Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

I don't see any satire in your posts whatsoever. All I see is someone with a weak argument and using a "OH MY GOD YOU MADE A TYPO, YOU LOSE" mentality.

The satire was in one post. And there's no argument, just an explanation for someone with no sense of irony.

Llyranor, stop hovering this forum and GO PLAY THE DARK BROTHERHOOD GUILD QUEST, FINISH IT (ALL OF IT), AND THEN, AND ONLY THEN, GIVEEEM EEEEE SOMMEMMEEEEEEEEEEEE IMMMMMMMMMPRESIOOOOOOOOONSSSS!!!!!!

(w00t)

GGAAAAAAAAHHHH GRAAAARRHHH

I'm not metadigital, if that's another user.

But in all seriousness, I really want a coherent impression on the Dark Brotherhood guild questline. An impression of the whole guild (as in, completing the whole thing and becoming guild master or whatever before you give any impressions), not just "im one quest into it, this guys face looks funny lawl, npcs are repeating their lines to eachother roflawl, the fps is low, blue blobs wtf?" or "HOLY MOTHER ****, IT'S AWESOME". Since that's basically the only impressions I get from various forums.

It would be very cool for a complete view on that quest line, though not necessarily from you.

Edited by Vic

To the off topicness, I really hope Vic is not metadigital. If there is one type of person that probably shouldn't have alternate accounts, it's a moderator.

I also cringed when there were posts suggesting that Gabrielle was Dark Raven. Imagine if someone reports an alt for breaking forum rules, and the alt ends up "dealing with it" as a moderator as well.

There are two kinds of reviews I'd like to hear. One is a detailed review of the sort that Dark Helmet, Llyranor, Dhruin and others have provided. That's helpful in assessing the game. The other review is a simple "I suggest it" from certain members. Gromnir and I, no matter what else, have had such similar tastes in games over the years that I tend to give weight to his verdict just as much as his argument. Likewise, it seems that meta and I have similar tastes. One person's opinion doesn't make or break the deal, but it can certainly make a difference in my decision.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You should have paid more attention in your writing classes then.

Didn't I say I don't see irony and satire before I have my morning coffee? Yes, I think I did. Also those posts were hours ago, off topic, and resolved. Stay current and thanks for playing.

Edited by Judge Hades

Young grasshopper, do you not know? When you slap the surface of the water, you only get your hand wet?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That is what I am telling you. :p

So, lets just post on topic like we were before Alanschu derailed us by bringing up the previous derailment. :D

Um... So, the NPCs... they talk to each other, eh? :wacko:"

Edited by Judge Hades

I uploaded a short clip featuring about 1 min of NPC-NPC dialogue. The beauty of it is that they're all talking at the same time. 3 megs.

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0E60IWL...R43LWKYZZ7UXNKN

Plan 9 from Tamriel indeed :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The Dark Brotherhood quest line is among the best in the game. I think it is probably the closest to what Hades' is looking for in Oblivion. It is probably the most popular quest line around the office, and I don't think anyone will be disappointed with it.

One of my favorite quest lines is the most difficult quest in the game for someone to finish without a strategy guide... so difficult that I can't see anyone completing it without a map marked with locations marked on it.

In all honesty, aside from the very, very beginning and a a small part of "Act One," Oblivion isn't bad. I don't think there are many games whose developers continue to play the game for fun.

Random first impressions:

-Detailed facial building is nice but allows significantly less control than that of The Sims2 leading to much work to get a decent-looking character. The pregenretated faces are also very ugly.

-Youre a prisoner and you begin in a dungeon, very TES

-The jump animation for the PC is very stiff and doesnt change if youre moving or standing still

-The mandatory grindable rats use a very peculiar jump/attack animation

-The way the character holds a melee weapon is very awkward

-Faces are horrible

-The female PC is obviously suffering from anorexia/bullemia

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "