PS3 release date

Spider

I think Sony is betting the farm on this one. No one really has any idea how it will turn out.

Meta is right, though, this is not just about gaming anymore. This is about who will put a "content device" in your living room. This upcoming gen does not take us all the way there but it is a step closer to full integration of entertainment systems.

The price point is the dilemma and the curious question: will Sony offer a price that people will buy into? (and thereby take an enormous loss leader up front) or will they price it relative to what it is and does and, thereby, price it into a niche high-end market? and further complicating this is the whole standards war for next-gen DVD players.

my sense is that they will end up with a low price point but will not really manufacture enough units....basically, there will not be enough units to go around.

PS3s will sell on eBay for higher than the suggested price point (for a long time).

I think Sony is betting the farm on this one.  No one really has any idea how it will turn out.

Meta is right, though, this is not just about gaming anymore.  This is about who will put a "content device" in your living  room.  This upcoming gen does not take us all the way there but it is a step closer to full integration of entertainment systems.

The price point is the dilemma and the curious question: will Sony offer a price that people will buy into? (and thereby take an enormous loss leader up front) or will they price it relative to what it is and does and, thereby, price it into a niche high-end market?  and further complicating this is the whole standards war for next-gen DVD players.

my sense is that they will end up with a low price point but will not really manufacture enough units....basically, there will not be enough units to go around.

PS3s will sell on eBay for higher than the suggested price point (for a long time).

Well the price is a curious thing. I just looked up HD DVD players (Toshiba) and aside from there not being anything to play on them they are quoted with prices of $500 and $800.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's very simple. Movies now come on two DvD's as standard because of the extra features.

This is what I dug up on the two although I didnt look very hard.

blu ray

Backwards

compatible DVD

JVC Hybrid DVD-9

+ Blu-Ray Layer 

HD-DVD

DVD

Hybrid DVD-5

+ 15Gb HD Layer

If one will play all current movies and the other wont, that will be a big head start.

I found price points for the two HD players of $500 and $800 respectively.So if your looking for a next gen player , then a PS3 will be in the same ballpark or cheaper.

Lest we forget the 360 was supposed to come with a HD DVD till delays changed that .DVD was not the first choice format  :-"

Are you trying to say that HD-DVD won't be backwards compatible? You're kind of running in a circle that I'm not following. It's becoming increasingly difficult to even respond to your posts as you seem to be rambling, or going off in a direction that is different than mine.

By the time the PS3 releases, both standard HD-DVD players and standard Blu-Ray players will have fallen in price. On top of that, you'll still have increased costs for media, and the lack of the "DVD" name for Blu Ray, which outside of the hardcore internet users, means a lot to people.

The Xbox 360 was never meant to have a HD-DVD drive, please don't try and claim otherwise. It was simply a silly internet rumor spun wild by fans.

Are you trying to say that HD-DVD won't be backwards compatible?  You're kind of running in a circle that I'm not following.  It's becoming increasingly difficult to even respond to your posts as you seem to be rambling, or going off in a direction that is different than mine.

By the time the PS3 releases, both standard HD-DVD players and standard Blu-Ray players will have fallen in price.  On top of that, you'll still have increased costs for media, and the lack of the "DVD" name for Blu Ray, which outside of the hardcore internet users, means a lot to people.

The Xbox 360 was never meant to have a HD-DVD drive, please don't try and claim otherwise.  It was simply a silly internet rumor spun wild by fans.

I'm not sure. I recall hearing something to that effect and the specs there says HD DVD wont support DVD-9.

Your talking a matter of months and it depends on how they are selling. DVD's held their prices for quite a time. Unless you get a flood of cheap chinese imports.

It was in the 360 specs for a very long time. :D I could probably dig up some news story from Eurogamer, but frankly not that bothered. I know I'd rather have 50 GB to play around with than 9 GB.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm not sure. I recall hearing something to that effect and the specs there says HD DVD wont support DVD-9.

Your talking a matter of months and it depends on how they are selling. DVD's held their prices for quite a time. Unless you get a flood of cheap chinese imports.

It was in the 360 specs for a very long time.  :D I could probably dig up some news story from Eurogamer, but frankly not that bothered. I know I'd rather have 50 GB to play around with than 9 GB.

HD-DVD players are fully backwards compatible to the current DVD format. Heck, they even share the same manufacturing plants. :-

Yes, DVD prices held, because of lack of competition. Since HD-DVD is outclassed through technology, they are going to instill a price war, that quite frankly, I don't think Sony can afford to support. Which is why I believe Sony is forcing all developers to use Blu Ray discs for PS3 games, whether they need the space or not, this will drive manufacturing costs down a little quicker due to a higher volume being created. They're preparing themselves for a huge price war.

No, the official Xbox 360 specs never had a HD-DVD player. The plan was to always use DVD-9.

I'm done for the night, take care.

While silver doesn't give you access to gaming against other people (except in MMO's and free weekends) it does do a lot more than just allow you to create a profile.  You kind of spun it a little too much.

What? So basically, the online component called Xbox Live Silver generously lets you play with yourself (pun intended)? Gee, thanks, once again.

Please feel free to enlighten us just to what free services Xbox Live Silver offers and it'll be a much more rewarding read than what you added to the discussion so far.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What? So basically, the online component called Xbox Live Silver generously lets you play with yourself (pun intended)? Gee, thanks, once again.

