Southpark and Scientology

Atreides

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Chef quit South Park, "saying he could no longer tolerate its religious 'intolerance and bigotry'" which Matt and Trey say is really over his belief in Scientology which was mocked.

Anyway Trapped in the Closet was apparently pulled with rumours about Cruise's involvement. What do you guys think?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

http://www.variety.com/VR1117939918.html

It's funny, he was perfectly okay with cashing the dough made on mocking all the other religions.

Edited by Baley

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Chef quit South Park, "saying he could no longer tolerate its religious 'intolerance and bigotry'" which Matt and Trey say is really over his belief in Scientology which was mocked.

Anyway Trapped in the Closet was apparently pulled with rumours about Cruise's involvement.  What do you guys think?

So what, it's South Park. They make fun of everything.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I thought it was interesting that they had a Muhammad figure way before this political cartoon uproar, and no one blinked twice.

they have also joked about Jews in Nazi Germany, IIRC. how anyone can participate in that show without knowing that it is slimeball humor of the worst kind is beyond me.

I guess it's better late than never.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

http://www.variety.com/VR1117939918.html

It's funny, he was perfectly okay with cashing the dough made on mocking all the other religions.

Baley's keen eye for hypocrisy FTW.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Trapped In The Closet is the funniest South Park episode to date.

John Travolta: "Hey it's really nice in here."

Tom Cruise: "Yea I told ya."

John Travolta: "I feel really safe, oh my GOD!"

R Kelly: "And if Tom Cruise and John Travolta don't come out of the closet I'm gonna cap this b*tch!"

They'll probably come up with a hilarious way to cut Chef out of the series, or maybe change his voice for some wacky reason. Chef's role isn't what it used to be anyway.

Edited by Pope

I thought it was interesting that they had a Muhammad figure way before this political cartoon uproar, and no one blinked twice.

they have also joked about Jews in Nazi Germany, IIRC. how anyone can participate in that show without knowing that it is slimeball humor of the worst kind is beyond me.

I guess it's better late than never.

Why did this make me laugh? :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

People bashing South Park really don't understand its genius. At first it may come off as simple toilet humor, but it honestly is a lot more sophisticated than that. Especially the later seasons (starting from the fifth) are mainly about tackling actuality issues, such as stam cell research and the worshipping of sluts like Paris Hilton. Those episodes more often than not have a hidden message to them. Even the Simpsons only rarely did that. That's why to me, South Park is the best cartoon ever; not only is it hilarious, but it's smart too. You just have to look beyond the cursing and dissing.

People bashing South Park really don't understand its genius. At first it may come off as simple toilet humor, but it honestly is a lot more sophisticated than that. Especially the later seasons (starting from the fifth) are mainly about tackling actuality issues, such as stam cell research and the worshipping of sluts like Paris Hilton. Those episodes more often than not have a hidden message to them. Even the Simpsons only rarely did that. That's why to me, South Park is the best cartoon ever; not only is it hilarious, but it's smart too. You just have to look beyond the cursing and dissing.

The genius of the simpsons is that they never take a side. As soon as they seem to, they undercut it by making fun of it. If anything, they can be said to always come back to the significance of the family unit. To say that they "rarely had a hidden message" and that this makes it not as good as South Park seems to miss the point of either show.

Anyone can make obvious allegories, and South Park has done that plenty of times (the messages are hardly hidden). But that's not particularly special. It is a funny show, but the writing and the messages they achieve are not nearly as clever as what the Simpsons does in subtly undercutting all sides of any given issue.

Even though I do not watch South Park much, but I faintly recall that episode. I guess it wasn't a problem back then. :lol:

Did they put a bomb in his hat or have him talk about virgins to suicide bombers?

It never was just the representation. It was the mockery and the malice.

Sort of like the derogatory anti Jewish jokes that the Europeans used to tell before they killed most of the Jews in Europe.

Some jokes are kinda funny. Some are kinda vicious. Knowing the difference can be a survival skill. :(

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

The genius of the simpsons is that they never take a side. As soon as they seem to, they undercut it by making fun of it. If anything, they can be said to always come back to the significance of the family unit. To say that they "rarely had a hidden message" and that this makes it not as good as South Park seems to miss the point of either show.

Showing the family unit's significance isn't as hilarious as mocking silly modern day phenomena though.

The Simpsons have had their prime. South Park is at the top of my list now.

Anyway, I'm not so familiar with South Park, although I have seen a few shows.

It seems pretty smart to me - mostly exposing hypocracy every which way.

Not much malice I can detect - although I may just be missing it.

Too bad about the scientology show. I guess we will have to wait to see what they have in mind.

But we will, I'm sure.

:lol:

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

turns out isaac hayes had a stroke in january, and probably was not even capable of "quitting" the show. it seems someone on the dark side of the scientology world (er, yeah, all of 'em) actually issued the statement. apparently he was a bit perturbed by what he saw as a misrepresentation of scientology, but was not interested in quitting over it (remember, it originally aired last fall).

the ironic part is he defended scientology in the fall for not practicing such antics, yet here someone goes and quits the show for him, without consulting his actual opinion in the first place.

maybe, if he recovers, he'll see the fools for what they really are: con artists running a cult.

taks

comrade taks... just because.