KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Have any of you playing Oblivion thought how cool that engine would be for KOTOR 3? It took a bit for me to warm up to Oblivion in the first place, mostly because I had to get into the story. That wouldn't be a problem with KOTOR 3 and the rich SW universe that everyone already knows. So what you'd end up with is a cool game that:

1) Lets you physically customize the **** out of your character.

2) Choose from way more races and classes

ok here's my list -

1. custom player like galaxies - they did a wonderful job on galaxies, you can customize almost everything about the player and all the armor/cloth meshes and animations still work. I'd definately like to customize what i have to look at for the next 40 hours of gameplay :)

2. custom lightsaber - of course, isn't this everyone's dream? they have a good start on this already, i love being able to switch out my lenses/crystals - give me hilts !!

3. Let me wander aimlessly to level up - i say no more shuttle crashes, or not being able to leave so many parts of the game. i don't like having to kill everything when it is presented to me so i don't loose my chance to level up. i'd like baddies to respawn, so i don't have to rely on a glitch to get to upper levels.

i like being able to try and speed through parts of the game when i feel like it/ and slow down for others - and not get punished for it.

4. New planets - i'm sick of tantooine - i'd also like a reason to have to revisit planets once i've "conquered" them. So far KOTOR let's us do one main event on a planet and move on - never having to come back to a planet. I'd like to visit the planets in different parts of the story line and actually see change on the planet. The places should be treated like a character i care about - i am saving it after all. they should change and grow with the story.

5. Let me keep playing after the story ends - heh, i know this might sound dumb. for the people who don't care, it won't matter - but for me it would be nice to have some things to do after you save the galaxy. build a temple, train some guys, become a professional pazaak player - just little mini things to do - the availability could even depend on choices made throughout the story.

6. More action in fighting - though i will prob be shunned for saying this - i'd like a more-in-your-face FPS type of combat, oh how i'd love to have force jump and a lightsaber to wreak havoc on my enemies rather than clicking 'attack' and waiting while the computer rolls, and silly anims play that don't really show me how my PC owned a baddie. basically - aside from higher-up power anims, there is no difference (visually) than a lvl 1 fight or a lvl 30 fight. I want slick jedi combat anims or let me to it (FPS combat control) myself :) - is it possible to have it both ways and have a preference?

7. A complete game - i can't tell you how angry i was with the last one! please make sure that you make it complete - whatever it is.

As for story - i think i am owed having the 3rd explain the ending of the 2nd.

tell me how everything is wrapped up - so i can sleep at night.

I don't care about the specifics about the story in the 3rd one - BUT here are suggestions i'd like to see.

A - no memory loss, or have been uber powerful and have to work your way up. If i have to work my way up, then let me start a padwan or someone recently figured out they have jedi powers.

B - New ship, i love the Ebon Hawk - but let it leave with the exile. it's been a number of years and i'd like something updated.

C - Characters / dialogue in which i see the people around me grow - for good or bad. as much as i like influence, i think it would be ok to allow the NPCs to voice / act on their natural disposition to the world around them - not always reacting to my specific choices. I've said above, i'd like to see the galaxy treated as a character - NPCs should react to that as well (on their own)

D - More social relief, these games are about relationships of sorts. i like the random scenes done in the past when 2 certain characters are with each other at certain parts of the game. I think we should have more of this - makes me feel like the group has character and that i don't have 2 mindless drones following me as I alone save the galaxy.

8 - Being able to draw and holster weapons at will.

9 - Jumping - jumping can be done tastefully and add more immersion to the world that you'd react in. I'm not in anyway suggesting that jumping become a main part of gameplay (like a mario-type platform game relies on it) but it would be nice to have a few places where jumping fits in. - luke jumps out of carbonite chamber to avoid being trapped, or jumps over a hole with leah to avoid an overwhelming force.

I think my point is that RPGs shouldn't avoid action. choice is an action, combat is an action. i think to properly immerse the player into a world is comes down to what can the player do? Can i have the choice of solving a dilema with an action other than combat? or talking to a person? i think being able to run away or jump to escape provides the player with freedom of movement - another choice in a story that is just as valid as choosing option 'c' in a dialogue menu

10 - Dynamic marketplace. i want to have some (not all) vendors that carry leveled loot.

