KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Yuck

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Perhaps Korriban might have had another darker name in past times that might be revealed through a legacy of True Sith in K3.

how about ancient Sith holocrons? I'd much rather find a cache of holocrons with people like Marka Ragnos speaking than the deck officer of the Peragus Mining Facility.

don't get me wrong, Peragus was well done. but I think the point is clear: there are ways to make the familiar new. Dantooine is another example....I'd love to see it again but there has to be something new....I don't know, maybe a long-distance adventure of some kind.

and I personally think Iziz would make a great urban hub for the game.

as someone else alluded to, part of the solution might be to have different segments of the game. just as you had no choice about when to go to Peragus or Malachor V, maybe there could be certain segments inside the "middle game" in which you are seperated from your ship and go to a certain world during that time.

you can't go back, since the world is not on your astrocharts. since this segment would be linear, it would allow the devs to have a lot of quests, FMV sequences and lush terrain (since they know no one will miss out on it).

I like having freedom in the middle game but I wouldn't mind if the middle game worlds were often little more than trading posts and side quests. I have no problem with much of the main plot being on worlds that I cannot return to.

It does make sense to have something about planets that have not been previously encountered before. Otherwise it will probably end up like a restoration work rather than a flourishment of uncharted parts in systems of a Kotor game.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Guest The Architect

http://blogs.starwars.com/Star_Wars_Mysteries/14

What do you folks make of this? I doubt this could be KOTOR III, although, I wouldn't be surprised if the game developers of KOTOR III do actually decide to abandon the Revan/Exile/True Sith story-arch because it would be very difficult to write a KOTOR III story in which you go a new main character and select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile, it would be hard to put into one plot, size, costing and time would come into effect there, I still think that the game developers should base the KOTOR III story off Jediphile's, since IMHO, it's the 'solution' and the most sense making KOTOR III story I've read.

Anyway, look, understand people that the game developers would never base a KOTOR III story off a fixed Revan and Exile, it would just be extremely lame, unfair and pathetic if they did and people who think that Revan and/or the Exile are going to be the main PC/s in KOTOR III must learn, they will not! Why? If I explained, my post would be enormously huge and no one would read it, the powerlevels of Revan and the Exile are not the only problem and guess what? Reducing Revan and the Exile's powerlevels just to make them playable again would SUCK! Like I've said, powerlevels are NOT the only problem, think about it.

I'm sure the game developers of a potential KOTOR III would consider killing off Revan and the Exile to eliminate the complications of them appearing in KOTOR III, but they probably would not do that as they know that most people would be disappointend and accuse the game developers of being lazy writers and anti-climatic jerks.

So, look, I won't be surprised if KOTOR III (if it is made) is set in a different timeline and yes, I can definately see a good CRPG Star Wars game being set in between Episode III and Episode IV, I can see the plot potential and the roleplaying potential in a KOTOR III set between Ep III and Ep IV, can anyone else?

Edited by The Architect

I don't think the time period between Episodes III and IV would be a good setting for a KOTOR. The only way I think it might work, would be if you wouldn't be a Jedi, but then it wouldn't be KOTOR anymore.

The big problem is, no matter how the game ends, it simply doesn't matter. It would have to be on a very minor scale, because your character couldn't win on a large scale, as Sidious and Vader remain in control no matter what happens.

You might be able to do a more personal game, like KOTOR II, for example, but it still would be very hard to come up with a meaningful story, maybe harder than finishing the current storyarch.

The only thing I could think of right now, would be that you protect a secret that might save the galaxy. But that only works for a lightsider and still leaves you without a real enemy to fight (unless you want to end the game by being killed by Vader, not something many players would like), not to mention that they currently have this story in a book-series.

As for the pictures the blog is talking about; it is rumoured that they have to do with the Vader-game, as one of the pictures is the same as one in a LucasArts presentation about their next games. You never know, though. The pictures could be from different projects for all we know.

Edited by Dark Wastl

It does make sense to have something about planets that have not been previously encountered before. Otherwise it will probably end up like a restoration work rather than a flourishment of uncharted parts in systems of a Kotor game.

right, I mean, I don't want them to reinvent the wheel every time....nothing wrong with building on what is already there. but they have to keep it interesting.

"the movie era" would be a good time to play a bounty hunter or some other non-Force user.

the good thing about KOTOR/ancient setting is that it is absolutely dominated by Force users.

we probably do need to see more than just 2 factions, though. we need to see all kinds of splinter groups. think of the intrigue of all that: Sith, Krath, Jedi, and various Jedi splinter groups.

this is a feudal time and it should be all about factions.

