New Oblivion Review - 93%

Llyranor

There are no spears in Oblivion so you'll have to change that a bit. I have to say that I find it a bit humorous that the Tamriel Empire, just as the Roman empire in the real world, prided itself for it's light infantery who were trained in the art of the sword and the SPEAR doesn't have one of their most important weapons anymore.

Well, the spear animations looked like crap in MW when viewed from third person, s rather then spend a lot of dev time to design whole set of good animations for that one weapon, they just left it out. Disapppointing, yes, but I agree with the thought process. NO game has enough time to do everything.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Though I am a grotesque ES fangirl, I agree with Grommy that pre-ordering this game is kind of eh risky.

Unless, you totally loved MW. Which I did, but I'm still not pre-ordering it.

The world of software does not love those who pre-order.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think I read the Gothic III is trying to create a system where the gameworld is constantly updating your progress, so NPC's know if they've talked to you, if you've had an impact on them, etc.

And I wouldn't be surprised that it would turn up to be more interesting than Radiant AI, which in itself doesn't seem to be a whole much better than what Gothic II already did concerning NPC reactions.

I still will most probably not end up playing the game, because the lack of proper PC-NPC conversation (half-wiki is still part-wiki, after all, and not very acceptable to me).

I agree wholeheartedly, going up to an NPC and clicking a "keyword" is barely better than the "click for next dialouge" of Dungeon Siege and its Ilk

If they pull the same crap on Fallout 3 Im going to personally ...write a very mean, sharp and eloquent article on Gamasutra so that no developer will ever hire an ex. Bethesda dev ever again.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

3) Just a second, before anyone gets the wrong impression here.  In a game that is the scope and scale of Oblivion, there are bound to be bugs.  Lots of bugs.  In TINY games, there will always be bugs.  Comments like this leave the impression that Oblivion is riddled with bugs and show-stoppers.  This is entirely untrue.  Just a stray fact to consider before purchasing:  Oblivion made it through Microsoft certification in its first pass.

Presumably so did KOTOR II..

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

WHat AI system has ever lived up to its pre-relase hype? None that I can think of. AI claims just need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Maybe I've just played too many computer games in my life, but it doesn't bother me if a game uses a conversation tree or keywords or a text parser or whatever. I've enjoyed games that used all those different dialogue systems and I've disliked games that used all those different dialogue systems.

I know its all personal opinion, but I have never understood how clicking a dialogue line is any different from clicking a single word. How is the game experience changed? The usual argument I hear is its less immersive. Right, so is launching a fireball. Maybe I'm just less demanding about what I expect from games.

Don't know really.

The only problem with dialogue is it's a case of best fit since all character with the odd race/gender option will speak the same.

Dialogue can be funny though and it can help people to connect with the character.

Keywords, well you can imagine whatever you character is saying depending on the line of questioning. Which means as long as your imagination is up to the task every character can have their own speach patterns.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's not:

1) An AI revolution

2) A grind

3) Perfectly polished.

1) I wish I could comment about.

2) Definetely not.

3) Just a second, before anyone gets the wrong impression here. In a game that is the scope and scale of Oblivion, there are bound to be bugs. Lots of bugs. In TINY games, there will always be bugs. Comments like this leave the impression that Oblivion is riddled with bugs and show-stoppers. This is entirely untrue. Just a stray fact to consider before purchasing: Oblivion made it through Microsoft certification in its first pass.

If it makes you feel any better, I typically consider polish to be little things and not just bugs. So I didn't consider it to be a negative :thumbsup:

The only problem with dialogue is it's a case of best fit since all character with the odd race/gender option will speak the same.

Dialogue can be funny though and it can help people to connect with the character.

Keywords, well you can imagine whatever you character is saying depending on the line of questioning. Which means as long as your imagination is up to the task every character can have their own speach patterns.

Gaming for me is more of an intellecutal exercise than one of connecting to a character. I guess I look at playing a game as "solving a puzzle" more than anything else. Probably that's why things like story and character and what not don't trouble me too much.

I don't know. We all game for our own reasons.

AI intelligence is very problematic, especially with a game as large as Oblivion is supposed to be.  I think I read the Gothic III is trying to create a system where the gameworld is constantly updating your progress, so NPC's know if they've talked to you, if you've had an impact on them, etc.

HYPE!

RPGs have pretty much always tracked this.

All RPG's track in some way, but I've seen a lot of NPC's have absolutely no clue that I just saved their village. I get my reward, and everyone walks around treating me the same. That's lame.

All RPG's track in some way, but I've seen a lot of NPC's have absolutely no clue that I just saved their village.  I get my reward, and everyone walks around treating me the same.  That's lame.

It always cracked me up that I would save Killian's ass in several involved quests and at the end of it all he wouldn't remember me.

All RPG's track in some way, but I've seen a lot of NPC's have absolutely no clue that I just saved their village.  I get my reward, and everyone walks around treating me the same.  That's lame.

Well usually it's just a few key NPCs which change.

478327[/snapback]

Meh. The 'intellectual exercise' through gameplay is pretty meager.

well, I'm not trying to defend anything. Just trying to figure out why some people are so bothered by certain things, and I am not. I mean, I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I really just don't see the difference between the wiki approach vs the dialogue tree approach. One does not make a game better than the other, as I see it. But obviously some people feel that it does.

The PC Gamer that reviewed this is PC Gamer UK, which is usually tough on games and their faults. 96% is the highest score they've ever given, and it's been to only 4 or so games.

They say the only reason it didn't get "it's rightful place" with the other 96'ers is because of a couple technical issues, and the NPC-NPC dialogue which can sometimes break the immersion from forgetting who you are, or repeating lines to eachother. They also say these are small faults.

BTW, Morrowind got something like a 82 from PC Gamer UK, so this is hardly "another morrowind" as far as they're concerned.

Edited by Vic