Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Precisely. Thanks for that honest post, Magical Llyranor.

If I ever get the chance to borrow it I will, though, just so I can brandish a certificate when I make any criticism about the game; but a purchase is out of the question.

Neverwinter Nights 2 better be good, Feargus. I'm watching you.

Shadow, you're plain wrong.  If it's a design feature to have the creature able to disappear into thin air, then it's a bad one.  If it's a bug that I smote some ten creatures under the bridge and every squar inch I could access then don't tell me I missed something.  I scoured the area.  If something is that good at hiding and it's necessary to kill it to further the quest, it's a bug.  Don't go the Troika route and tell me it's a design desicion.  Well... I'll forgive you, but pay attention to how folks treated Troika over the same thing.

I would bet my life savings that the creature didn't "disappear into thin air." Instead, he transitioned out of the area and ran off in fear. Unless you have a save at the point in the quest where you couldn't progress, I can't prove it, but if you do PM me and I'll give you a console command which will prove it.

No. My point is that for it to transition out of the area and successfully run away, thus making the quest dead-end, is a bad thing. I'd say, if the beastie runs away, then that would satisfy the requirements to continue the mission.

It's not a big issue now, however, as I restored from the autosave on entering the area and we smote the little fellers.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

No.  My point is that for it to transition out of the area and successfully run away, thus making the quest dead-end, is a bad thing.  I'd say, if the beastie runs away, then that would satisfy the requirements to continue the mission.

It's not a big issue now, however, as I restored from the autosave on entering the area and we smote the little fellers.

...and now you see one of the many reasons why RAI was toned down.

No.  My point is that for it to transition out of the area and successfully run away, thus making the quest dead-end, is a bad thing.  I'd say, if the beastie runs away, then that would satisfy the requirements to continue the mission.

...and now you see one of the many reasons why RAI was toned down.

Would an amulet to detect a given type of creature for this quest be too much to create as opposed to 'toning down' the AI?

It was a scamp. The creature is insignificant. It's the fact that it got away. Instead, if one makes it out of the area, the mission requirements should set that particular mission as accomplished.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Would an amulet to detect a given type of creature for this quest be too much to create as opposed to 'toning down' the AI?

The creatures scale to level. Eldar likely faced Scamps and Stunted Clanfear. If someone were to be level 20 they would face different (more difficult) creatures. Additionally, there is no effect, at least that I know of, that would detect certain creatures (its either life or nothing). An option would have been quest markers for each creature.

The issue isn't what the creatures were, etc..., the issue is the creature(s?) appeared to "vanish" to the user, and it could have made the quest incompleteable. It is an issue that we'll have to look in to.

It was a scamp.  The creature is insignificant.  It's the fact that it got away.  Instead, if one makes it out of the area, the mission requirements should set that particular mission as accomplished.

Depends: if they run away, then they can return (I asume it was some sort of pest extermination quest), and so your PC would fail to complete it. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The only point was to make it to the front gate whereupon it's locked and I'm told that we must find a different way. If I can't see the beast and the captain can't see the beast, then he should get to getting to the mission objective. This isn't a matter of failing a mission because one got away. I don't think Bethesda would be best served by using that argument. It's clearly a glitch where the captain goes and runs back and forth in front of the gate even though there are no monsters except in the battlements. When I went in the next time, we killed everything and then he immediately told me that I'd have to do something different.

So, the failed quest idea just doesn't work.

Obsidian Plays

Something that keeps popping up is how completely linear the main storyline is. Heck, even the 4 star maps have appeared, now, only you have to do them one at a time (so far, anyway, I've found the first Jedi). The way it progresses reeks of linearity as well. NPC X needs some time to decipher something, you need to do this *specific* quest (that has no bearing with the main storyline in a direct manner) in order for the story to continue. Hmm ;)

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Something that keeps popping up is how completely linear the main storyline is. Heck, even the 4 star maps have appeared, now, only you have to do them one at a time (so far, anyway, I've found the first Jedi). The way it progresses reeks of linearity as well. NPC X needs some time to decipher something, you need to do this *specific* quest (that has no bearing with the main storyline in a direct manner) in order for the story to continue. Hmm :(

I'm not sure where this is coming from. There are no elements in the main quest which have no relevence to the main story.

If you're talking about Azura's quest, you don't actually need Azura's star to complete the quest. The quest requirement is a "Daedric Artifact," this can be fulfilled by the Masque of Calvicus Vile, or the mace of Molag Bal, for example.

In fact, I would recommend using the Masque of Clavicus Vile rather than Azura's Star, because Azura's Star is useful. The trick is finding it.