@The Architect: the problem you are describing is going to continue to be a problem as long as they keep using half-baked pregens as the protagonists.

now, they could say that the games are basically "infinities" and that the continuity story will always be handled in the comics. but they haven't done that yet.

with Revan, we have a name and a previous title "Dark Lord of the Sith".

Exile is really just a backstory but everyone who plays the game has the same backstory...sooooo, we essentially have a pregen.

THE SOLUTION (at least going forward) AS I SEE IT:

* instead of a first name (or title or placeholder name) give the protagonist a fixed SURNAME (i.e. everyone plays "Padawan Stargazer", etc).

* always have a "coprotagonist" with a defined name, gender, backstory, etc.

Bastila, for instance, could be your mentor and coprotagonist in KOTOR 3. in some cases, you even control the coprotagonist when the game goes multithreaded. the advantage of a coprotagonist is that the continuity story has someone that can take full credit for what happened. the padawan can also be mentioned in continuity but still keeping it vague. for instance "Bastila Shan and her Padawan Stargazer set out to.....". The PC is mentioned but the story is more or less told from the hardwired character's perspective.

* have multiple backstories. in other words, let us say that being an exiled Jedi was one of three backstories you could choose from early on in dialogue. that way, you can't just refer to the protagonist as "the Exile" as that was only one possible backstory. that helps keep the PC out of continuity which is ultimately good, IMO.

I actually prefer being able to use your own name i think in a role playing game you should be able to set, alter and modify all parts of your character name, appearence, and items. I didnt like it in k1 where you found out he was revan the character was no longer who i had made him out to be but another character took the flavor out of the game for me at least

I actually prefer being able to use your own name i think in a role playing game you should be able to set, alter and modify all parts of your character name, appearence, and items. I didnt like it in k1 where you found out he was revan the character was no longer who i had made him out to be but another character took the flavor out of the game for me at least

oh, I hear you, the Revan thing was a REALLY CHEAP TRICK from a storytelling perspective.

still, there would be advantages to having a fixed surname...for instance, the NPCs (such as the elders on the council) could call you "Padawan Stargazer" with full voice over. they could also speak of your uncle "Zak Stargazer", etc.

I think a fixed surname would essentially be the best of both worlds: enough backstory to flesh things out while still providing you with control over gender, appearance, alignment, etc and without having to worry about which playthrough of the game is "canonical" and crap like that.

If it's in the time between ROTS and ANH, I wanna be a descendant of Revan or the Exile

As for that blog... He mentions some artwork... Is there a link to that? I can't seem to find it

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

No, wait, even better: Gungan. Can you imagine going DS as a Gungan?

"Mesa going to kill you now, okey-day?"

People would laugh at him instead of fear him.

Better not let the Lord Darth JarJar hear that... :wub:

He was a potential apprentice, you know... :cool:

I think a Gungan jedi would be sweet, if they fixed the whole speech thing

oh, I hear you, the Revan thing was a REALLY CHEAP TRICK from a storytelling perspective.

still, there would be advantages to having a fixed surname...for instance, the NPCs (such as the elders on the council) could call you "Padawan Stargazer" with full voice over. they could also speak of your uncle "Zak Stargazer", etc.

I think a fixed surname would essentially be the best of both worlds: enough backstory to flesh things out while still providing you with control over gender, appearance, alignment, etc and without having to worry about which playthrough of the game is "canonical" and crap like that.

That isn't a bad idea; it would also be easier to flesh out in novelizations, instead of constantly referring to the Jedi Exile as the Jedi Exile (which is probably why we won't be seeing her in very many [if any] comics)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

hmm i agree maybe something like fable where you could buy nicknames my question would be when games like madden and nba live can say my name on the character i create why cant role playing games do the same thing?

I'd say it's because in NBA or Madden only 2-3 guys need to call someone by name, while your RPG-character talks to hundreds of people.

hmm i agree maybe something like fable where you could buy nicknames my question would be when games like madden and nba live can say my name on the character i create why cant role playing games do the same thing?

I'd say it's because in NBA or Madden only 2-3 guys need to call someone by name, while your RPG-character talks to hundreds of people.

Plus they say every common name in America (ie, Jones, Williams, Smith...)

DAWUSS

Better not let the Lord Darth JarJar hear that... :thumbsup:

A gungan jedi wouldn't speak like that because they would be raised by proper speaking jedi and gungans get that speach thing from other gungans around them.

Better not let the Lord Darth JarJar hear that... :)

A gungan jedi wouldn't speak like that because they would be raised by proper speaking jedi and gungans get that speach thing from other gungans around them.

Gungans are to be in Star Wars games only in the way they are in Battlefront: "Meesa gonna die!!" :(

Period!