need help with voices

how do you play the voices outside of the game? i can play some of the music after i changed the copies to .mp3 files, but i cant play the voices or any files in K1 that start with al. when i play them in musicmatch jukebox or winamp, it just skips over them w/out playing. in the miles sound system, it plays loud static and stays at the beginning of the clip for both the .mp3 and .wav versions. i dont want to download emule software or anything else i have to buy, but their has to be a way. help! :geek:

kotorsign.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

Instead of converting the files into .mp3, have you tried just changing the extension itself from .wav to .mp3? I think this trick works for playing them in iTunes.. though I haven't tested it..

I use Nero's "Showtime" program.. and it doesn't require anything.. just double-click the file directly from your StreamVoice folder and voila! it plays.. (go figure)..

Edited by ChAiNz.2da

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

Instead of converting the files into .mp3, have you tried just changing the extension itself from .wav to .mp3? I think this trick works for playing them in iTunes.. though I haven't tested it..

I use Nero's "Showtime" program.. and it doesn't require anything.. just double-click the file directly from your StreamVoice folder and voila! it plays.. (go figure)..

Yeah i tried that too, a hint from my uncle, and it does the same thing. it only works with the music files; all the battle cries, etc., play static. i have a pc, so i dont have iTunes, and i dont plan on getting a Mac.

is this "showtime" program just for Macs? if not, where do i find it?

kotorsign.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

Yeah i tried that too, a hint from my uncle, and it does the same thing.  it only works with the music files; all the battle cries, etc., play static.  i have a pc, so i dont have iTunes, and i dont plan on getting a Mac.

is this "showtime" program just for Macs?  if not, where do i find it?

Showtime is included with the Nero CD/DVD authoring package. Though it isn't free.. (they do offer a free trial however)...

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html

iTunes is available for PC as well :luck: I'm using it now as we speak... but I don't know if you want to download yet *another* audio program just for TSL voices.. still, if you're interested:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

If you're interested in the 'cut scene' voices, a lot of people have already put together those files....battlecookie's sig links has some he did, and this page on tubertarian.com has a lot of others. I've also put together a few of the regular ingame speeches and misc stuff from the game on my page, nothing special or organized tho, heh.

If you're interested in just grabbing some of the cries and sounds for your own use and nothing else is working for you, you can always download something like wavepad and record the sounds directly while playing the game - turn down the volume on everything but the voices etc. - then edit the resulting file for the bits you want.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

im not sure if i want to download another program, i already downloaded miles and winamp. i read on some of the other forums that you could just go into the files and listen to them, but i havent figured out how...

kotorsign.jpg

Well, your soundcard software may already have some kind of recorder in it, which is all wavepad is (besides a soundfile editor).

I have never been able to play the Kotor soundfiles without Miles (miles works for me...), no matter the method suggested...some people can just rename the files and it works, others have other ways...unfortunately there's no guarantee they'll work for you and your system/set up. I'm surprised Miles doesn't work...perhaps there's some user error going on. Did you play them thru Miles as is, not after changing them to mp3 or whatever etc?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ya, tried them as both .wav files (original form) and as .mp3 files, with the same result. and i dont understand why my software would matter, as the sound works just fine in the game.

kotorsign.jpg

I can play the .wav files from the KotoR2 dir with Miles player. Just right click on the file, select open with...if you don't have an option for open with create a Send to option by creating a shortcut here: C:\Documents and Settings\"User"\SendTo. Which then when you right click go to Send to and open with the short cut link there.

It's likely how your sound settings are configured. Not pointing to the right device for play back, recording and that. start-> control panel-> sounds and audio-> audio tab and voice tab. While that is open check the advanced under volume to see if any of the adjustments is turned down or muted.