11 - i want it on my PC. i want to mod it. i want less glitches. i'd like to see expansions for this title (or at least it made in a way where the community can furnish our own).

i think that's it :)

yes - oblivion has done a great job in immersion !!

6. More action in fighting - though i will prob be shunned for saying this - i'd like a more-in-your-face FPS type of combat, oh how i'd love to have force jump and a lightsaber to wreak havoc on my enemies rather than clicking 'attack' and waiting while the computer rolls, and silly anims play that don't really show me how my PC owned a baddie. basically - aside from higher-up power anims, there is no difference (visually) than a lvl 1 fight or a lvl 30 fight. I want slick jedi combat anims or let me to it (FPS combat control) myself :) - is it possible to have it both ways and have a preference?

9 - Jumping - jumping can be done tastefully and add more immersion to the world that you'd react in. I'm not in anyway suggesting that jumping become a main part of gameplay (like a mario-type platform game relies on it) but it would be nice to have a few places where jumping fits in. - luke jumps out of carbonite chamber to avoid being trapped, or jumps over a hole with leah to avoid an overwhelming force.

I think my point is that RPGs shouldn't avoid action. choice is an action, combat is an action. i think to properly immerse the player into a world is comes down to what can the player do? Can i have the choice of solving a dilema with an action other than combat? or talking to a person? i think being able to run away or jump to escape provides the player with freedom of movement - another choice in a story that is just as valid as choosing option 'c' in a dialogue menu

I always thought after i played the training area of Tomb Raider (didn't finish the first level though :p ), it would be neat to have RPGs with that much freedom of movement and character control (ie: tumbling). But the problems with that are with having party members in combat, it gets difficult, also, for people like me who completely suck at controler based dexterity for combat, the game gets really fracked. And if that turned into hack'n'slash dependant on dexterity - yikes :( That would really ruin the whole RPG experience for me. Afterall, its about the story and characters and all that, and not specifically the combat. But that they should find a happy medium between the 2 is a good point.

7. A complete game - i can't tell you how angry i was with the last one! please make sure that you make it complete - whatever it is.

As for story - i think i am owed having the 3rd explain the ending of the 2nd.

tell me how everything is wrapped up - so i can sleep at night.

:) So true.

C - Characters / dialogue in which i see the people around me grow - for good or bad. as much as i like influence, i think it would be ok to allow the NPCs to voice / act on their natural disposition to the world around them - not always reacting to my specific choices. I've said above, i'd like to see the galaxy treated as a character - NPCs should react to that as well (on their own)

D - More social relief, these games are about relationships of sorts. i like the random scenes done in the past when 2 certain characters are with each other at certain parts of the game. I think we should have more of this - makes me feel like the group has character and that i don't have 2 mindless drones following me as I alone save the galaxy.

Yeah :cool:

8 - Being able to draw and holster weapons at will.

And that the avatars have 2 holsters/sheaths/sabers at the belt/whatever for those who use 2 weapons.

Have any of you playing Oblivion thought how cool that engine would be for KOTOR 3? It took a bit for me to warm up to Oblivion in the first place, mostly because I had to get into the story. That wouldn't be a problem with KOTOR 3 and the rich SW universe that everyone already knows. So what you'd end up with is a cool game that:

1) Lets you physically customize the **** out of your character.

2) Choose from way more races and classes

Guest The Architect

Yeah look, things such as graphics and gampeplay are minor and irrelevant IMO when it comes to the KOTOR games, they are not what makes the games good. You'd expect game developers to work on stuff like graphics and gameplay anyway, it's not a request really, they'll probably just do it anyway.

But I want to see them spend 'way' more time on the plot, characters and building the influence system. Also, I want K3 to have quality over quantity, I don't give a rats ass if K3 is not as long as K1 or K2, a game like K3 needs better party member characters and better planets which means having less planets and party members if you ask me.

Also, whoever the game developer is, make sure you can cater for the sixteen possible gender/alignment combo's of Revan and the Exile, well, I think my signature tells the story, I mean, it's not impossible to do, I can do it, Jediphile can do it, hawk can do it and I reckon Hekate could do it, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about too.

