I hate the fantasy genre

Put a stop to fantasy?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Put a stop to fantasy?

• Yes, we've had enough, put a stop to it now.
    • No! I love fantasy and you're evil and mean.

The trouble with fantasy is that there's too much of it. What with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings becoming popular, every **** with a half-arsed ,sub-D&D wankfest is being published; meaning you have to wade through an ocean of sh!te to find the stuff worth reading.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

But by fantasy you are actually just referring to AD&D rhombs? (I saw how SW was discarded)

Most people (including George Lucas) does not see Star Wars as fantasy. Star Wars has its share of absolute garbage too (KOToR fanfic writers anyone?) but its another rant for another day.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

So, what would you call Snarfquest then?

It had time traveling evil wizards on Harleys, a robot paladin type that got a Knight Order to emulate him, a dragon's head ventilated by a .45 magnum, and starships. Also elves, female humans in chain mail bikinis, medieval kings, and spoiled princesses.

Ah, I loved Snarfquest.

Anyway its not the content that makes a story/movie science fiction or fantasy, it is the thematic tone in which it is portrayed that determines genre. Star Wars is Fantasy.

Anyway its not the content that makes a story/movie science fiction or fantasy, it is the thematic tone in which it is portrayed that determines genre.  Star Wars is Fantasy.

Thats just your bizarre opinion. If you go and ask a random guy on the street he would say that Fantasy is Magic&Dragons and Lasers and starships isnt. In fact, I just hogged this random programmer that just walked by and asked him and he said:

"Sci-fi. If it isnt then Star Trek wouldnt be Sci-fi either, right?"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Don't bother trying to outknowlegde Kaftan. He doesn't budge, even if you are right. The whole genre thing is all balls anyways.

What this rather handsome individual said.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Don't bother trying to outknowlegde Kaftan. He doesn't budge, even if you are right.

What this rather handsome individual said.

Lies. Sometimes I change my mind just to troll :lol:"

(add something about exceptions proving the rule and whatnot)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think by this time that the only Fantasy world I can care about is Warhammer Fantasy. Dirty, evil and mean, which suits me just fine. The Forgotten Realms and it's ilk can go the same way that Dark Sun and Planescape went as far as I care (and it would probably deserve it more than the latter examples..?

So, what would you call Snarfquest then?

It had time traveling evil wizards on Harleys, a robot paladin type that got a Knight Order to emulate him, a dragon's head ventilated by a .45 magnum, and starships.  Also elves, female humans in chain mail bikinis, medieval kings, and spoiled princesses.

Ah, I loved Snarfquest.

Anyway its not the content that makes a story/movie science fiction or fantasy, it is the thematic tone in which it is portrayed that determines genre.  Star Wars is Fantasy.

I don

mdyiny06ana8kv.gif

Through inner peace leads to enlightenment.

Baldur's Gate Modding

"Sci-fi. If it isnt then Star Trek wouldnt be Sci-fi either, right?"

Wrong. If you take away the starships and technology from Star Wars and place it in a medieval setting the story and themes do not fall apart and pretty much still intact.

My definition of Science Fiction is fiction that centers itself around technology and technological advances which propel the story forward and allows story cohesion. Star Trek's theme is that of exploration and meeting new civilizations which can work in a setting without starships and lasers. So you are right, Star Trek is not sci fi. Following this idea neither would Firefly/Serenity.

However a movie like Blade Runner is because without the advances in robotics and cloning major story elements, such as Decker questioning his own humanity, would simply would not exist if you remove the technology. The same can be said Strange Days, which a technological device is central to the theme and conflict of the story.