The case of the nearsighted GM

We have an odd and slightly curious problem with our current GM. See, he suffers from an eye problem that makes it impossible for him to judge distance. And since he has had this problem since a child hes never been able to and so he cant even guess if he would imagine a room.

So when we play someting can be "close" which is anything from in our faces to 15m away or "a bit further away" which is maybe 20-200m, and "far" which isnt really.. its usually too far away to shoot or do anything with.

This means that any rules that take length or distance into account goes right out the window. It can also be very confusing as you might be led to believe that an enemy is 20m away but in the next round he makes a melee attack on you etc. In ranged combat it can work to our advantage as even a rusty flintlock pistol can shoot infinitly far and retain pefect accuracy

Its strange. And I dont think its fixable since we are both too lazy to use grids&miniatures but also because I dislike using them because it transforms the game from an RPG into a mini-session of Warhammer

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Master spaying?
Yeah, you better off knot knowing. It probably involves some gross perversion of the "c9one of cold" rules, too.

As for the original issue, my usual D&D gm is like that. Add to that the fact that he has no clue of the conversion relations between feet (in which most of the SD&D figures are in, even in our poorly translated versions) and metres (GOD bless the holy International System), and you get the picture. I just always ask "how many metres", and stick to that. If there's a mistake, it's going to be his, not mine.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The only reason why the US and Britain refuses to adapt the more logical and easy-to-understand metric system is because theyre are simply too stubborn(brits) and too lazy(us) to make the switch. The brits even cling to driving on the wrong side of the road.

But to get back on subject, do you people actually make use of grids and miniatures to a large extent to handle combat?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But to get back on subject, do you people actually make use of grids and miniatures to a large extent to handle combat?

My current group in which we play online using OpenRPG uses the built in map grid. It's come in handy a couple times so far what with the fireballs being thrown around by my kobold sorceror. :thumbsup:"