There are two things I DO NOT WANT the game developers to do. Number one, DO NOT FORCE FIXED Revan's and Exile's on us with fixed genders, alignments, appearences, etc and number two, DO NOT ABANDON the Revan/Exile/True Sith story-arch and move on to something new, FINISH OFF WHAT YOU STARTED!

I haven't played Oblivion (yet anyway), but it sounds cooler than crap to me, although I'm not sure it's all relevant to KotOR.

1. Nice, but not essential. As long as there are enough options that are not the same as in K1 or K2, it'll be fine by me.

2. Definitely one of the most promising aspects - I hate the fixed classes of d20 (Star Wars or otherwise). So, would that mean I can play a jedi minotaur or orc?  :o

3. There is already a first person option in K2, though it's stationary and not very good. They could expand that, but I'm not so sure 1st person is right for KotOR, which is very cinematic and needs you to see the heroes do battle. 1st person is fine in a game like Oblivion, which has heavy focus on deep role-playing, but KotOR is much more plot-driven (and that plot is fairly linear...).

4. Good graphics are nice, but not essential to me. The strength of the plot is far more important, though I certainly won't mind better graphics. I'd be happy if they just fixed all those annoying clipping errors!! I swear, if I see one more character poke his vibrosword through a chair or a companion during a cutscene.............

5. Yes, this is another valid point, but it goes back to point 2 about the fixed classes, since d20 places classes and levels above all else. Thankfully many other RPG systems have gone beyond that and embraced a pure skill-based system, which is far more flexible and compelling.

6. No magic in KotOR. And as for the alternatives in KotOR, you can already make impressive numbers of items on the workbench in K2 if you have the right skills.

Like I said, cooler than crap.

I guess my point is that if LA leverages the Oblivion engine, they can give us all this stuff without spending much time on it. Then, they could spend their time really focusing on a compelling story. I agree with many in the forum that the story and plot of KOTOR are the MOST important aspects of the game. The other things are nice to have, but not absolutely necessary. With the Oblivion engine, LA focuses on a kick-ass story, the functionality/gameplay/graphics is already done, and everyone gets what they want.

The jumping in Oblivion is not realistic at all. It's like you can jump ten feet into the air. I personally think the K1 and K2 were fine without jumping.

I don't know if I posted it on this forum or another but, if there were certian classes you could choose that would start the game off differently.

Say you choose a republic soldier (who's appearence and attributes you can choose yourself), you may start the game in a space battle and progress from there.

Maybe you could choose a Jedi class and start the game in a completely different part of the galaxy.

If you did this, the game would have a much higher replay value.

Bring into play the fates of Both Revan and the Exile as well are past party members. Something like The Architect's signiture suggests. That would be pretty cool.

Some of the things I think they need to take our of the current games:

Lost memory. I am so sick of the whole "Who the hell am I?" thing. For both games it was fine, but they can't bring it in a third time.

They need to do away with the incredibly linear worlds. I was so tired of not being able to explore around a little bit more.

If you start as a Jedi, you START with a lightsaber. No more having to look for all the parts you need. It's just dumb.

And much better inventory sorting and access. The inventory sub-menus were good to have, especially the "new", "quest", and "useable" ones and the KotOR II "datapad" one too. But having to scroll through tons of stuff just to read up on an item <_< Being able to put only one thing into a container at a time <_< Having to take every item of a bunch when looting, didn't like that either. Being able to break stuff down at a workbench was a nice way to get rid of some junk, yet there still was so much left over.

The other thing that drives me nuts is having to carry a boatload of junk around because it may come in handy at some point later in the game. Other CRPGs are great examples of that. The useless seeming junk you found at the beginning of the game is actually a holy artifact, the key to solving a puzzle, the big mean Ogre's teddy bear, whatver, and you're screwed without it. Things that are important should be obviously so even if they are obscure. :) Hun? What i mean is stuff that will be important later shoud be made known to the player rather than have 'em hold onto all this junk. Maybe in a "may be important later" sub-menu. Or with a "you get a strange feeling you want to hold onto this for a while" in the item's description, or something.

