What games do the developers play?

mkreku

Goldeneye rocked the house. So did Perferct Dark B)

Goldeneye just had that funky aiming thing with the little yellow buttons going on. It was so freaking annoying. It made the game feel less smooth. Halo on the other hand felt that the controls were much nicer.

I'll agree with ya on that one. BUT...for what it was, when it was...Goldeneye was awesome. It was that system (the N64) in general that got me into gaming hardcore. I was smack dab in the middle of college when that thing came out...and that was all she wrote from that point on.

I felt the N64 was a huge disappointment as a system. I got one right at launch, and Mario 64. Playing Mario in 3D was wonderful. The level designs were clever, and the game was non-linear. It was a whole new world for platform titles suddenly.

Yet, the 64 didn't deliver on any decent titles for years after Mario 64's release. Many said the system was a pain to program for, and all the good development houses made Playstation titles. The processor on the 64 was superior to the Playstation's, but due to a poor SDK, and a lack of memory, most N64 graphics were poor.

Hey guys/gals, this is a sample of what I have been playing recently,

• World of Warcraft
  • Starcraft
  • Icewind Dale
  • Project Gotham 2
  • Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
  • and last but not least, KOTOR2 :rolleyes:

As I think Rich mentioned we also play UT2k4 and BF: Vietnam at work occasionally. I enjoyed Halo on the xbox, especially the co-op mode.

-Brennecke

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Did you guys know that brenneke is a kind of ammunition you can load your shotgun with, that turns the shotgun into a cannon? Instead of the ordinary ammunition for shotguns (that contain lots of tiny lead bullets), the brenneke ammunition contain only one huge slug of lead. (A cannon is defined by its calibre, but I forgot the exact limit for when a gun becomes a cannon. I'd think a 10 Gauge shotgun would be nearing if not passing that limit.)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I more or less understand - and agree with - some dislike towards Halo, but towards GTA?

I like GTA. Halo on the otherhand...

Just out of curiosity...what's so BAD about Halo?

It's not that it's inherantly bad, it's just overated.

Even I whom is a fan of mindless shooters can't help but find killing the same enemy over and over boring, sure at first i was all ooo and ahhh, coz it looks pretty, and in that respect it is excellent, the AI was certainly interesting, heck it even made me chuckle on occasion because certain reactions and such had been well thought out to make these inbred aliens quite challenging, it falls down on level design, and content mainly.

As for multiplayer Halo, yeah I suppose it's fun, but it depends how you like to play. I've never been a fan of snipers and such... it boils down to who can shoot who fastest in the head. Frankly I found it boring.

But then again, I just have absolute contempt for console FPS.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I liked Halo for a little while. I don't have an Xbox, so I will playing it co-op with a friend at his house. The controls were fairly good, and you don't get to play co-op shooters too often. Riding around on the back of a Warthog having to compensate for my friend's terrible driving certainly had its moments :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Akari (or any other knowing Dev),

I wonder, who is the superior player when you guys get on the FP shooters together? Do you whoop them all or does Feargus come in and beat you all down? Do be honest now!

I remember Chris Jones being pretty good at Quake 3 and Wolfenstein. I can't really keep up in FP deathmatch games, so I go for teamplay, which I enjoy more anyway.

I can hold my own in deathmatch and I still prefer teamplay. I hate running around a map shooting anyone that moves. I don't see anything on the horizon to replace RtcW.

I remember this one fellow in the clan was an english guy. Heavy accent on voice. Anyhow, he had the foulest mouth. It was the funniest thing to play and have him cursing and making idle chat. Funny, but not always funny to folks trying to compete. heh heh.

Oh well, don't want to hijack the thread.

You should create an Obsidian clan for RtcW and challenge the folks at Midway. :)

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not one for FPS games. But a buddy and mine hosted a Half-Life server for a while anyway.

So, people logged on, and I hopped in, even though I was an easy kill. But I decided to have fun. So I only used the crowbar, even if paired up against automatic weapons and rocket-launchers.

And my player model was that of Bert, from Sesame Street. This one player logged onto the server, saw a giant yellow muppet chasing him with a crowbar and totally flipped out. He started screaming into his headset, "get away from me you lazy-eyed freak!"

It totally made my day.

Akari (or any other knowing Dev),

I wonder, who is the superior player when you guys get on the FP shooters together? Do you whoop them all or does Feargus come in and beat you all down? Do be honest now!

I remember Chris Jones being pretty good at Quake 3 and Wolfenstein. I can't really keep up in FP deathmatch games, so I go for teamplay, which I enjoy more anyway.

We've got several good FPS players here and it's difficult to judge who the top gun is when playing team games (the only thing we play right now is onslaught maps in UT2K4, and occasionally BF:VN). But if I had to pick one person, it would probably be Adam Brennecke. And the best sniper award would probably go to Akari :) Heck, I think I'd have a hard time qualifying for the top 10 around here. I must be getting old... :)

• 2 weeks later...
I felt the N64 was a huge disappointment as a system.  I got one right at launch, and Mario 64.  Playing Mario in 3D was wonderful.  The level designs were clever, and the game was non-linear.  It was a whole new world for platform titles suddenly.

Yet, the 64 didn't deliver on any decent titles for years after Mario 64's release.  Many said the system was a pain to program for, and all the good development houses made Playstation titles.  The processor on the 64 was superior to the Playstation's, but due to a poor SDK, and a lack of memory, most N64 graphics were poor.

There still were some excellent titles for it. Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie still hold a warm place in my heart. Mario Kart 64 owned. Waverace wasn't bad either. Donkey Kong 64 was alright too. :rolleyes:

Recent Games Finished:

PC

Sacred (nearly done, truly huge)

Splinter Cell II

Far Cry

Broken Sword III

Contract JACK (not as good as NOLF, but faster and still fun)

XIII (urgh)

Call of Duty

GBA

Shining Soul I and II (Avoid I. II is much better)

Medal of Honor: Infiltrator

Max Payne (very faithful adaptation)

Metroid: Zero Mission

XBOX

BG:DA II

Beyond Good and Evil (buy it)

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

I-Ninja

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Whiplash (smack 'da bunny)

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (meh)

Grabbed By the Ghoulies (meh x 2)

kill.switch (neat cover mechanics)

Pitfall: The Lost Expedition

Past Favorites:

PC

Thief I and II

Crusader: No Remorse/Regret

Divine Divinity

System Shock I and II

Most LucasArts Adventures

Infocom, baby

PS1

Tomba I and II

Overall Best/Most Influential Games:

The Fool's Errand (sequel is on its way in October)

Ultima IV and V

Might and Magic series

You're my new hero! :D

Not only are you a Metroid, Max Payne, and NOLF fan.....but you actually recommended BG&E. I love you. :rolleyes: That game got way, way too little attention.