Please feel free to enlighten us just to what free services Xbox Live Silver offers and it'll be a much more rewarding read than what you added to the discussion so far.

Noticed you were typing as I was logging off, so I stayed around to respond, but now I wish I hadn't. I've added a great deal of information to this discussion, sorry if you feel otherwise.

It's a shame that you had to come off as such a jerk with your response, but it'll save me the trouble of having to bother responding to future comments of yours. First impressions mean a lot, and from the "tone" of your response, you seem like a prick.

Silver offers access to the marketplace, which houses all the movie trailers, game trailers, demos, content downloads for games, and Xbox Live Arcade games. On top of that, you still have your friends list, text messaging and voice messaging/chat. Silver still gives you access to MMO games, as well as the ability to game on the free weekends.

That, is significantly more than just "profile creation".

Silver offers access to the marketplace, which houses all the movie trailers, game trailers, demos, content downloads for games, and Xbox Live Arcade games.  On top of that, you still have your friends list, text messaging and voice messaging/chat.  Silver still gives you access to MMO games, as well as the ability to game on the free weekends.

That, is significantly more than just "profile creation".

Ok, let us get this straight: MMO's are not free. Marketplace, sure, that's free. But what do you do there unless you actually pay for something? Trailers are free.. like they always have been and always will be off the internet. Xbox Live Arcade is not free. You pay to play those tiny little games, unless you play them as trial versions, you know, like demo's you can find on the internet.. for free.. Text and voice messaging.. All these "features" are already free everywhere else, of course they're going to be free with Live Silver! They're "selling" already free stuff by stating that it's free (duh), and people actually fall for that. Anyhow, I already summed up all that in my first post:

Silver "subscription" (why do they bother calling it that?) doesn't allow you to do much more but to look at commercials for stuff you have to pay for.

You can call that "significantly more", I just don't agree. It is remarkably greedy of Microsoft to demand more money to let people play their already mega-expensive games online.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

While silver doesn't give you access to gaming against other people (except in MMO's and free weekends) it does do a lot more than just allow you to create a profile.  You kind of spun it a little too much.

Zing!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, not everyone wants to play games online. I think the Xbox marketplace is lame whether you have silver or gold, because they want to charge you for crap like themes and pictures. I bought a theme thinking it might have a few sound effects, but it was just 4 background pics, whoopie.

Anyways, silver isn't as bad as you are making it seem. It allows you to log in and keeps track of the games you play. It's free, what do you expect? Gold isn't some nirvana of gaming, it just lets you play online. That's pointless for anti-social folks.

Anyways, silver isn't as bad as you are making it seem.  It allows you to log in and keeps track of the games you play.  It's free, what do you expect?  Gold isn't some nirvana of gaming, it just lets you play online.  That's pointless for anti-social folks.

Well the big difference of course,is that gold costs a monthly fee. Sony's online plan is for free gaming. Which lets face it,is the meat of any such service.

If you follow the link(a couple of posts up) there is a more detailed explanation.

478327[/snapback]

It was in the 360 specs for a very long time.  :D I could probably dig up some news story from Eurogamer, but frankly not that bothered. I know I'd rather have 50 GB to play around with than 9 GB.

HD-DVD players are fully backwards compatible to the current DVD format. Heck, they even share the same manufacturing plants. :)

Yes, DVD prices held, because of lack of competition. Since HD-DVD is outclassed through technology, they are going to instill a price war, that quite frankly, I don't think Sony can afford to support. Which is why I believe Sony is forcing all developers to use Blu Ray discs for PS3 games, whether they need the space or not, this will drive manufacturing costs down a little quicker due to a higher volume being created. They're preparing themselves for a huge price war.

No, the official Xbox 360 specs never had a HD-DVD player. The plan was to always use DVD-9.

I'm done for the night, take care.

200602102kf.jpg

The boss at Sony, Ken Kutaragi, has announced that the PS3 will be released world-winde in November. Just in time for christmas, then.

Link:

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=846

It's going to be pushed back everywhere except Japan.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

No HD-DVD Movies Until April

Posted by Zonk on Friday March 17, @04:58PM

from the very-expensive-paperweight dept.

Jed from Pan and Scan writes "It's official: when the first HD-DVD players are released on March 28, there will be no movie titles available in the new high-def format for at least another three weeks, and far fewer than initially announced. Warner, the only studio that was planning on having HD-DVD movies to accompany the format's much ballyhooed debut, will now release just three initial HD-DVD titles -- and not until April 18."

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So assuming the prices of the PS3 and XBOX are comparable, just looking at it from a hardware perspective you're getting the Blu-Ray which is potentially worth more?

First of all can somebody please summarise the DVD thing to me?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

He said summarise :thumbsup:

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD = large capacity optical disc media.

Single Layer Blu Ray holds 25GB

Single Layer HD-DVD holds 15GB.

What? That is a summary of all the information.

Don't forget the support for HD-DVD is limited to Toshiba and Microsoft, who only decided to have a different standard because they wanted to control the Digital Rights Management ...

You wrote an anorexic Executive Summary, and that wasn't requested. :p

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So assuming the prices of the PS3 and XBOX are comparable, just looking at it from a hardware perspective you're getting the Blu-Ray which is potentially worth more?

First of all can somebody please summarise the DVD thing to me?

The prices won't be the same, the PS3 will be undercut by the 360, most likely, throughout the entire lifespan of the consoles.