Guest The Architect
And much better inventory sorting and access. The inventory sub-menus were good to have, especially the "new", "quest", and "useable" ones and the KotOR II "datapad" one too. But having to scroll through tons of stuff just to read up on an item  <_<  Being able to put only one thing into a container at a time  <_<  Having to take every item of a bunch when looting, didn't like that either. Being able to break stuff down at a workbench was a nice way to get rid of some junk, yet there still was so much left over.

The other thing that drives me nuts is having to carry a boatload of junk around because it may come in handy at some point later in the game. Other CRPGs are great examples of that. The useless seeming junk you found at the beginning of the game is actually a holy artifact, the key to solving a puzzle, the big mean Ogre's teddy bear, whatver, and you're screwed without it. Things that are important should be obviously so even if they are obscure.  :ermm:  Hun? What i mean is stuff that will be important later shoud be made known to the player rather than have 'em hold onto all this junk. Maybe in a "may be important later" sub-menu. Or with a "you get a strange feeling you want to hold onto this for a while" in the item's description, or something.

I'm not really all that fussed with things like that, these kind of things are minor to what K3 should focus on and that is the storyline, plot, characters and properly implementing the influence system.

Besides, if you regret getting rid of an 'item' earlier on in the game that would come in handy for you at some later stage in the game well it's your own fault isn't it? Why get rid of an item that you think might come in handy later on? Or if your unsure whether it would be useful or not, then play it safe and keep the item, simple.

But getting back on topic because this is called 'K3: Ideas and Suggestions' afterall I think that a special 'dialogue tree' should be created for your party members so in certain scenario's or whatever depending on their alignment they say or do different things, you could have one for LS, one for 'N' and one for DS, besides, it's realistic from a certain point of view because most people in life can be an **** one day and the other day they can be the nicest person on the planet right?

I'll give you an example on how this proposed dialogue tree could work...

You and HK-47 are being threatened by some menacing thugs on Nar Shadaa, they demand you to give them all of your credits and possessions, now just say regardless of what you decide to do you will end up fighting and kill them, now, as you folks all should know, after you've done something, usually a party member of yours will 'comment' on it. So HK-47 could say...

(LS) HK-47: Master, was such a brutal and un-called for retaliation necessary?

(N) HK-47: If they had of left us alone master, they'd still be alive, the silly meatbags only have themselves to blame for no longer living.

(DS) HK-47: It's a pleasure to work with such a brutal and efficent master. If only I could use a lightsaber, think of all the meatbag's I could gladly decapitate. It makes my reactor core glow just thinking about it.

Yeah I know, I'm no expert at writing characters and dialogue, but you get my point don't you?

Edited by The Architect

Yes, I understand that it would be quiet realistic to dump unimportant stuff in containers on the Ebon Hawk but indeed, the storyline is the most important thing in a game. Have good characters, have Revan and the Exile in it and be able to customize them. Better Graphics / customizable lightsaber hilts / hooded robes etc. allthough nice to have are just luxury game additions which shouldn't be the main focus of Kotor III.

Playing Kotor to me is just like being a movie where you decide what happens which is why I still prefer Kotor I to II.

Edited by hawk

Master Vandar lives!

I'm not really all that fussed with things like that, these kind of things are minor to what K3 should focus on and that is the storyline, plot, characters and properly implementing the influence system.

Agreed. But it'd still be nice to have since so much time is spent dealing with inventory.

Besides, if you regret getting rid of an 'item' earlier on in the game that would come in handy for you at some later stage in the game well it's your own fault isn't it? Why get rid of an item that you think might come in handy later on? Or if your unsure whether it would be useful or not, then play it safe and keep the item, simple.

In NWN and the BGs they had things like toys, books, and other mundane stuff ya'd think, "hey, there is no need for me to take this", but low, later on, it turns out those golden pantaloons actually did something. That is what i'm talking about, not getting rid of an obviously useful item.

But getting back on topic because this is called 'K3: Ideas and Suggestions' afterall I think that a special 'dialogue tree' should be created for your party members so in certain scenario's or whatever depending on their alignment they say or do different things, you could have one for LS, one for 'N' and one for DS, besides, it's realistic from a certain point of view because most people in life can be an **** one day and the other day they can be the nicest person on the planet right?

