PS3 release date

Spider

From all the specs and info available I prefer HD-DVD.

There is only one thing HD-DVD has over Blu-Ray. Cheaper players. That advantage will be gone once the PS3 is released.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Really?

What will eventually get my (wallet's) vote will be the system that has scratch-proof media. Like we were promised with the compact disc. And didn't get.

Actually, I guess I'll not have that much choice, once a format takes off. But my HEART AND MIND will go to the one as suggested, above.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think Sony has the biggest bang for the price department for they have 2 older generations of games to draw from with 95% to 99% compatibility while X Box 350's compatibility is quite a bit less than that.

With all that this machine can do I would be surprised if it is about $600 to $800 in retail.

Ya but where can you buy those old games any way? Exactly.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

If you have them already, or Ebay.

If you have them already than you already own a PS1 or PS2. And almost any of the good games are very over priced now a days.

That depends on how Microsoft plays it.  Sony has Square=Enix and if Microsoft plays their cards right they will have Bethesda, Bioware, and Obsidian in their pocket.

Isn't Square no longer PS only?

I think that it will do much better than that.  The Japanesse will buy the system in droves and have minor riots.  Also Sony knows how to lauch a system and will have games that are worth playing at launch unlike the X Box 360.

Are you joking? Don't you remember when the PS2 was released?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I think Sony has the biggest bang for the price department for they have 2 older generations of games to draw from with 95% to 99% compatibility while X Box 350's compatibility is quite a bit less than that.

With all that this machine can do I would be surprised if it is about $600 to $800 in retail.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony supply old PSone and PS2 games online, as part of the networked assets. They may even charge a nominal fee. I'd still be interested: some good games in the back catalogue (50% of last generation, plus the PSone stuff).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The "Basic" level of service (similar to the 360 silver subscription) will be free.

Not true at all. Silver "subscription" (why do they bother calling it that?) doesn't allow you to do much more but to look at commercials for stuff you have to pay for.

"Silver members begin by picking a gamertag, an online "handle," and building a gamer profile, just like Gold subscribers.

Of course, Xbox Live is primarily an online multiplayer service, and you need an Xbox Live Gold Membership to do that. "

With Silver I can create a gamer profile but I need Gold to actually play the games. Gee, thanks so ****ing much!

Source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/

The Sony Basic online service is supposed to allow you to play games online for free. That's a HUGE difference.

But how much are they going to be able to support it? They're losing a good amount of money by offering for free and another thing you have to deal with people with dial-up. That means lag.

Anyways, silver isn't as bad as you are making it seem.  It allows you to log in and keeps track of the games you play.  It's free, what do you expect?  Gold isn't some nirvana of gaming, it just lets you play online.  That's pointless for anti-social folks.

Well the big difference of course,is that gold costs a monthly fee. Sony's online plan is for free gaming. Which lets face it,is the meat of any such service.

If you follow the link(a couple of posts up) there is a more detailed explanation.

Well look at PS2 online service and than look at Xbox's Live service.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony supply old PSone and PS2 games online, as part of the networked assets. They may even charge a nominal fee. I'd still be interested: some good games in the back catalogue (50% of last generation, plus the PSone stuff).

That would be wishful thinking but it probably won't happen for awhile.

There is only one thing HD-DVD has over Blu-Ray. Cheaper players. That advantage will be gone once the PS3 is released.

With a $900 price tag, yeppie. <_<

Edited by Craigboy2

With a $900 price tag, yeppie. <_<

Maybe $900 in new zealand dollars. All signs point to $400-$500 At least if they have any desire to compete with Nintendo and Microsoft.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

But how much are they going to be able to support it? They're losing a good amount of money by offering for free and another thing you have to deal with people with dial-up. That means lag.

It only means lag for the dial-up people, not for you. You'll just be getting lots and lots of free kills in SOCOM 4 >_<

There's no point in comparing the Playstation 2 online service and the Xbox Live service when talking about the Playstation 3 online service, because according to Sony's press statement, the new online service will have a centralized hub (just like Live), it just won't be as controlled by Sony as the Live service is by Microsoft. Developers will get much more power over their respective online games in the Sony system. Microsoft are actually having problems getting MMORPG's developed for their consoles because of their extremely strict (and probably greedy, if I know Microsoft right) rules for usage of their Live service.

Of course, until we get to experience Sony's new online service, this is all speculation and Sony hype.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Coming Soon to PCs

Posted by Zonk on Saturday March 18, @10:19AM

from the not-that-there's-anything-to-play dept.

An anonymous reader writes "A Yahoo! news piece has some sales details for the upcoming Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players. They also have some details on disc drives that read the new formats." From the article: "Sony has priced its first desktop computer that will have a Blu-ray Disc burner. The drive will be able to write to 25GB and 50GB BD-RE (rewritable) and BD-R (write once) discs. Sony will start selling 25GB BD-RE and BD-R discs in April for $20 and $25 respectively and 50GB capacity versions of the same discs later in the year for $48 and $60 respectively. The Vaio RC will be launched in 'early summer' and will cost around $2300. At the CeBIT show in Germany last week, Sony announced plans for a Vaio notebook with a Blu-ray Disc drive."

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There's no point in comparing the Playstation 2 online service and the Xbox Live service when talking about the Playstation 3 online service, because according to Sony's press statement, the new online service will have a centralized hub (just like Live), it just won't be as controlled by Sony as the Live service is by Microsoft. Developers will get much more power over their respective online games in the Sony system. Microsoft are actually having problems getting MMORPG's developed for their consoles because of their extremely strict (and probably greedy, if I know Microsoft right) rules for usage of their Live service.

Of course, until we get to experience Sony's new online service, this is all speculation and Sony hype.

Like I said just look at PS2's current online system and you'll have an idea of PS3's online system. Pitty isn't it?

Like I said just look at PS2's current online system and you'll have an idea of PS3's online system. Pitty isn't it?

Uhm.. what? Is that supposed to be an argument of some kind?

The Playstation 2 barely has any online service. The Playstation 3 will get an online service. Does that make it clearer for you?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Uhm.. what? Is that supposed to be an argument of some kind?

The Playstation 2 barely has any online service. The Playstation 3 will get an online service. Does that make it clearer for you?

What I'm saying is that don't expect something that is ten times better than xbox live becuase Sony dosen't really have any experience with a online console service. And another thing is how much are they willing to put in it when they're not making any money from it.

I am detecting an argument against a fanboy....good luck mkreku.

Coming from you guys, that's pretty ironic.

Edited by Craigboy2