Slowly but surely...

That is impossible...

I've had my computer for 4 years now without an upgrade, and it can run most new games at full specs. I am going to need a new video card soon though, my Geforce 4 Ti 4600 just isn't enough for all the newfangled features like bloom and such, and a lot of newer games aren't letting me use AA, while older ones do. Which I don't understand.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I would argue that is a little pessimistic; if one bought a pair of ATi X1900XT in crossfire / nVidia 7800GTX in SLI with a supported PCI-E motherboard and some good Corsair RAM, a decent screen (even a CRT if size is not a factor) and you won't be excluded from any game in the next five years. For sure.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

How long a computer will last depends a lot on how picky one is about some things.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Its all in the timing, budget and parts you get. If you juggle all of those succefully youll be on your way to gaming greatness.

With options to take into considerations such as price drops, release dates, DirectX10, all these new storage devices and other new technologies, you must keep all into conscious when deciding your parts.

The case and motherboard being the last thing you want to upgrade, id make sure to get the most future proof motherboard possible first and foremost. SLI compatible that will handle future CPUs and hold enough pci cards, and hardrives.

You might also want to decide to overclock your parts to get that extra bit of performance. Water cooling might be a good idea.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Note the "very viable". Besides that specs sky-rocket much faster these days than they did 3 years or so ago... and thus PC's become obsolete faster and faster.

With the current Max. of technology it is impossible to keep playing 5 years forward without any update...

Specs don't upgrade faster. Moore's Law has still been doing its thing.

Note the "very viable". Besides that specs sky-rocket much faster these days than they did 3 years or so ago... and thus PC's become obsolete faster and faster.

With the current Max. of technology it is impossible to keep playing 5 years forward without any update...

Specs don't upgrade faster. Moore's Law has still been doing its thing.

Actually I believe it was last year when it finally failed, but it had a good run! :lol:

EDIT: I agree with battlecookies first sentence below

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Well, the processors hit the limit... and now the videocards take over :lol:"

And Meta... if you don't you really save enough money to buy an entire new "up-to-date" PC when the PC becomes obsolete like 3-4 years later... (noting the 3-4 year it is with a PC you buy now... no new card in that course... if you replace the card later a PC might take that 5 year)

Edited by BattleCookiee

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that staggered purchasing of hardware is a better strategy? Possibly.

But nevertheless, all costs are falling, year-on-year.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The latest cards will run the next generation of games very well: the ATi in particular are utilising unified shader technology that allows for better optimisation of transitor real estate (sharing between initial texture vertex shading and eventual bump-mapping iterations); this technology is only just starting to be used by the X1xxx generation.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think a large issue is that people tend to be uncompromising with their performance and graphical fidelity. A game like Half-Life 2 can still be run on hardware from 5 years ago. Even with decent performance. You just won't have the graphical effects as someone that has a computer that is 1 year old.

The funny thing is that games on the "Crap" quality today still look better than the older games on the best quality.

Having said that, there is one thing that makes a 5 year gap problematic at the moment, and that was the evolution of the pixel shader. Some games do require pixel shaders (some people even get screwed over because the DX 9.0 PS implementation had a revamp shortly before the release of some graphics hardware at one point). The pixel shader seems to be the only deal breaker though.

Though you could liken this to the impact that 3D accelerators had back in the day, where you could find games that required them.

Yeah, I found a job.  Overall it doesn't pay a whole lot.  $8 an hour standing behind a counter doing minimal cleaning and restocking for 10 hours a night, four times a week, but I am focusing all my free money on my computer.  I want a system that in 5 years time still very viable.

$8.00 an hour? Is your cost of living in Iowa cheaper?

Yeah, I found a job.  Overall it doesn't pay a whole lot.  $8 an hour standing behind a counter doing minimal cleaning and restocking for 10 hours a night, four times a week, but I am focusing all my free money on my computer.  I want a system that in 5 years time still very viable.

My guess is that he has no rent or car or food to pay for.

Which only makes him one lucky frak. :D

"Baulder's"? :(

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Probably.

When I was living in missouri, it was easy to live on the minimum wage, anything more than that and you could live quite well :)