I'll give you an example on how this proposed dialogue tree could work...

You and HK-47 are being threatened by some menacing thugs on Nar Shadaa, they demand you to give them all of your credits and possessions, now just say regardless of what you decide to do you will end up fighting and kill them, now, as you folks all should know, after you've done something, usually a party member of yours will 'comment' on it. So HK-47 could say...

(LS) HK-47:  Master, was such a brutal and un-called for retaliation necessary?

(N) HK-47:  If they had of left us alone master, they'd still be alive, the silly meatbags only have themselves to blame for no longer living.

(DS) HK-47:  It's a pleasure to work with such a brutal and efficent master. If only I could use a lightsaber, think of all the meatbag's I could gladly decapitate. It makes my reactor core glow just thinking about it.

Yeah I know, I'm no expert at writing characters and dialogue, but you get my point don't you?

I agree with you on all of that. i would also go one further and say i would like to see more options reflecting the player character's personality. I felt in KotOR, they did a good job of that, the player on the most part could be grouchy or sweet, a tad psychotic or virtuous. That is one reason i like LSF most, her dialogue options with Carth felt better to me, and allowed for more personality infusion. I wonder if maybe some dialogue options should come from the class (ie: scoundrel is, um... scoundrally) or maybe from a choice done by the player at character creation or something. I see there being difficulties with implementing such systems though. But i must say, i felt the cast in the first felt more genuine to me specifically because there wasn't an influence system. But if it was done properly, it would be great.

Psst.. you're too modest. :blink:

Yes, I understand that it would be quiet realistic to dump unimportant stuff in containers on the Ebon Hawk but indeed, the storyline is the most important thing in a game. Have good characters, have Revan and the Exile in it and be able to customize them. Better Graphics / customizable lightsaber hilts / hooded robes etc. allthough nice to have are just luxury game additions which shouldn't be the main focus of Kotor III.

Playing Kotor to me is just like being a movie where you decide what happens which is why I still prefer Kotor I to II.

The story line and characters are indeed the most important things. And i prefer the first as well for much the same reasons.

The jumping in Oblivion is not realistic at all.  It's like you can jump ten feet into the air.  I personally think the K1 and K2 were fine without jumping.

I don't know if I posted it on this forum or another but, if there were certian classes you could choose that would start the game off differently.

Say you choose a republic soldier (who's appearence and attributes you can choose yourself), you may start the game in a space battle and progress from there.

Maybe you could choose a Jedi class and start the game in a completely different part of the galaxy.

Bring into play the fates of Both Revan and the Exile as well are past party members.  Something like The Architect's signiture suggests.  That would be pretty cool.

Lost memory.  I am so sick of the whole "Who the hell am I?" thing.  For both games it was fine, but they can't bring it in a third time.

They need to do away with the incredibly linear worlds.  I was so tired of not being able to explore around a little bit more.

If you start as a Jedi, you START with a lightsaber.  No more having to look for all the parts you need.  It's just dumb.

Incase you didn't know, the Jedi use this thing called "Force Jump" I know I know...crazy concept. But it's true.

As far as your other ideas go, I like them.

Starting with different introductions of the same story depending on ur class.

Like using K1 for example....if you were a soldier/mercenary/blaster user class you would start on the ship with that blonde guy. If you were a Jedi you would have been with bastila from the start and instead of rescuing her from the outside you would have had to plan an escape from the inside.

etc. etc.

would be very cool.

And yes, we deserve our lightsabers at the start.

If they take only one idea from Oblivion...even if not the character creation...they MUST take the way Oblivion loads/lets u wander.

The worlds are amazingly detailed and no restrictions. (except if u try to leave the country haha)

and the loading screens are only through main doors/areas but the areas loadthemselves.....CRUCIAL...I say CRUCIAL

The End.

This is off topic and I apologize, but I have to say this, I don't know why Fionavar keeps starting up these threads.

Maybe its so all the K3 people have one central place to talk as much as they want to in hopes that their chatter will be useful and not clutter up the whole board.

Alright, I want HK-47 back, some new proper good looking male heads (models) and a complete story.