The only point was to make it to the front gate whereupon it's locked and I'm told that we must find a different way.  If I can't see the beast and the captain can't see the beast, then he should get to getting to the mission objective.  This isn't a matter of failing a mission because one got away.  I don't think Bethesda would be best served by using that argument.  It's clearly a glitch where the captain goes and runs back and forth in front of the gate even though there are no monsters except in the battlements.  When I went in the next time, we killed everything and then he immediately told me that I'd have to do something different.

So, the failed quest idea just doesn't work.

Are you going to continue to harp on the issue? I've already stated it is a bug. It isn't a bug for the reasons you state, but it is a bug.

The quest isn't simply "make it to the front gate." The quest is to clear Kvatch of Daedra. You can figure out on you own, from there, how the quest is outlined. Just imagine the soldiers sent a scout out and he saw at least 5 daedra. Logically, he says "we have to kill 5 daedra to clear the path to the palace gate." You killed 4, and the 5th escaped, the captain continues to look for the Daedra.

As I said, it is a bug. It is being looked into. I'm not quite sure where this comes from:

"This isn't a matter of failing a mission because one got away. I don't think Bethesda would be best served by using that argument."

I've already said it isn't a quest that should be failed.

Edited by Shadowstrider

Update (or "Second Impressions"):

Had to replay a while, but this time no hardlock (thank god) and everything wen't pretty smoothly onward. And when I made it outside I loved the view distance and such... less the fact enemies just spawned behind me out of thin air and than whacked me in the back. Silly me got back into the first visible dungeon again though (oh why oh why are Oblivion Dungeons so boring? Some Dungeon Designer at Bethesda MUST be slapped!), rebringing my "first impression" hatred. Better stay outside from now on...

Anways, some further "issues" I have:

Lockpicking (again); Any lock more difficult than "very easy" is impossible. Reason? You CANNOT move the pick left or right untill the complete up AND down animation is done... then how can you have 2 or more on the same time up? :( Hopefully this is something for Low Level Lockpicking only and not some very stupid porting issue...

Magicka (again); Even the most dangerous enemies seem easy with this. Only have 0.1% health left? Just spend 2 minutes and you have 100% again, due to the healing spell you get at start and the regain rate... what the hell?

Fighting (specific blocking); If you clicked "attack" (left mouse) several times for a Flurry attack it will NOT note when you click the right mouse for blocking. Thus making blocking useless since if you really fight you can't block! (only sissies block/hit/block/hit/block can use it :huh: )

End second impression...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

If it wasn't the regenerating Magicka my character would not have lived as long as she has. SOme of the trap is that game are diabolical and I am having a fairly challenging time of it fighting ghosts and low level daedra. Oh, I use Block. I use it often and I use it lots, then swing, then block, then swing, then block, then swing again!

Edited by Judge Hades

[...]less the fact enemies just spawned behind me out of thin air and than whacked me in the back.[...]

Enemies aren't really "spawned" in Oblivion, at least not in the traditional sense. You'll have to explain how it "spawned behind [you] out of thin air." Enemies either are there or aren't in Oblivion, what exactly happened?

Anways, some further "issues" I have:

Lockpicking (again); Any lock more difficult than "very easy" is impossible. Reason? You CANNOT move the pick left or right untill the complete up AND down animation is done... then how can you have 2 or more on the same time up?  :(  Hopefully this is something for Low Level Lockpicking only and not some very stupid porting issue...

Did you read the manual or the demo text on lock picking?

You must secure the tumbler before moving onto the next. Meaning, once you have pushed a tumbler up you must hit the activate button to keep it in place and then move onto the next one. There are some tricks to the lock picking minigame, but I assure you, it isn't impossible.

Enemies aren't really "spawned" in Oblivion, at least not in the traditional sense.  You'll have to explain how it "spawned behind [you] out of thin air."  Enemies either are there or aren't in Oblivion, what exactly happened?

Killed a mudcrab... nothing around me, so I wen't exploring around a little harbor thingie and found behind a rock there a special flower that activated a quest. Turned around to find a mudcrab jumping into my face :(

Did you read the manual or the demo text on lock picking?

You must secure the tumbler before moving onto the next.  Meaning, once you have pushed a tumbler up you must hit the activate button to keep it in place and then move onto the next one.  There are some tricks to the lock picking minigame, but I assure you, it isn't impossible.

Since I didn't understand jack of the ingame (demo) help I quickly scrolled through the manual to find the "click left mouse button to confirm when all are up" part. So that is how it works, eh? Then even the hard ones would become easy... if the mouse wasn't so damn unresponsive... (and jumped like 3 times when you move it up one time)

Thanks for explaining!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee