character -> lack of balanced character

But thats basically saying you have no choice but to powergame.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So, it's not the game's fault: it's the faulty players' strategies (or lack of cogent strategem)!

lack of balancing whilst building character -> lack of balanced character

But thats basically saying you have no choice but to powergame.

It's therapy! Helping those less fortunate to understand that balance (and moderation) is good in life! :)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But if i was level 1, they would also be level 1, right?

Animals have a fixed level.

Rats are level 1.

Wolves 6

Cougars 10

Bears 16

(got that off the TES boards).

Although the animals scale(as to which you encounter at what level), so you should not run into a bear at level 1 :ph34r:

478327[/snapback]

I'm not entirely on-board with the scaling, leveling, or skills. In fact, I think the dialogue is second rate a lot of the time, tedious most of the time, and hideous the rest of the time. The combat is unexciting. The NPC interaction ranges from irritating to laughable and I often find myself clicking past responses just to get to the point.

...And yet, there it is: the great gaming experience I was trying to find. It's a wonderful game.

The quests are insteresting. Some of them have minor puzzles to complete. Some of them give me a good feeling of accomplishment.

I love looking at the castle from the distant hills. The colors and textures are always good and sometimes breathtaking.

The sense of exploration is balanced by a quick travel scheme that gives us the best of both worlds.

There's a lot to dislike, and some nasty little bugs, but I can only judge a game by my overall satisfaction.

The fact is, however, you're much better off if you're used to the wasd movement scheme.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

But if i was level 1, they would also be level 1, right?

Animals have a fixed level.

Rats are level 1.

Wolves 6

Cougars 10

Bears 16

(got that off the TES boards).

Although the animals scale(as to which you encounter at what level), so you should not run into a bear at level 1 :ph34r:

Thanks. Atleast there's some reason for me to level up :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You mean people use wasd ? :)

Fixed... :lol:

Also cursor stuff for me, mouse in the right hand.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Most likely. But in online FPS people drop like flies.

Already Oblivion-less for several days now. Fahrenheit just hooked me, and I cannot seem to release myself from it's grasp to play ES IV

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Just had that scene actually.

Also nicely that Quantic Dream never QA-tested their "Bonus system". When 20% in the game I already had all buyable stuff bought and 300+ points left to spend. It failed to calculate already spent points and re-added them again when a new bonus card was picked up ingame :D

But I am going off-topic... Oblivion stuff here;

Well, eh, did I mention I haven't played it for quite some time now? I am almost finished with IP though, and then will return to play and flame it here... because I like it you know :lol:

^

I'm not entirely on-board with the scaling, leveling, or skills.  In fact, I think the dialogue is second rate a lot of the time, tedious most of the time, and hideous the rest of the time.  The combat is unexciting.  The NPC interaction ranges from irritating to laughable and I often find myself clicking past responses just to get to the point.

Am I the only one who thinks the dialogue isn't that bad? I've seen much worse than what Oblivion has to offer...though every now and then I see a line that just makes me cringe. On the whole, I find it to be pretty decent...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Nope, the mouse is in my right hand. I'm just used to the arrow keys. I attempted to use wasd but it felt strange. I've been doing it too long to change now.

if you focus on magic casting it not seem possible to use arrows. use "c" to cast spells and numbers 1-8 to determine which spells is active. use right hand for mouse and you would have to be a concert pianist to pull off a functional non-wasd + magic casting character.

in any event it seems more than a little screwy that this game punishes you for specializing in something other than weapons and armour. specialize in magic and you is gonna get crushed by melee warriors and critters. specialize in thiefy and diplomatic skills and you get murderlized by everything.

*shrug*

is not a terrible game even so, but we thinks we has reached the limit o' our patience with it.

when does nwn2 get released?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

oh, and as for the dialogues... is not that they is universally terrible... but there is nothing good neither. if you gots some really nauseating dialogues punctuating loads and loads of mostly forgettable dialogues, chances are you is gonna most recall the terrible stuff.

in any event, how many characters from oblivion is you thinking will likely show up on those ubiquitous Best NPC lists you see at various game magazine sites and nerdling message boards? sure, there is maybe some quests in oblivion that you really fancied, but how many characters did you encounter that you puts in the Best Evar category?

think 'bout it.

HA! Good Fun!

as for the magic bias, we can see that. once you get the real powerful summons then the game is a breeze, but all you do is summon stuff and then try to stay out of harm's way. lame.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm branching off into summoning. One of the things about the series is how it shapes your character. One on one I can take anything my level (at the moment) even two on one if I use the correct spells. Anything more than that and I'm a spot on the cave floor.

Thats really where scaling hurts, since everything is your level, when there are more of them than there are of you.

I lost my horse too :ermm: mountain lion bounded right past me and went straight for the horse. The horse ran and the lion ran it down. Impressive AI but still upsetting since I've had it from the start.

478327[/snapback]

The dialogue could easily have been written by half the regulars on this board. If you gave me the plot, etc, basically what i have to write about, voila. It doesn't take much to write "Your etiquette is refreshing". Wait, you're right, it DOES. I could never write that and live with myself. :p

Not using horses at the moment, it chugs my system bad and the animation looks weird to me. Rescuing Kvatch at level 14, and I finally had to scale down difficulty from 60-70: there is no way I can kill a mage, a fire atronach and 4 clannfears in a small space with no place to hide, after the imperial guards die in 2 seconds. (Thief-mage char)