Yeah, having HK-47 back again would be nice, i mean we do know that he still exists after SW EP 4. So y not. I would also like to see more customization for you party members, and droids. They are not good enough yet. Also having different ships to chose fom would be nice. Ebo Hawk over and over is getting boring. I want a new ship, and more space stuff. we need to be able to launch into space, and hyperspace from there. That way there our game enemy's could attack us. This would add a great element to the game. And we dont want K3 rushed either. And better more explorable worlds, and just stuff to do messing around would be nice. And we need a love story back like K1. MORE CONTENT.

Edited by Bandak_Starkiller

The jumping in Oblivion is not realistic at all.  It's like you can jump ten feet into the air.  I personally think the K1 and K2 were fine without jumping.

Bring into play the fates of Both Revan and the Exile as well are past party members.  Something like The Architect's signiture suggests.  That would be pretty cool.

Lost memory.  I am so sick of the whole "Who the hell am I?" thing.  For both games it was fine, but they can't bring it in a third time.

They need to do away with the incredibly linear worlds.  I was so tired of not being able to explore around a little bit more.

If you start as a Jedi, you START with a lightsaber.  No more having to look for all the parts you need.  It's just dumb.

Incase you didn't know, the Jedi use this thing called "Force Jump" I know I know...crazy concept. But it's true.

Like using K1 for example....if you were a soldier/mercenary/blaster user class you would start on the ship with that blonde guy. If you were a Jedi you would have been with bastila from the start and instead of rescuing her from the outside you would have had to plan an escape from the inside.

etc. etc.

would be very cool.

If they take only one idea from Oblivion...even if not the character creation...they MUST take the way Oblivion loads/lets u wander.

The worlds are amazingly detailed and no restrictions. (except if u try to leave the country haha)

and the loading screens are only through main doors/areas but the areas loadthemselves.....CRUCIAL...I say CRUCIAL

The End.

That would be rally cool, I like all ur ideas.

right now, I am writing where he could come back.

just say, he and revan will be at each other's throats.

I already wrote his return...

And he and Revan did not fight. Well, at least not until very late in the game... :thumbsup:"

I know it's off-topic but could I perhaps get links to these?

And he and Revan did not fight. Well, at least not until very late in the game... :)"

To my own plot, sure. Just be aware of the length - you have been warned :)

And he and Revan did not fight. Well, at least not until very late in the game... :)"

To my own plot, sure. Just be aware of the length - you have been warned :)

What the hell. Your Nihilus is the same as mine's.

And he and Revan did not fight. Well, at least not until very late in the game... :-"

To my own plot, sure. Just be aware of the length - you have been warned :wub:

Wow, JediPhile. My respect for you just leapt a tall building (in a single bound. :x ) One thing that I have to say though is the lack of Kreia and Malak references and cameos (wheither be flashbacks, holograms, or visions) but yours wasn't the most indepth story. And one thing I learned from this...never listen to fast-paced/triumphant music. It'll just get you excited and be on your mind constantly...

Wow, JediPhile. My respect for you just leapt a tall building (in a single bound.  :) ) One thing that I have to say though is the lack of Kreia and Malak references and cameos (wheither be flashbacks, holograms, or visions) but yours wasn't the most indepth story. And one thing I learned from this...never listen to fast-paced/triumphant music. It'll just get you excited and be on your mind constantly...

Thanks. And you're right that I dont' add a lot of details in places. In some parts that is due to the size the description of the plot would otherwise have, since I know lots of people are put off by lot posts, and I can write very, very long posts. My plot was spread out over five posts that were all very long. But yes, there should obviously be times where Kreia and Malak are mentioned. The masters of K2 should be mentioned, as the Exile's condition is touched upon. But those were the sort of details that can always be added later. Anyway, glad you liked it.

etc. etc.

would be very cool.

The End.

That would be rally cool, I like all ur ideas.

I agree with Bandak Starkiller mainly because all of your ideas are sensible, logical, and are technically possible.

p.s.

Wow, I can remember the very first thread and now we are on 19. Alot can happen in a few months. The only things garanteed in life are taxes, death, and a kotor 3 thread (and also a "what are you listening to" thread).